collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112318 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home.
« Reply #345 on: August 29, 2021, 12:04:22 AM »
Bollocks to that but it's great to have him in the squad when we need him. Top pro, won't let us down, no matter where asked to play. Very intelligent signing.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #346 on: September 23, 2021, 11:48:51 PM »
I didn't expect Youngy to miss the penalty Vs Chelsea.
Thought he captained well however he was a couple of times wanting defensively.
I be interested to see reception he gets at Old Trafford on Saturday
Amazing he played in the 2010 League cup final for Villa Vs Man Utd 11 years ago  and there he is Captain of Villa all years later on Wednesday

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2021, 09:30:55 AM »
Good to hear he was being serenaded  by the man utd fans yesterday when he was warming up by the touchline.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2021, 09:37:02 AM »
Wonder if he will continue to play past this season.  I’m not so sure

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2021, 09:49:49 AM »
Yeah interesting one. I do thing it helps to have experience within the squad . And a winner and top level one at that.
I think where we're going just have him here for this as the experinced head to come in as and when.
That said he's a player who looks after himself so another season isn't out if the realms and think like how Premier league clubs often like an experienced goalkeeper now teams like to have one or two mid 30s outfield player of quality within their squad

Funnily enough in this system I feel Young would do well as one of the wing backs especially in what he can offer in an attacking sense.

36 years now I don't mind at all if he's here next season even if he'll be turning 37 in July .
Next season will be interesting with the World Cup and premier league break so he would be useful to have in the squad .

This is all based and providing he shows his worth for the rest of this season
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 09:53:53 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2021, 09:54:15 AM »
I don't think he offers anything at all in an attacking sense, and as handy as he is in a utility full back sort of way, when Bailey and Sanson are fit, I can see Young not being in the squad any more. With the four central defenders we have, all of them look comfortable at full back as well, so there'll not be much use for Young really.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2021, 10:07:09 AM »
I don't think he offers anything at all in an attacking sense, and as handy as he is in a utility full back sort of way, when Bailey and Sanson are fit, I can see Young not being in the squad any more. With the four central defenders we have, all of them look comfortable at full back as well, so there'll not be much use for Young really.

Whilst his playing time will decrease I think he will still be important as a kinda coach within the playing group; setting the example with regards to the work ethic and as a sounding board for younger players.  He was selected in Southgate’s management team so he clearly has form for this sort of role.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2021, 10:21:30 AM »
Agree, playing wise he'll struggle to get a kick. But yesterday I noticed the cameras pick him up when he was sat on the benches as Archer was being readied, and he was gesturing to someone on the pitch about something, ending with him tapping the side of his head in a 'think about it' way.

Call me a romantic old fool, but I like to think he's come back for all the right reasons. He felt he had unfinished business, he's a winner, and he wants to help us be more successful than we were in his previous stint. A polar opposite of the class of 2015.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2021, 10:28:15 AM »
He's a useful squad player. You need a decent squad to compete. We need to get away from the obsession with trying to get rid of players the second they aren't guaranteed a start. We've seen it before with Hause and El Ghazi, for example, and they've both shown how vital they can be to the cause already this season. I'd imagine Young is a good influence on the likes of the Chucky and Ramsey brothers, JPB, Archer and so on, too.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2021, 10:33:26 AM »
He's a useful squad player. You need a decent squad to compete. We need to get away from the obsession with trying to get rid of players the second they aren't guaranteed a start. We've seen it before with Hause and El Ghazi, for example, and they've both shown how vital they can be to the cause already this season. I'd imagine Young is a good influence on the likes of the Chucky and Ramsey brothers, JPB, Archer and so on, too.

Spot on. And he'll be competitive to be in the team and I think all the players know his value within the squad.
 He's been there seen it and done it
Knows how to get in the refs ear. Knows how to win free kicks . Knows how to play the game. He seeks the advantage and is a winner.
Not only that he has a fondness and some affinity with our club and without Elmo, Taylor, Heaton is the experienced voice in the dressing room, touchline,  pitch that gives a quality feel to the squad.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2021, 10:45:14 AM »
I think he is exactly the sort of player to bring on to shore things up.
I can not see him starting much unless there is a crisis.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »
People need to factor in the period up to and around Christams .
These fixtures even allowing for TV day changes we have a period of games that high chance Ashley Young will be playing minutes and sometimes  starting as will others as we make use of the rest of the squad over the many games

Sat 27 Nov
Tue 30 Nov
Sat 4 Dec
Sat 11 Dec
Tue 14 Dec
Sat 18 Dec
Sun 26 Dec
Tue 28 Dec
Sat 1 Jan
Sat 8th Jan FA Cup 3rd round.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2021, 12:28:10 PM »
I love how they save all the midweek games for when it's bastard cold. 🥺

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »
People need to factor in the period up to and around Christams .
These fixtures even allowing for TV day changes we have a period of games that high chance Ashley Young will be playing minutes and sometimes  starting as will others as we make use of the rest of the squad over the many games

Sat 27 Nov
Tue 30 Nov
Sat 4 Dec
Sat 11 Dec
Tue 14 Dec
Sat 18 Dec
Sun 26 Dec
Tue 28 Dec
Sat 1 Jan
Sat 8th Jan FA Cup 3rd round.

That give me a migraine from an FPL perspective, let alone managing the real thing.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2021, 12:31:30 PM »
We need to get away from the obsession with trying to get rid of players the second they aren't guaranteed a start. We've seen it before with Hause and El Ghazi, for example, and they've both shown how vital they can be to the cause already this season.

It's not remotely comparable though. He's a 36 year old on a one year contract, specifically brought in as a short term stop gap. All I'm saying is that we're lucky now that all of our first choice central defenders are good enough to cover the full back spots, especially now we're playing the formation that dare not speak its name!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal