collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 111665 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home.
« Reply #210 on: June 17, 2021, 10:33:43 PM »
He used to drive me nuts floating all those free kicks aimlessly over the bar.

However, whilst other players like Milner or Petrov may have contributed more, Young and Carew were the only two 'stand up when they get the ball' players we bought in the Lerner area.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #211 on: June 17, 2021, 10:39:03 PM »
'Arry had to sub his right back facing Ashley after about 30 mins.My daughter pointed out that Ashley always managed to get suspended for the games around Xmas.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #212 on: June 17, 2021, 10:47:10 PM »
Interesting replacement for Jack....joke...that is a joke!!

Great free transfer, loads of top level experience and loads of credit in the bank for his first period at the club, for me anyhow.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #213 on: June 17, 2021, 10:50:25 PM »
In his first couple of years his balls into the box were unbelievable and anywhere just outside the box he was brilliant, then it all disappeared and he started floating balls, really puzzling. He is obviously a model pro and although i was not for it a twelve month contract is okay. Just wonder whether he will stay after his playing days to help bring the youg kids through.

Online BC Villain

« Reply #214 on: June 17, 2021, 11:07:36 PM »
Smart signing.
Guilbert and Kesler much smarter cover, Konsa can play right back and Hause can play left back so plenty of cover. Youngs wages would be better spent elsewhere. I also dont forget his 'contact' with Cieran Clark to win a penalty for utd😡

I do. I dont forget his crosses at the Sty for Gabby or his countless goals.

Agreed, some very strange bitterness on here. I like Ash, and don't hold it against him that he did against us what he spent four-and-a-half years doing for us.

Although he's not a supporter, I do think he has affection for the club. Even if he didn't, to still be playing and winning titles at nearly 36 is enough to convince me of his professionalism, and that he is more than good enough to have as back-up and around the squad.

Have to admit I'm not 100% sold on it, but I've warmed to the idea in the last couple of days.  Look at the comments on the clubs Facebook page and you'd have thought Fabian Delph had just walked back through the door.  I certainly don't get where this theory that he's a total arsehole who'll disrupt the dressing room has come from.

As for the dive against us?  It was ten years ago.  We never complained when he initiated contact to win us penalties last time he was here

Offline Allan C

Re: Ashley Young - welcome home nearly
« Reply #215 on: June 17, 2021, 11:23:22 PM »
Young and Morley are the best wingers I’ve seen at VP in 50 years of supporting the club. Welcome back Ash
Daley and Walters better than Young IMO
I agree. Both were much better ball manipulators.
Ray Graydon wasn’t bad either

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2021, 03:22:10 AM »
Another signing from below the press radar, and about as far removed from our typical current imports as you can get! Welcome back, Ashley. I was thinking earlier that we need more Italians, he's close enough. If he in any way lifts our club up another notch or two, either on the field or of it, then he's worth every penny and ounce of effort that it's taken to get him here.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2021, 05:19:41 AM »
I always found it curious how Milner appeared to be seen much favourably than Young, when I think the latter was more loyal to Villa. That’s not a criticism of Milner by the way, loved his time at the club, but I always felt that Young’s time wasn’t universally appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you, Paul. Miner was decent, but he never really excited me, and although a shame when he left, Young leaving was sadder. Maybe because at that time he was probably the best player we had.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »
Smart signing.
Guilbert and Kesler much smarter cover, Konsa can play right back and Hause can play left back so plenty of cover. Youngs wages would be better spent elsewhere. I also dont forget his 'contact' with Cieran Clark to win a penalty for utd😡

I do. I dont forget his crosses at the Sty for Gabby or his countless goals.
I can't lie. While I understand the logic in bringing him back as cover for a season that dive and his celebration for winning a penalty at OT still sticks in my craw. However if he did the same thing for us in front of the Holte to win a penalty against Utd all would be instantly forgiven.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2021, 08:17:32 AM »
Let’s not just judge him on his time here, his time at United was pretty damn good and he’s just won the league in Italy...what’s not to like?

Offline Lescottstweets

« Reply #220 on: June 18, 2021, 08:17:46 AM »
To say I’m angry and disappointed is an understatement. Yes he was good for us years ago and is experienced now but I thought it was a joke when we were reported as interested

Weird.

Wow, sorry for having an opinion ffs

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #221 on: June 18, 2021, 08:25:28 AM »
To say I’m angry and disappointed is an understatement. Yes he was good for us years ago and is experienced now but I thought it was a joke when we were reported as interested

Weird.

Wow, sorry for having an opinion ffs

Haha, and you're entitled to it, and everyone else is entitled to the opinion that it's weird.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #222 on: June 18, 2021, 08:33:43 AM »
After watching the interview with him I'm now excited and convinced it's an excellent signing.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #223 on: June 18, 2021, 08:47:09 AM »
I think he fits in a lot better with our transfer policy than it appears at face value.

- No transfer fee, so we won't lose money on him. 1 year contract makes it low risk.
- Provides cover in several positions, and competition for first choice left back
- His experience will help the development of our younger players
- He strengthens our squad *and* stops Burnley - a potential rival - from signing him

Obviously you don't want a whole squad full of 35 year olds, but as an individual signing I think it's a masterstroke

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #224 on: June 18, 2021, 09:18:25 AM »
I think he fits in a lot better with our transfer policy than it appears at face value.

- No transfer fee, so we won't lose money on him. 1 year contract makes it low risk.
- Provides cover in several positions, and competition for first choice left back
- His experience will help the development of our younger players
- He strengthens our squad *and* stops Burnley - a potential rival - from signing him

Obviously you don't want a whole squad full of 35 year olds, but as an individual signing I think it's a masterstroke
Good signing. Low risk. Might work. Might not.
But a masterstroke!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal