collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112323 times)

Offline garyellis

Re: Ashley Young - welcome home nearly
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2021, 06:09:41 PM »
It is an absolute no brainer
No transfer fee and an upgrade on cover compared to the two who have just left.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2021, 06:10:16 PM »
TV, do you mean he started 26 games and was a sub in the remainder (out of 44) for Inter last season?

I think  he meant to say he 44 games over 2 seasons, of which 26 were last season.

Yes correct. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. Essentially he made appearances in 26/38 league games last season plus he played in a total of 8 of domestic cup and CL games. So involved in 34 games in total for last season.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2021, 06:10:44 PM »
Decent crosser of the ball from set pieces too.

Obviously not the same player that he was when he first played with us, but he was the most exciting Villa player I've seen. Possibly now overtaken by Grealish.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2021, 06:20:24 PM »
Not sure about this one to be honest but I'll hope for the best.

Online TonyD

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2021, 06:35:12 PM »
I think we should stick to players on the way up and not on the way down. 

Online Kevin Dawson

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2021, 06:37:27 PM »
We've lost Heaton, Taylor and Elmo.....for.a year of experience I'd take him

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2021, 06:38:32 PM »
Mixed thoughts about this.  I'm wary about re-signing players who were a hit the first time round.  We'll wait and see

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2021, 06:40:09 PM »
Free transfer and only 1 year deal.

1 year extension posdobke if it goes well, so I don't see what we have to lose.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2021, 06:43:14 PM »
Sorry, can’t get excited about a player who was happy to dive and get a penalty against us whilst playing for Manure.

Really? That offsets all the good times he gave us and the fact he's kept his body and fitness up like a Milner? C'mon...
Cmon how many times have we been done by their dodgy penalty routine and he is part of that legacy so fuck him and them.

That incident trumps the 37 goals and 59 assists (thanks transfermarkt) he got for us?? He won many a penalty for us too by dubious enough means...

I'd be suspect enough about what he can offer us on the pitch, some on here will explode if wing backs are being considered a tactical option for next season....but off the pitch, another solid pro who has played at the top level could only be a good influence to the younger player we have

Offline danno

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2021, 06:57:46 PM »
Fair play to Ashley Young, clever way to jump the 8000 on the season ticket waiting list. If he can teach our lads how to take corners and free kicks it's money well spent.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2021, 06:58:21 PM »
Decent crosser of the ball from set pieces too.

Obviously not the same player that he was when he first played with us, but he was the most exciting Villa player I've seen. Possibly now overtaken by Grealish.

Decent? He was outstanding.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »

Why can’t we do both? Clubs way better than us (at the moment) don’t just stick to one approach when it comes to player acquisition. If signing experienced players is good for Juventus or Barcelona then we can employ a bit of both. It’s important we focus on development as you are suggesting but coupled with the right mix of experience it will help those younger players progress a little quicker.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2021, 07:15:15 PM »
Fair play to Ashley Young, clever way to jump the 8000 on the season ticket waiting list. If he can teach our lads how to take corners and free kicks it's money well spent.

Can hone Jack's diving skills too.

Imagine, how they'll be taking the news in Small Heath. "Greasy" and Young feigning their way to the Champions League with the Vile. It's gonna be sweet!

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2021, 07:19:48 PM »

Why can’t we do both? Clubs way better than us (at the moment) don’t just stick to one approach when it comes to player acquisition. If signing experienced players is good for Juventus or Barcelona then we can employ a bit of both. It’s important we focus on development as you are suggesting but coupled with the right mix of experience it will help those younger players progress a little quicker.

Good point.  Just looking to last season, Cavani for Man United, and Thiago Silva for Chelsea, were hugely effective signings (not that Ashley Young is in their league, but the principle holds good).

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2021, 07:30:55 PM »
I always tend to sway towards the view of "never go back" as it rarely works out.  Beyond Sid and, to an extent, Staunton, I can't think of many at the Villa where it's been a success.  However, basking in the optimism that we are now proactively brilliant in the transfer market, I will look forward to Ash rolling back the years as we march on to Champions League qualification.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal