collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112359 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home.
« Reply #240 on: June 18, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »
I'd love it if we get treated to an old photo of him with a 10/11 years old Jack Grealish!#

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #241 on: June 18, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »
I'd love it if we get treated to an old photo of him with a 10/11 years old Jack Grealish!#

I wouldn't. I feel old enough as it is.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #242 on: June 18, 2021, 12:06:11 PM »
I always found it curious how Milner appeared to be seen much favourably than Young, when I think the latter was more loyal to Villa. That’s not a criticism of Milner by the way, loved his time at the club, but I always felt that Young’s time wasn’t universally appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you, Paul. Miner was decent, but he never really excited me, and although a shame when he left, Young leaving was sadder. Maybe because at that time he was probably the best player we had.

Aye. The Milner move - at the time - made sense all around.  Selling Young and Downing in the same summer felt like we were effectively giving up as a club. Which we were.

He's not the first (or even 21st) name I'd have thought as as a viable option this summer.  It's not a deal in any way, shape or form that will make other clubs around us sit up and take notice.

But I don't get the notion he'd be a troublemaker.  He's always been a good pro at the majority of his clubs. And for a player who relied on pace and nimbleness throughout his career, he's obviously kept himself in good shape.

As far as what Villa means to him etc, no one really knows the answer to that except him. But he did have some of the best years of his career here. And was seen attending Villa games a few times after his departure. He'll be closer to John Terry impact on the squad rather than Lescott or Richards. He might surprise a few by how many times he plays this year n'all.

God yes in terms of squad impact - Terry has just won the title with Chelsea, same with Ashley at SerieA. Best days may be gone but the mentality they bring is different.

The other 2 I try not to think about them at Villa but Richards seems to be on every football show everywhere

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #243 on: June 18, 2021, 12:10:29 PM »
I fell out of love with him when he decided to become a one man team, took all the free kicks often badly and played himself in atttacking midfield where he was pretty ineffective. Well that’s how it looked at the time.
He then pissed off to manure and threw himself to the ground at the first opportunity to get a penalty against us
Of course I want him to do well for us but I am not getting the flags out.

I am not convinced he is what we need right now either.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #244 on: June 18, 2021, 12:32:38 PM »
Depends what you mean by 'what we need.'  I mean as extra fullbacks I'd rather be signing Reece James and Tierney.  But if you work on the basis that Cash & Targett are very good options and ideally we'll spend our money elsewhere, then really all we need is good cover to replace Elmo and Taylor.  I think Young not only does that, but is hungry enough to keep them right on their toes to keep their places.  On top of that he brings experience and a winning mentality to the squad.

It's not a mindblowing signing, but seems a pretty sensible one to me.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #245 on: June 18, 2021, 12:35:07 PM »
As others have said I don't really get why people are still upset about him leaving. He wasn't particularly disloyal imo. Weirdly Watford fans seem to hate him as well for the same reason. Having said that, I'm not sure about the fanboy reaction either. He's an okay signing. Could either be a masterstroke or we'll never see him play. I saw some site claiming he was going to be used in the Trezeguet role because of his injury. That should be...…..interesting.

Well I'm sure his versatility will be a plus, but his main role is clearly as back up full back, especially left back. That said, I can certainly see him playing a few games further forward as well. I think he'd still be a 7/10 there.

Depends on the legs I guess, but I think the Ashley Young of 2010-11 has long gone

He was playing left wingback under Conte at Inter so he had to cover the full length of the pitch. Going somewhere who play with a back 4 should help.

Yeah I was talking mainly in relation to the Trezeguet replacement theory. As others have said he's better than Elmo as cover and obviously the option to bring on someone with his experience with 70 minutes to go in a game to shut up shop/look for an equalizer is going to be a big plus.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #246 on: June 18, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »
Welcome home Ash. Ignore the noise...

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #247 on: June 18, 2021, 01:03:24 PM »
Interesting part of Ashley’s interview for me was when we said age only seems to be an issue in England and that he felt fitter than he was when he was here before. In large part because Conte made them work their balls off as a requirement of the WB role. Age is in the mind and he’s clearly kept himself in superb shape.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #248 on: June 18, 2021, 01:12:26 PM »
I think he'll also do a job next season when we are leading at Anfield, Emirates, OT and need a more defensively solid option in front of the full back than Traore/Buendia/El Ghazi.

Imagine the scenes if he comes off the bench and scores the winner in the final game to send us to the Champions League...

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #249 on: June 18, 2021, 01:45:58 PM »
As others have said I don't really get why people are still upset about him leaving. He wasn't particularly disloyal imo. Weirdly Watford fans seem to hate him as well for the same reason. Having said that, I'm not sure about the fanboy reaction either. He's an okay signing. Could either be a masterstroke or we'll never see him play. I saw some site claiming he was going to be used in the Trezeguet role because of his injury. That should be...…..interesting.

Well I'm sure his versatility will be a plus, but his main role is clearly as back up full back, especially left back. That said, I can certainly see him playing a few games further forward as well. I think he'd still be a 7/10 there.

Depends on the legs I guess, but I think the Ashley Young of 2010-11 has long gone

He was playing left wingback under Conte at Inter so he had to cover the full length of the pitch. Going somewhere who play with a back 4 should help.

Yeah I was talking mainly in relation to the Trezeguet replacement theory. As others have said he's better than Elmo as cover and obviously the option to bring on someone with his experience with 70 minutes to go in a game to shut up shop/look for an equalizer is going to be a big plus.

Buendia has surely replaced Trez.

I think we'll see him a bit in the cups and will also be option to bring on for last 10-15 minutes in games we're winning given his experience (and he'll win loads of free kicks to run the clock down as Petrov used to be ace at).

Behind the scenes is where his recent experience will be vital. Wonder if he's planning to go into coaching when he calls it a day so we could possibly give him first step here if he's doing his badges currently.

One thing I will always say about Young is he's completely maximised his talent in the game compared to many others who came through at the same time, compare him to Wright-Phillips and Walcott for instance who basically both declined from 25 onwards, Young didn't.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #250 on: June 18, 2021, 02:41:16 PM »
One thing I will always say about Young is he's completely maximised his talent in the game compared to many others who came through at the same time, compare him to Wright-Phillips and Walcott for instance who basically both declined from 25 onwards, Young didn't.

The amount of attacking players who've come through in the premier league and gone into semi-retirement in their mid-20s in the last 20-30 years is shocking. It's happened in other positions as well but wingers in particular have been terrible for getting a handful of caps and then giving up.

Offline cdward

« Reply #251 on: June 18, 2021, 03:08:02 PM »
I thought the original signing of Ashley Young by MON was a real statement at the time. He was an up and coming talent that a few clubs had shown an interest in, and we got him.
It worked, he played well for us, progressed us as a club, and he progressed as a player.

It reminds me of the Buendia signing, except this time i hope in 5 years time we are not selling off our best players.
I think it is a sensible bit of business, he left on good terms and he came back, so he obviously still likes us.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #252 on: June 18, 2021, 03:09:57 PM »

The amount of attacking players who've come through in the premier league and gone into semi-retirement in their mid-20s in the last 20-30 years is shocking. It's happened in other positions as well but wingers in particular have been terrible for getting a handful of caps and then giving up.

Bentley and Jarvis spring to mind. Loftus Cheek heading there

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #253 on: June 18, 2021, 03:22:30 PM »

Bentley and Jarvis spring to mind. Loftus Cheek heading there

McCormack, Gabby and Ireland for us, Oxlade-Chamberlain doesn't seem all that bothered about how little he plays. There's loads of them all through the English leagues, I can only assume because they're multi-millionaires in their early 20s and get more interested in being rich than in being a footballer.

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #254 on: June 18, 2021, 03:23:44 PM »
I think there may be something in the coaching side of it as well. John Terry is entering the last year of his contract and will surely want a go at a head coach’s job somewhere at some stage soon.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal