collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112336 times)

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home.
« Reply #255 on: June 18, 2021, 04:51:03 PM »
Jarvis got a bad injury to be fair and was never able to recapture his form.

Bentley supposedly didn't really like football.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #256 on: June 19, 2021, 08:44:19 AM »
I rate those 2 crosses for Gabby at the Sty or at Old Trafford or the 2 goals he scored against Small Heath when we battered them 5, slightly higher than a dive that one time in a game we got shovelled in anyway.

The goal at Everton remains one of my favourite Villa moments ever and I wasn't even there. Had been out for lunch with the missus and dived into The Village in Moseley for the last half an hour, the bar was full of gleeful noses texting their mates when Lescott scored, so they weren't watching when it went it, and me and the one other Villa fan in there sitting about 10ft away from us went mental.

The looks on their faces was priceless.

I was lucky enough to be at that game with my son - when Young scored he ran over to the Villa fans and started celebrating right in front of us - it was a magical moment.

On the Monday my wife was given a keepsake from one of her bosses at work - it was the shirt Ashley wore in the game - signed on the back within the white shirt number.

I later wrote to Ashley and asked him to sign the ticket stub from the game and a photograph of him celebrating (which was featured in one of our subsequent home match programmes). They were returned promptly and both signed.

It was a true dad and lad moment that will never be forgotten by me and VCTM jnr

Ironically the signed shirt is displayed in jnrs` room alongside signed photos of David O`Leary and Gareth Barry :)

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #257 on: June 19, 2021, 09:01:12 AM »
The Everton goal is a favourite family memory. I was there with my niece and nephew, he was 9 and small enough to be standing on the seat. When Lescott scored and came to us giving it large his stricken little face looked down at me and said “we aren’t going to win now are we?” and I agreed. Moments later we were leaping around and his sister’s phone shot underneath the seats – recovered safely thank goodness. We were messaging each other about this when he signed on Thursday.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #258 on: June 19, 2021, 09:59:01 AM »
I only remember me and the missus leaping around the living room screaming - but it still goes to show what a great joyous moment it was.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #259 on: June 19, 2021, 10:33:52 AM »
I was at the Inn on the Green in Acocks Green.

A Nose in there was delighted when Everton equalised.

I may have knocked a table over in the melee after Young scored the winner.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #260 on: June 19, 2021, 10:34:56 AM »
I think the Everton goal was one of my favourite ever Villa goals. Absolute scenes and limbs, scenes and limbs.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #261 on: June 19, 2021, 11:15:18 AM »
I was listening to it on the radio in a house I shared with two other reprobates in Norwich. It looked like a crack den. I made so much noise that my housemate came to my room holding a cricket bat, thinking that something terrible was going on.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #262 on: June 19, 2021, 11:18:15 AM »
One thing I will always say about Young is he's completely maximised his talent in the game compared to many others who came through at the same time, compare him to Wright-Phillips and Walcott for instance who basically both declined from 25 onwards, Young didn't.

The amount of attacking players who've come through in the premier league and gone into semi-retirement in their mid-20s in the last 20-30 years is shocking. It's happened in other positions as well but wingers in particular have been terrible for getting a handful of caps and then giving up.

Bentley and Jarvis spring to mind. Loftus Cheek heading there

Aaron Lennon seemed like Young's rival back in 2007-2010?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #263 on: June 19, 2021, 12:04:59 PM »
He was, hence he was in the song (I think this is right...)

"He plays down the left and down the right.
Is it Shawn Wright-Phillips? No, he's shite.
Is it Aaron Lennon? Is someone gonna tell 'em?
It's Ashley Young he's fucking dynamite.

Singing aye aye Ashley Ashley Young..."

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #264 on: June 19, 2021, 01:29:03 PM »
I was at Everton for the "Ashley goal" but i sat down in a huff after Lescott equalised, and was still sitting down moaning, when everyone started going barmy. I didnt see the goal until the Monday.

I also missed Sidwells goal as I was late getting into Goodison Park!!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #265 on: June 19, 2021, 01:32:48 PM »
I was in the upper tier and took a chunk out of my shin on the wooden seat in front. Absolute bedlam. Can't wait for the to be back.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home nearly
« Reply #266 on: June 19, 2021, 04:49:20 PM »
Makes total sense, senior head and experience in the dressing room that weve lost. Can cover both fullback roles. Done deal

When did he last play in a back four at full back? Inter play with a back 3, so did England in 2018. With United, I can't recall to be honest what formation they played in the LvG/Mourinho days.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #267 on: June 19, 2021, 05:14:13 PM »
My Daughter and I were guests of an Evertonian friend and were seated in the VIP area along with many other Evertonians (and a couple of Villans) so were unable to truly show our elation when AY scored but behind those calm exteriorsit was sheer bedlam

Offline danno

Re: Ashley Young - welcome home nearly
« Reply #268 on: June 19, 2021, 05:36:04 PM »
Makes total sense, senior head and experience in the dressing room that weve lost. Can cover both fullback roles. Done deal

When did he last play in a back four at full back? Inter play with a back 3, so did England in 2018. With United, I can't recall to be honest what formation they played in the LvG/Mourinho days.

Under Solksjaer he was captain and first choice at left back right up until he joined Inter Milan.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #269 on: June 19, 2021, 06:02:44 PM »
That goal at Everton is my single favourite moment at any match. Incredible.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal