collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112315 times)

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home nearly
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2021, 09:36:53 AM »
Villa have two young full backs.
You're not going to get a peak-of-career player as backup without Champions League football.
You don't really want to rely on an under 21/23 as backup
The Guilbert situation is a bit of a mystery

Therefore, bringing in an experienced old-pro to act as injury cover and play a few games makes perfect sense. Forget the fact that it looks like being Ash.

With both Elmo and Taylor leaving, either Freddie has to come back into the fold or Villa need another signing in addition to Ash.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2021, 09:46:03 AM »
A bit of a strange one to me. Don't think its a terrible acquisition, but i'm struggling to see the point really.

I see him as an upgrade on Elmo.

Well he is provided his legs haven't gone. I just see it as so...…...temporary. Could be that Smith doesn't want to spend the money on a squad/challenging full-back this summer, or he thinks someone from the youth will be ready next season. Dunno. He's free I guess.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2021, 09:51:59 AM »
I've said this so many times that I worry I'm becoming a bore, but Dean doesn't sign the players.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2021, 09:52:15 AM »
The more i think of this move on a free as well i think this is a shrewd but of business.

To reject Watford for us as well a club he has a big affirmation with shows he has a soft spot for this club

Online Dick Edwards

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2021, 09:56:07 AM »
The more i think of this move on a free as well i think this is a shrewd but of business.

To reject Watford for us as well a club he has a big affirmation with shows he has a soft spot for this club

His spot may have no doubt been softened by us offering him more money than Watford.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »

His spot may have no doubt been softened by us offering him more money than Watford.

Could be but i think he has fonder memories here than Watford.  Maybe working with top players like buendia and grealish too

Offline AllanW

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2021, 10:04:11 AM »

I really like Cash but he’s going to always pick up bookings with his very enthusiastic nature, I’m sure Young can do the business back there when called upon.

That's the element of his arrival, if that's on the cards, that is most important to me; he will occupy one of the 25 PL roster places and needs therefore to justify it. He has a number of decent positives to bring to the table but I'm not as convinced as you are of some of the more key ones.

He can undoubtedly cover left and right back positions. Plus. Good flexibility; can't understand why he hasn't made Southgates' squad with his versatility in this regard. Multi-use all-rounders being his particular fetish.

He has vast, top-flight experience to bring to the young squad. Plus. Great international and top club experience, solid and calm under pressure, Villa history as well; what's not to like about this aspect?

Presumably affordable. Plus. Not a vast length contract, not a vast wage addition, presumably. Makes sense to have a mix of players to add variety and bridge the time until the academy prospects can justify their first team inclusion without the obstruction of a lengthy contract to overcome. All good.

BUT

He'll be used as defensive cover and that's where my concern is; he's not as good as you might think. Not my opinion, look at the various statistics and analytical feeds available to all.

On 'WhoScored' for example, under 'defensive' they rate his tackling as his weakness.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/8166/Show/Ashley-Young

At 'One-versus-One' his current defensive capabilities are great going forward but very low on winning headers, getting in blocks and winning tackles.
https://one-versus-one.com/en/players/Ashley-Young

This is the classic picture of a wing-back. Of course the numbers are not the be-all-and-end-all but they do paint a picture. It's a picture of 'nice wing-back going forward'. My point is that for maybe 8 or 10 games next season, when pushing for Europe, we will need a strong-tackling, able to dig in, rough, tough defender. Not pretty but effective, to help us grab a point from a bad position or hold out for a win away from home for the last 20 minutes. And I'm not sure he's that defender.

I'm all for the story of his return, I appreciate his many advantages I'm just not convinced that he'll be the best option at the one thing we absolutely NEED him to do; effectively counter the likes of Sterling, Mane, Rashford, Havertz, Richarlison, and all the other PL strikers operating from wide. None of the academy players, who wouldn't occupy a roster position, can provide this defensive bite IMO. So if we need someone, and we do to cover wide on both sides, I'd prefer an out-and-out defensive biter. 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2021, 10:15:14 AM »
I think it’d be a very sensible signing.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2021, 10:26:27 AM »
It’s the right kind of transfer we should do right now, a proven quality, PL (and higher) experience player who will be cover in various positions. I personally lost all warmth and liking for him when he performed that ridiculous dive against us. For that reason I’d rather he didn’t come but I can see the benefits if he does

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2021, 10:27:19 AM »
Allan C and Allan W posting so close together confuses me!

Offline Allan C

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2021, 10:30:24 AM »
Funnily enough, it does me too!! I sometimes think I’ve posted something that I haven’t

Offline AllanW

« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2021, 10:35:18 AM »

Funnily enough, it does me too!! I sometimes think I’ve posted something that I haven’t

Hehe. Nice one.

But there is one surefire way of telling whether it's you or me who has posted; your posts don't get trashed by the troglodytes as soon as they appear. No matter what content they have.

On Young, I can see the benefits, like you, I'm just not convinced on the defensive side.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2021, 10:36:01 AM »

You wouldn't have the time, Allan!

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »

I really like Cash but he’s going to always pick up bookings with his very enthusiastic nature, I’m sure Young can do the business back there when called upon.

That's the element of his arrival, if that's on the cards, that is most important to me; he will occupy one of the 25 PL roster places and needs therefore to justify it. He has a number of decent positives to bring to the table but I'm not as convinced as you are of some of the more key ones.

He can undoubtedly cover left and right back positions. Plus. Good flexibility; can't understand why he hasn't made Southgates' squad with his versatility in this regard. Multi-use all-rounders being his particular fetish.

He has vast, top-flight experience to bring to the young squad. Plus. Great international and top club experience, solid and calm under pressure, Villa history as well; what's not to like about this aspect?

Presumably affordable. Plus. Not a vast length contract, not a vast wage addition, presumably. Makes sense to have a mix of players to add variety and bridge the time until the academy prospects can justify their first team inclusion without the obstruction of a lengthy contract to overcome. All good.

BUT

He'll be used as defensive cover and that's where my concern is; he's not as good as you might think. Not my opinion, look at the various statistics and analytical feeds available to all.

On 'WhoScored' for example, under 'defensive' they rate his tackling as his weakness.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/8166/Show/Ashley-Young

At 'One-versus-One' his current defensive capabilities are great going forward but very low on winning headers, getting in blocks and winning tackles.
https://one-versus-one.com/en/players/Ashley-Young

This is the classic picture of a wing-back. Of course the numbers are not the be-all-and-end-all but they do paint a picture. It's a picture of 'nice wing-back going forward'. My point is that for maybe 8 or 10 games next season, when pushing for Europe, we will need a strong-tackling, able to dig in, rough, tough defender. Not pretty but effective, to help us grab a point from a bad position or hold out for a win away from home for the last 20 minutes. And I'm not sure he's that defender.

I'm all for the story of his return, I appreciate his many advantages I'm just not convinced that he'll be the best option at the one thing we absolutely NEED him to do; effectively counter the likes of Sterling, Mane, Rashford, Havertz, Richarlison, and all the other PL strikers operating from wide. None of the academy players, who wouldn't occupy a roster position, can provide this defensive bite IMO. So if we need someone, and we do to cover wide on both sides, I'd prefer an out-and-out defensive biter.

Strange. When he was ManU, their main complaint from memory is he created nothing going forward. Although that could have been a Mourinho thing

Offline AllanW

« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2021, 10:46:19 AM »

Strange. When he was ManU, their main complaint from memory is he created nothing going forward. Although that could have been a Mourinho thing

Probably a Mourinho thing. He's been used for England as a wing-back most often I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal