collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Small Rodent
[Today at 10:57:27 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:55:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:51:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Stu
[Today at 10:51:03 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Richard
[Today at 10:47:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:44:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 10:44:17 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 10:43:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 114544 times)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home nearly
« Reply #90 on: June 17, 2021, 10:54:59 AM »
Allan C and Allan W posting so close together confuses me!

They're both the same in my head.  All Allans look the same there.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #91 on: June 17, 2021, 10:57:30 AM »
I like the symmetry of the move. The first time Ashley Young came to us we were a side on the up who finished 11th that season. Now he may come to us when we're a side on the up that just finished 11th.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 01:34:53 PM by not3bad »

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2021, 11:25:55 AM »
Well he is provided his legs haven't gone. I just see it as so...…...temporary. Could be that Smith doesn't want to spend the money on a squad/challenging full-back this summer, or he thinks someone from the youth will be ready next season. Dunno. He's free I guess.
Yeah, he's a temporary signing.  I think in a few cases, though, doing that's justified.

At the moment, if we were signing a backup fullback I'd guess our options would be fairly limited.  They're not going to get a huge number of games in realistically.  Ashley Young would represent a realistic challenger to both of their first team places, and is undoubtedly a Champions League quality player - he's been a regular for the runaway Serie A winners this season just gone.

Hopefully in 2 years time we'll be playing Champions League - or at least European - football, and we'll be able to offer more games, at a higher level, to any prospective signings.  That should make recruiting a replacement for Young much easier.

I think, like you, I'm really not a fan of short term signings - but in this particular case it's justified.  Plus, as others have said, we've a very young side that's lost some of it's more senior/experienced players this summer.  In moderation, a signing like that can be very effective (e.g. Cambiasso at Leicester)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2021, 11:27:58 AM »
His experience will be very valuable for us.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2021, 11:34:11 AM »
Some are really overthinking this. If he had done nothing last year yes we should all be concerned. That wasn’t the case at all. He played a key role in his side winning Serie A and played in the CL. We know his attitude first hand. As well as any supporter group. He won’t be the same footballer who left because he’s older. But he has clearly modified his game to lengthen his career and will use that versatility and drive to challenge for a starting role and offer leadership on and off the pitch. He knows the club. We know him. This is a super short term signing.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2021, 11:45:25 AM »

Strange. When he was ManU, their main complaint from memory is he created nothing going forward. Although that could have been a Mourinho thing

Probably a Mourinho thing. He's been used for England as a wing-back most often I think.

Started the World Cup semi-final there.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2021, 11:57:50 AM »
Very little downside risk.. at worst he warms the bench, teaches the youngsters a thing or two, and we pay a year of wages. Plenty of upside if it comes off, and a cost efficient way to get cover in a number of positions Without holding back the youngsters in their development. No brainer for me.

Online caster troy

« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2021, 12:11:06 PM »
Logically he seems the perfect stop gap while we wait for European football to justify a bigger squad and/or our promising U23 full backs to develop. Experienced, winning mentality. Good on set pieces.

Emotionally... 'unfinished business' with us cracking the top 4, big game player, former crowd favourite, former idol of Jacks?

Online lovejoy

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2021, 12:34:01 PM »
It's a no from me.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2021, 12:51:43 PM »
Amazing. Absolutely loved him at the Villa before and was gutted when he left.

Glad he's returning.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2021, 01:09:17 PM »
Sorry, can’t get excited about a player who was happy to dive and get a penalty against us whilst playing for Manure.

Really? That offsets all the good times he gave us and the fact he's kept his body and fitness up like a Milner? C'mon...
Cmon how many times have we been done by their dodgy penalty routine and he is part of that legacy so fuck him and them.

Haha. I can also understand this point of view. You've made me laugh, mate.

Still, I want him back!

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2021, 01:12:44 PM »
He owes us a decent season after his last one here.

Welcome back, Ashley.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2021, 02:06:08 PM »
Sorry, can’t get excited about a player who was happy to dive and get a penalty against us whilst playing for Manure.

Really? That offsets all the good times he gave us and the fact he's kept his body and fitness up like a Milner? C'mon...
Cmon how many times have we been done by their dodgy penalty routine and he is part of that legacy so fuck him and them.

So, hypothetically, you'd turn down Fernandes on a free?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »

exactly

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2021, 02:34:54 PM »

exactly

Have you got a nose?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal