collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emi Buendia - Injured  (Read 239479 times)

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
Re: Emi Buendia - Signed
« Reply #1755 on: April 06, 2023, 01:36:12 PM »
he's provided 5 big chances this season, according to stats, so this is a myth that loads have been missed. It puts hi 40th for chances created in the league.

I like him too but it's not a great output

Off the top of my head, in the last couple of months I can remember: his dummy to set up Coutinho's goal against Arsenal (not technically an assist, but he made the goal), hitting the bar for Ollie to score against Leicester at home (plus setting up Ollie and Bailey for chances they really should have scored), putting Ollie through one-on-one against Bournemouth that the keeper saved, making the pass for McGinn to hit the bar against Chelsea, playing Moreno in to hit the post against Leicester on Tuesday (as well as the actual assist).

I'd love him to be getting more goals and assists, and I think that will come, but I think I've previously described him as the 'Dean Saunders of assists'. He seems to be incredibly unlucky that his output doesn't necessarily reflect his play, in my opinion. But he does give the ball away too cheaply at times, which is so frustrating because we know how good he can be.

Anyway, I love him. If Emery can unlock something in him that gets him to drastically increase his goals and assists, he'll be a sensational player. His work rate alone means that he's a very important player for us.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1756 on: April 06, 2023, 02:00:17 PM »
I'm a big fan of Emi, but I think he's been getting knocked off the ball far too easily recently.  I thought he would manage better as he's tenacious and reasonably stocky, but it's just felt like bigger players are bullying him.  I'm not sure what the answer is as it looks like refs aren't going to protect him.  I guess he's just going to have to learn to shield the ball better or be cuter in winning fouls.

Overall I still really like him, but I hoped we would see a bit more once he started getting regular starts.   

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1757 on: April 06, 2023, 02:05:30 PM »
I've been critical if his sloppiness but I'm coming around to thinking he's becoming a key part of what we do, and he could end up being an absolute superstar by next season. He sees things other's don't and can crack a game open.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1758 on: April 06, 2023, 02:07:13 PM »
he's provided 5 big chances this season, according to stats, so this is a myth that loads have been missed. It puts hi 40th for chances created in the league.

I like him too but it's not a great output

Dougie Luiz has only 4 big chances created, although he has been directly involved in 8 goals to Buendia's 6*. I was also surprised it was only one assist. But I do suspect a lot of that is because like Dougie, he is normally the pass to the assistor when we do get goals. (ball out to fullback/winger for cross, ball through defence to Ramsey to square across box, etc). So a big hand in the creation without the plaudits.

*Buendia's defensive stats are even more surprising. He has 10 clearances and 8 headed clearances (not sure if second number is separate or included in first) where Luiz has 12 and 4.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1759 on: April 06, 2023, 02:11:52 PM »
I've been critical if his sloppiness but I'm coming around to thinking he's becoming a key part of what we do, and he could end up being an absolute superstar by next season. He sees things other's don't and can crack a game open.

He seems to be cutting back on the sloppiness, which is a big plus.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1760 on: April 06, 2023, 02:12:24 PM »
Both him and McGinn are both quite unconventional players, John's arse is more obvious but not many mercurial number 10's are 5ft nothing tenacious little bastards with a sideline in deft headed goals.
It seems Emery recognises it and uses it to our advantage.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1761 on: April 06, 2023, 02:17:00 PM »
Don't like him off the left like at Leicester. More because I think we are better balanced having Ramsey out there and Buendia off Watkins. One thing I really about Buendia is that he isn't afraid to play a quick through ball. It won't always work, which we have to accept, but when it does it will put someone like Watkins through.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1762 on: April 06, 2023, 02:19:21 PM »
We need Kamara back and firing on all cylinders so that we can use Buendia in the Bailey position.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1763 on: April 06, 2023, 08:11:05 PM »
I think he's cut down on both his sloppiness and stroppiness and they're definitely linked. He can be a right mardy-arse when a move breaks down, usually because of him.

He's now got coaches who speak his language (I know Footy took the importance of this to dizzy heights, but I think it can help with certain players, especially those who may need an arm-around) and Unai's staff seem to be experts in imparting to a player how he should be patient and disciplined (witness Ollie's new-found playing style - less movement but more dangerous movement) and I think we're gradually beginning to see this with Buendia.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #1764 on: April 06, 2023, 10:43:04 PM »
I don't think we have anyone else who gives us what Buendia does. He may not be perfect, but often he's the only one making things happen for us.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #1765 on: April 07, 2023, 06:27:52 AM »
If Buendia had McGinn’s arse-using ability, he’d be some player.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1766 on: April 07, 2023, 12:23:47 PM »
Ginny's head-down shoulder-out running style is actually proving more effective than his arse-rolls lately. No surprise, the first single he ever bought* was Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen) by Baz Luhrmann, which provided Meatball with the sage advice:

" Enjoy your body, use it every way you can
Don't be afraid of it or what other people think of it
It's the greatest instrument you'll ever own"

*probably

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #1767 on: April 07, 2023, 01:09:57 PM »
I'm a big fan of Emi, but I think he's been getting knocked off the ball far too easily recently.   

Recently?  Sorry Chris, I think that's been his biggest issue all along.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1768 on: April 07, 2023, 01:44:39 PM »
We need Kamara back and firing on all cylinders so that we can use Buendia in the Bailey position.

Could always try the Donk next to Luiz, rather than change the other three midfielders around to accommodate Bailey like we did at Leicester.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1769 on: April 07, 2023, 01:47:33 PM »

Could always try the Donk next to Luiz, rather than change the other three midfielders around to accommodate Bailey like we did at Leicester.

Yep, not the worst idea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal