collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your first?  (Read 4977 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Your first?
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2021, 11:14:20 AM »
I've been friends with Gary Shaw since we were 4 years old, does that count?

Did he ever get the ugly one?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 11:18:39 AM »
Who was the first Villa player or manager you met in person?

God.

Our school class went on a tour of Villa Park and, because the Ryder Cup was at The Belfry, they had switched training to VP. As we were being shown around he was just sat on the stairs near one of the offices for some reason.

Well, we didn't really "meet" him, just shuffled past awestruck, but I'm counting it.

It must have been 22nd September 1989, so not long after he signed. I already loved him.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 11:21:55 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 11:28:06 AM »
Ron Saunders.

I'd sent a letter to Villa offering my services as a player, (I wasn't a great player, similar to meatball without the skill; but kids - what can you do).

While in Brum for Christmas my Uncle took me to Bodymoor and I was able to talk to him about the letter. He was very polite, said that would only happen if I'd been scouted and signed it again, (he had replied to the original).

I didn't get a trial, no surprise really. I never kept the letter either.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2021, 12:05:51 PM »
Johnny Dixon. Used to live just down the road, and walked past on the way to his shop.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2021, 12:14:12 PM »
I haven't met any of them. My in-laws knew Gerry Hitchens and were mates with Kevin Keelan if that counts?

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2021, 12:14:59 PM »
Lee Hendrie in Rosie's Solihull. A total douchebag.

Villa Rosie? All seems a bit of a blur.

What did he do?

He was out with a load of his hangers on, stood at the bar like he was the fucking mayor or something. He was out injured at the time and when I was at the bar I asked him when he was due back - I said 'We need you man!'. He looked at me blankly and replied "Who's 'we'?"

Twat.

Offline danno

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2021, 12:16:16 PM »
Does anybody remember Villa park having an open day about 1996 or 1997-ish?
I met a few of the players then, Ian Taylor and Ugo.

I've often thought the club should seriously consider doing another one.

There's probably various reasons why not, logistics, player availability, security etc.

But imagine doing it just before the season starts, after the new kit has come out. The club shop alone would do a booming trade.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 12:37:58 PM by danno »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2021, 12:34:22 PM »
Apparently I met a few of the European cup winning team but i was 2 and don't remember any of it.

That I actually know of I met Little, Gregory, Evans and few other staff that I don't remember the names of at an event just before we sign Taylor so probably 3-4 weeks after they arrived.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »
In the wild, never met one until bumping into Savo and Sasa Curcic at the bar in Stoodi's one afternoon. We exchanged head-nodding, eyebrow-flicking "alright?"s.

Edit: although Gary Shaw pushed in in front of me in the queue for the till in Harry Parkes'. Wanker*.

Not really, love you Gary. Although I might've muttered it in my head at the time.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 12:42:20 PM by Lastfootstamper »

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2021, 01:10:31 PM »
I have never met any of them.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2021, 01:29:29 PM »
Stan Lynn, I was playing in the festival league at perry Barr park and he was playing on cricket at the local cricket ground and him and a couple of others sat on the sidelines watching us for about fifteen minutes, he made a few comments, disappointed he never got me signed up.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2021, 01:30:04 PM »
I think I was about thirteen when I found myself at Villa Park just before the gates opened for the match, I'd guess about two hours before kick-off.  On my own, with nothing better to do I went in as soon as they opened, I was one of the first in if not the very first and unusually for me I went into the paddock in front of the Trinity stand as opposed to my usual patch down the Witton End.

I nestled right in the corner by the players tunnel and who should come out but Ray Moore.  He took the time to talk to me about being early and that day's forthcoming game; which was I think, Leyton Orient in their only season in the first division.  To say I was starstruck would be an understatement.

I've met Tommy Docherty, Ron Atkinson and Ron Saunders and a good few players as well as having had the privilege of refereeing the Villa Old Stars where I met the great Johnny Dixon who, in conversation told me the story of how his last game for the Villa came about.

I also had the privilege of refereeing a match in which the late Eamonn Deacey was playing in competition.  Sadly, this eventually led on to an occasion when once again I became starstruck.  It was at the after match reception for Eamonn Deacey's memorial match in Galway which also gave me the pleasure of meeting Ger Regan and Eamonn of this parish.  At this reception I met a good few of the European Cup winning side and then had the honour of meeting Ron Saunders. 

Finally, I first met Allan Evans in Good Hope hospital when my daughter was born as Mrs S was in the same ward as his missus after his sadly now deceased daughter was also born.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2021, 02:02:39 PM »
Brian Tiler came into our classroom at junior school.I have no recollection of it except his lovely hair and sideburns.

Offline Ducksworthy

• GM : 20.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »
Gary Shaw half time during a game in 1996. I remember it happening clearly but I was 5 and didn’t know who he was and was more interested in getting some chips. My dad says he was full of himself.

First one I remember properly (apart from a quick shake of the hand with McGrath in Dublin) was Shaun Teale a few years ago - he was sound. Kept calling my dad “fucking short arse” down the microphone. Given we were in hospitality and Teale was the guest speaker for his birthday I reckon someone somewhere got in trouble for it but dad had a great day and remembers very fondly. I tweeted Shaun a photo of them and said thanks for a great day and he replied “short arse”.

Offline spartacuss

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »
Dion at Stratford Jazz Club.  He bought us a drink too. I savour the memory of the encounter but I can't remember the specific details of when (he'd already left Villa - I suspect it was during our 'lost years'...) Discussed more music than football (confirmed his awesome respect for the fans, though). Musically, he's a big fan of the  Yellowjackets and jazzfusion.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal