collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: When football came home  (Read 2451 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
When football came home
« on: July 06, 2021, 11:40:05 AM »
And Villa Park was the centre of the universe, or something.

http://thebirminghampress.com/2021/07/when-football-came-home/

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
Re: When football came home
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2021, 11:52:11 AM »
It was great in Brum city centre i went to one game at VP...Swiss v Dutch and the scenes throughout the day were remarkable with Scottish fans joining in the fun
and general camaraderie. After the game i went in Square Peg where literally the Swiss fans were buying the ale. Crates of Grolsch just left on tables for people
to help themselves. Not a single moment of aggression whatsoever, brilliant!!!

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 11:59:55 AM »
I can't believe that happened 25 years ago.  I can still see Scottish and Dutch fans coming out of Guest Houses and small hotels not far from where I live as if it were a few weeks ago.  I managed to get to a few games at VP which was a weird experience.  Going to a game there with no emotional attachment, looking round and thinking "who are these people in my house".  I'm glad I did attend a few games for the occasion but in all honesty I wouldn't be that bothered if I didn't should it come round again.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 12:22:54 PM »
Great read Dave.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2021, 12:54:43 PM »
The mail were desperate for things to kick off, they must've been disappointed when they saw everyone having a good time. I was working in the city centre then and bumping into fans at lunchtime and after work was great.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 12:56:05 PM »

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 01:26:12 PM »
Kind of annoys me that Poborsky's chip and Gigg's mazy run and finish in the FA Cup (and Scholes volley from the corner) are probably the Villa Park goals most recalled by neutrals over a certain age.

Offline colin69

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2021, 01:52:07 PM »
It was great in Brum city centre i went to one game at VP...Swiss v Dutch and the scenes throughout the day were remarkable with Scottish fans joining in the fun
and general camaraderie. After the game i went in Square Peg where literally the Swiss fans were buying the ale. Crates of Grolsch just left on tables for people
to help themselves. Not a single moment of aggression whatsoever, brilliant!!!

I went to that game too with my brother. Swiss fans above us with the cowbells, superb atmosphere. After the game walking back up Trinity Road with the Dutch fans who were great. No trouble anywhere.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2021, 08:16:06 PM »
The sight of a sea of orange in town really was quite something and the jocks campsite where I lived opposite the Boars Head spectacularly failed to live up to the Mails hopes of carnage.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2021, 08:26:11 PM »
I can't believe that happened 25 years ago.  I can still see Scottish and Dutch fans coming out of Guest Houses and small hotels not far from where I live as if it were a few weeks ago.  I managed to get to a few games at VP which was a weird experience.  Going to a game there with no emotional attachment, looking round and thinking "who are these people in my house".  I'm glad I did attend a few games for the occasion but in all honesty I wouldn't be that bothered if I didn't should it come round again.

It is frightening to realise it was twenty five years ago. Where did all those years go?

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 11:37:27 PM »
I remember going to a couple of the group games at VP and drinking with Dutch fans in the Aston social club. All friendly lads.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2021, 09:04:16 AM »
Great read and fabulous memories.
The atmosphere in the city centre was brilliant.
I went to 2 games, the Dutch swing band came around the pitch at half time in the game v Scotland and played Scotland The Brave to great applause. I had been to The Botanical Gardens for lunch where I bumped into Dutch fans who apologised for being football fans and were most surprised that I was going to the match.
I was at the game where Scotland beat Switzerland and it was an amazing atmosphere. A rather inebriated woman dressed head to toe in tartan was obviously not keen at having England fans near but cheered with everyone else each time England scored.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 10:49:40 AM »

It is frightening to realise it was twenty five years ago. Where did all those years go?

The mid 90s were a big leap forward, weren't they? In '96 things felt a lot more modern and fresh than they had just a few years previously but not all that different to today, 25 years later.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 10:52:05 AM »
Sorry to hijack this thread, but as Euro 2021 finishes tonight and nobody will want to read it afterwards, can I just post my own article on Euro '96? Decidedly more suburban but it was nice to reminisce for a bit: http://chrisstanleyis.blogspot.com/2021/06/my-euro-96-xi.html

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2021, 12:42:28 PM »
I remember going to a couple of the group games at VP and drinking with Dutch fans in the Aston social club. All friendly lads.

Was in Dublin when we beat them in the playoff for 2002 WC. Hundreds of them in Temple Bar (many in orange jumpsuits) singing Country Roads and not a hint of trouble. Sound fans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal