collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by LeeB
[Today at 11:39:08 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 11:37:26 AM]

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 11:35:24 AM]

Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Risso
[Today at 11:04:59 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Dogtanian
[Today at 11:02:18 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by AV82EC
[Today at 10:54:31 AM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 10:41:54 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by LeeB
[Today at 09:55:19 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 113896 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Ashley Young - welcome home.
« Reply #225 on: June 18, 2021, 09:48:25 AM »
I wonder what we're paying him?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #226 on: June 18, 2021, 09:49:04 AM »
Struggling to understand the downsides here.

I watched two excellent young fullbacks in the youth cup final, but neither will be ready for a year or so.  Young will help bridge that gap.  He will be better than Taylor and probably better than Elmo.  So whether he's ultimately just a backup fullback, an attacking option to to chuck on if we're struggling or if he actually challenges for a starting place, he will be useful to the squad at very low cost and risk.

Having watched his interview he seems up for it and if he pushes either Targett or Cash hard for their place, then all the better.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2021, 09:50:47 AM »
He's miles better than Elmo. Elmo never let us down but he isn't a top half of the PL level player. Ashley Young has just picked up a Serie A winner's medal.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #228 on: June 18, 2021, 09:54:57 AM »
I know he's a better player than Elmo, but we'll have to see if he can still do it at PL level.  I know Elmo had a couple of torrid outings at the end, but mostly he was very capable for us.  I expect him to be better - I said probably - but will reserve final judgment until I've seen him deliver.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #229 on: June 18, 2021, 09:59:37 AM »
He's miles better than Elmo. Elmo never let us down but he isn't a top half of the PL level player. Ashley Young has just picked up a Serie A winner's medal.

I was about to say, when did two players whose level is the Championship become so good that a player from Inter Milan is considered a downgrade?

It's natural to have reservations about any player, but I don't think it's realistic to assume Young will be worse than two players we have outgrown anyway. No disrespect to either of them.

Edit: that's not directed at you specifically, Chris.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #230 on: June 18, 2021, 10:09:36 AM »
Nice to piss Burnley off too. They certainly pissed me off over the last 2 seasons.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #231 on: June 18, 2021, 10:10:22 AM »
To say I’m angry and disappointed is an understatement. Yes he was good for us years ago and is experienced now but I thought it was a joke when we were reported as interested

Weird.

Wow, sorry for having an opinion ffs

Haha, and you're entitled to it, and everyone else is entitled to the opinion that it's weird.

Being disappointed with a signing is fair enough. Being angry is a bit odd though. It's a surprising signing more than anything but I hope it turns out to be a clever one. I

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #232 on: June 18, 2021, 10:17:53 AM »
I wonder what we're paying him?

More than Burnley offered.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #233 on: June 18, 2021, 10:32:28 AM »

And he was no bit part in that team, he played 27 games.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2021, 10:34:23 AM »
As others have said I don't really get why people are still upset about him leaving. He wasn't particularly disloyal imo. Weirdly Watford fans seem to hate him as well for the same reason. Having said that, I'm not sure about the fanboy reaction either. He's an okay signing. Could either be a masterstroke or we'll never see him play. I saw some site claiming he was going to be used in the Trezeguet role because of his injury. That should be...…..interesting.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 10:38:36 AM by sickbeggar »

Offline Risso

« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2021, 10:41:06 AM »
As others have said I don't really get why people are still upset about him leaving. He wasn't particularly disloyal imo. Weirdly Watford fans seem to hate him as well for the same reason. Having said that, I'm not sure about the fanboy reaction either. He's an okay signing. Could either be a masterstroke or we'll never see him play. I saw some site claiming he was going to be used in the Trezeguet role because of his injury. That should be...…..interesting.

Well I'm sure his versatility will be a plus, but his main role is clearly as back up full back, especially left back. That said, I can certainly see him playing a few games further forward as well. I think he'd still be a 7/10 there.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #236 on: June 18, 2021, 10:46:34 AM »

Well I'm sure his versatility will be a plus, but his main role is clearly as back up full back, especially left back. That said, I can certainly see him playing a few games further forward as well. I think he'd still be a 7/10 there.

Depends on the legs I guess, but I think the Ashley Young of 2010-11 has long gone

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2021, 11:02:44 AM »
I always found it curious how Milner appeared to be seen much favourably than Young, when I think the latter was more loyal to Villa. That’s not a criticism of Milner by the way, loved his time at the club, but I always felt that Young’s time wasn’t universally appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you, Paul. Miner was decent, but he never really excited me, and although a shame when he left, Young leaving was sadder. Maybe because at that time he was probably the best player we had.

Aye. The Milner move - at the time - made sense all around.  Selling Young and Downing in the same summer felt like we were effectively giving up as a club. Which we were.

He's not the first (or even 21st) name I'd have thought as as a viable option this summer.  It's not a deal in any way, shape or form that will make other clubs around us sit up and take notice.

But I don't get the notion he'd be a troublemaker.  He's always been a good pro at the majority of his clubs. And for a player who relied on pace and nimbleness throughout his career, he's obviously kept himself in good shape.

As far as what Villa means to him etc, no one really knows the answer to that except him. But he did have some of the best years of his career here. And was seen attending Villa games a few times after his departure. He'll be closer to John Terry impact on the squad rather than Lescott or Richards. He might surprise a few by how many times he plays this year n'all.

Offline Risso

« Reply #238 on: June 18, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »

Depends on the legs I guess, but I think the Ashley Young of 2010-11 has long gone

Yes I expect so. But we've not bought him in to do that.  Hopefully Targett stays fit all season again, but Cash seems to struggle with periodic injuries.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #239 on: June 18, 2021, 11:25:07 AM »

He was playing left wingback under Conte at Inter so he had to cover the full length of the pitch. Going somewhere who play with a back 4 should help.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal