collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:54:17 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112455 times)

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Ashley Young
« Reply #525 on: July 05, 2022, 01:59:12 AM »
One of my favourite dishes ever is a lentil casserole; celery, onion, carrot, garlic, rosemary, parsley and top quality Italian sausages. The food of kings. I could eat it every night.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #526 on: July 05, 2022, 02:05:02 AM »
One of my favourite dishes ever is a lentil casserole; celery, onion, carrot, garlic, rosemary, parsley and top quality Italian sausages. The food of kings. I could eat it every night.

And my favourite is steak and chips: chips 😉

But seriously, I didn't manage to get to a game last year. Even though he's getting on, were there any signs he still had his ability as a crosser of the ball?

Because without the coaching dimension, I don't see much value in keeping him on. My hope is that he still has that instinct, because him & Albrighton are the two best crossers of a ball I've seen since I've been going to VP.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #527 on: July 05, 2022, 02:12:25 AM »
Because without the coaching dimension, I don't see much value in keeping him on. My hope is that he still has that instinct, because him & Albrighton are the two best crossers of a ball I've seen since I've been going to VP.

You forgot Elmo.

I'll take you back to my earlier post this evening about El Ghazi and Targett; two players shit scared to cross the ball. Where was Ashley? My ' instinct' is he can fill in for a game or two at left back but if we're serious about the cups this season I'd prefer somebody better to push and flawessly replace Digne. That's not Ashley.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #528 on: July 05, 2022, 02:19:09 AM »

You forgot Elmo.

I'll take you back to my earlier post this evening about El Ghazi and Targett; two players shit scared to cross the ball. Where was Ashley? My ' instinct' is he can fill in for a game or two at left back but if we're serious about the cups this season I'd prefer somebody better to push and flawessly replace Digne. That's not Ashley.

I liked Elmo a lot, but he didn't have the whip of the other two. Great crosser, very accurate but at a slightly slower speed.

Fair enough. I think one of the best things for us as a club on the up would be to win a cup, ideally the FA (please, God).

Do we think Ashley will be our 2nd choice LB? Or maybe we're just tying him down and will now focus on our targets? There's time left.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #529 on: July 05, 2022, 05:37:37 AM »
Seems a no risk keeping him on. He’s happy not to play every game. Good experience. Great shithousery when we need it to see games out. We probably don’t excel at that.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #530 on: July 05, 2022, 06:56:50 AM »
I think he’s seen as a good, professional utility player and trusted head, rather than as a backup left back. I can still see us getting a Digne backup if the right prospect appears.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #531 on: July 05, 2022, 07:23:13 AM »
I think he’s seen as a good, professional utility player and trusted head, rather than as a backup left back. I can still see us getting a Digne backup if the right prospect appears.
I agree, he's a good pro with good shithousery skills.

Feels like a sensible, low risk move to me. Backup fullbacks are the sort of thing you'd look at when you've got everything else sorted. If we get in to Europe we'll have a much better pool to choose from, and they'll be more likely to actually get a game.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #532 on: July 05, 2022, 09:13:25 AM »
I'm pleased he's signed up for another season great experience.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #533 on: July 05, 2022, 09:17:19 AM »
Even though he's getting on, were there any signs he still had his ability as a crosser of the ball?

No, not really. He was OK as a utility full back at a stretch but I wouldn't be upset if he played no minutes at all this season. His legs have mostly gone and he was embarrassed by Dennis at Watford in the home game as an example. I'd say Elmo when he was here was a much better crosser of the ball than Young managed to be last season.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #534 on: July 05, 2022, 09:35:17 AM »

You forgot Elmo.

We're not in a position where we can attract and retain two left backs of Digne's quality and wont be until we can offer European football.  The likes of Hickey and Bassey won't join us to sit behind our French international fullback.  Young is a decent versatile compromise until we can find the right player - possibly Chrisine who will be 19 at the start of next season and seems to be reasonably highly thought of, but I suspect is in need of a good loan this season.  I am hopeful Kessler and Chrisin will be pushing both our fullbacks hard in 23-24.   

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #535 on: July 05, 2022, 10:42:07 AM »
Even though he's getting on, were there any signs he still had his ability as a crosser of the ball?

No, not really. He was OK as a utility full back at a stretch but I wouldn't be upset if he played no minutes at all this season. His legs have mostly gone and he was embarrassed by Dennis at Watford in the home game as an example. I'd say Elmo when he was here was a much better crosser of the ball than Young managed to be last season.

I agree. Though I'd say there are particular situations where he'd be of use. He has the experience of winning and has the leadership mentality that we can lack at times.

For all we moan about the likes of Man Utd moaning at the referee, we've been far too nice over the years.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #536 on: July 06, 2022, 07:21:58 AM »
I was just looking at the 2021-22 memories thread and was thinking back when I remembered a nice Ashley Young contribution.

His threading a lovely weighted pass between two Brighton players to set Ollie on his way to bang in that first, all-important goal in Gerrard’s first match to break the deadlock in a really tight game. That set us on our way and gave us momentum and our first win in six.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #537 on: July 06, 2022, 08:43:40 AM »
I was just looking at the 2021-22 memories thread and was thinking back when I remembered a nice Ashley Young contribution.

His threading a lovely weighted pass between two Brighton players to set Ollie on his way to bang in that first, all-important goal in Gerrard’s first match to break the deadlock in a really tight game. That set us on our way and gave us momentum and our first win in six.
I am struggling to think of any other contribution he made.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #538 on: July 06, 2022, 01:39:03 PM »

I am struggling to think of any other contribution he made.
The dribble,  shimmy and pass to release Watkins to score the first against Brighton at home - not much else after that

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #539 on: July 06, 2022, 05:20:54 PM »
For those who don't understand Ashley Young importance and value to the squad this season.
Steven Gerrard explains it and only echoes my sentiments.

"It was one area of the squad, after analysing it for six months, that we believe we need experience around the squad. We've got a lot of talent emerging, we've got the likes of (Jacob) Ramsey who's grabbed a position in the team and they need people to look up to. They need people who set standards on a daily basis.

We need to have winners in the building who know what it takes to win big football matches, and Ashley ticks all those boxes. He's as fit as he's ever been. We analyse that side of it with all the data and nothing suggests that he's slowing down.

It made sense to give Ashley the chance to stay with us for another year and I'm delighted with his decision."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal