collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:05:29 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Skerra
[Today at 12:18:27 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by john2710
[Today at 12:11:45 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by ez
[Today at 12:07:46 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112471 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home.
« Reply #195 on: June 17, 2021, 09:34:59 PM »
Well that’s demonstrably proved not to be the case from his time at Inter.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #196 on: June 17, 2021, 09:39:10 PM »
I’m okay with it

I was never a massive fan of Elmo, I respected his service but always felt he weakened side when he came on
I know people loved him on here but I was never one of them

I actually think Ashley Young at 35/36 is probably still a better footballer than Elmo was in his prime
And certainly offers more in the final third

He covers so many options I think it’s a sensible signing

Yep, I don't think he'll play every game but I'll be a lot less concerned when Cash or Targett pick up a knock/suspension now.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #197 on: June 17, 2021, 09:46:01 PM »
Smart signing.
Guilbert and Kesler much smarter cover, Konsa can play right back and Hause can play left back so plenty of cover. Youngs wages would be better spent elsewhere. I also dont forget his 'contact' with Cieran Clark to win a penalty for utd😡
Just think of all that knowledge of how to win penalties he brings to the dressing room. Could be worth 6 points a season.

Online Ducksworthy

• GM : 20.02.2025
« Reply #198 on: June 17, 2021, 09:47:05 PM »
It's not a signing I thought we should have gone for, thought he was passed his best, when he last played for United 2 years ago, but hopefully he will prove me wrong. Welcome back Ashley.

We’re not signing him “at his best”, that’s obviously years ago. This isn’t the proverbial final piece of the jigsaw type signing - we’re signing him to be an experienced, versatile cover option who gives it his all and has always had a good attitude. Makes total sense to me.

As I was in my mid-teens when he was playing for us, I felt then about him as I imagine the kids (and most of us!) feel about Jack now. My favourite player was JPA but the most exciting before Jack was Ashley.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #199 on: June 17, 2021, 09:52:58 PM »
Smart signing.
Guilbert and Kesler much smarter cover, Konsa can play right back and Hause can play left back so plenty of cover. Youngs wages would be better spent elsewhere. I also dont forget his 'contact' with Cieran Clark to win a penalty for utd😡

I do. I dont forget his crosses at the Sty for Gabby or his countless goals.

Agreed, some very strange bitterness on here. I like Ash, and don't hold it against him that he did against us what he spent four-and-a-half years doing for us.

Although he's not a supporter, I do think he has affection for the club. Even if he didn't, to still be playing and winning titles at nearly 36 is enough to convince me of his professionalism, and that he is more than good enough to have as back-up and around the squad.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2021, 09:53:47 PM »
I'm OK with it. Decent options now to pick from Grealish, Young, Buendia, El Goalzi and Traore.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2021, 09:57:42 PM »
I'm OK with it. Decent options now to pick from Grealish, Young, Buendia, El Goalzi and Traore.

I'd be very surprised if he plays on the wing other than as a emergency when we're chasing a goal, he's been playing fullback for a while now.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2021, 10:04:46 PM »

I'd be very surprised if he plays on the wing other than as a emergency when we're chasing a goal, he's been playing fullback for a while now.

I know but I saw one.of those dream formation/line up graphics on face.book and he was tucked in on the.left with.Watkins up front, Jack behind and Buendia on the right. Young in his prime... that would have been mouth watering.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2021, 10:09:43 PM »
Bring back Marlon Harewood next, we haven't had anyone that could celebrate winning a corner like he could since he left.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2021, 10:13:14 PM »
I always found it curious how Milner appeared to be seen much favourably than Young, when I think the latter was more loyal to Villa. That’s not a criticism of Milner by the way, loved his time at the club, but I always felt that Young’s time wasn’t universally appreciated.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2021, 10:13:30 PM »

He'll be a better Elmo though. Predominantly a full back, but if you need to throw him on further forward, you'll know he'll keep things tight and still chuck the odd good cross in.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2021, 10:21:09 PM »
I would like to see Nigel Reo-Coker return as well.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2021, 10:26:35 PM »
I loved Ashley Young. He was like a more consistent Tony Daley with a lot more end product.  Not a knock against Daley,  one of  my early heroes, I just think Young in terms of crosses,  goals and assists was more consistent.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2021, 10:30:34 PM »
I always found it curious how Milner appeared to be seen much favourably than Young, when I think the latter was more loyal to Villa. That’s not a criticism of Milner by the way, loved his time at the club, but I always felt that Young’s time wasn’t universally appreciated.

One is a flair player (that works hard) the other other is a workhorse (with a bit of extra quality), Villa fans have always liked a workhorse.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2021, 10:31:03 PM »
while he wasn’t slow i never thought he was a really pacey winger, he was more about his technique  so i can see how he has adapted his game . it will be interesting to see how he gets on

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal