collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa Memorabilia by purpletrousers
[Today at 04:19:42 AM]

Next season's kits by Axl Rose
[Today at 01:07:23 AM]

Summer Olympics/Paralympics, Tokyo, delayed to 2021 by Axl Rose
[Today at 01:04:44 AM]

Reserves and Academy 2021/22 by Fred Crump
[Today at 12:44:01 AM]

NSWE Investment by cdbullyweefan
[Today at 12:39:48 AM]

Emi Buendia - Signed by brontebilly
[Today at 12:14:40 AM]

Villa T.V. subscription by eamonn
[Today at 12:04:59 AM]

Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours. by eamonn
[Today at 12:00:14 AM]

July 03, 2021, 09:28:05 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1085 | Comments: 15

It would have been fitting if ...
June 23, 2021, 06:40:04 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 663 | Comments: 2

Having a total aversion to Sub...
June 15, 2021, 06:18:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 753 | Comments: 2

It is not unknown for us to le...
June 07, 2021, 11:24:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 820 | Comments: 3

The money had almost run out b...
May 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1565 | Comments: 10

Itís forever been a myst...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Euro 2020 - Squads, Matches, Discussion  (Read 137351 times)

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
Re: Euro 2020 - Squads, Matches, Discussion
« Reply #3930 on: June 22, 2021, 11:28:57 PM »
Jack was decent and set up the goal. I've seen him play far better but agree he didn't seem to get a lot of the ball given where he was playing. Are we being a bit too conspiracy minded saying people won't pass to him? I don't know. Maybe it is different when he is very clearly our main man and is just one of (allegedly) many in the England squad. Solution is he should be England's main man I guess but that ain't happening.

Overall, with all due respect to our Scottish friends who would kill for a win at a tournament, that was dire. Walking pace attacks again for most of the game. Czechs had a couple of chances first half but seemed to settle for 0-1 second half. I honestly can't see us beating anyone decent. He will undoubtedly drop Jack next game for his hero. Boring.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #3931 on: June 22, 2021, 11:33:53 PM »
Fair play to Scotland in the end.
They got to win a draw against us.   
You have to feel for them. 

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2022
« Reply #3932 on: June 22, 2021, 11:34:40 PM »
Not very good from Jack tonight, I am afraid.
What did Jack do wrong?

If he was playing at 10 for us, he would have dropped into midfield, demanded the ball off the back and been given it. The other two weren't capable of doing it and maybe he should have spotted that and adjusted his game accordingly. He definitely would have for us and in that game for England v Belgium he did that regularly.

In fairness to Jack, none of the subs made any kind of impression, Kane hardly had a touch second half and the midfield two were anonymous so hardly his fault. But I think he could have done more to get involved in the play second half.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #3933 on: June 22, 2021, 11:43:07 PM »

Heís somehow managed to make everyone look worse when they play for England, which is one hell of an achievement.

Absolutely! Once upon a time, not so long ago the Czech Republic were considered more than the sum of their parts. A few creative players including Pavel Nedved who I rated highly, but overall a proper "team". Considered the best in Europe for a short time. England currently are less than the sum of their parts. The squad is strewn with real attacking individual quality and potential and GS has turned them into a defensive, plodding, sideways passing yawn of a team. There have been moments which give you hope, but all is dashed by the seeming fear of the player's to disobey "The Plan" and tow the GS "safety first" line to stay in the team. You even have to say how good he is as a manager to the press. It's all so awful. After the optimism of the last World Cup it's now back to the 80's. It's like the slow suffocation of a bright flame, guttering as it struggles to breathe. When we play Germany or France or even Portugal, I hope there is a camera on GS throughout. It'll be an education in the body language of someone totally out of their depth and divoid of any answers.

I hope, but doubt, that he will prove me wrong.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #3934 on: June 22, 2021, 11:55:22 PM »
It was noticeable that our players are so used to passing backwards that both Henderson and Phillips dived in to win the ball on the "wrong side of goal" expecting the ball to be played back. This allowed the Czech player to just turn and run at the defence but luckily they had no quality either.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #3935 on: June 22, 2021, 11:58:25 PM »
What did Jack do wrong?

If he was playing at 10 for us, he would have dropped into midfield, demanded the ball off the back and been given it. The other two weren't capable of doing it and maybe he should have spotted that and adjusted his game accordingly. He definitely would have for us and in that game for England v Belgium he did that regularly.

In fairness to Jack, none of the subs made any kind of impression, Kane hardly had a touch second half and the midfield two were anonymous so hardly his fault. But I think he could have done more to get involved in the play second half.

In the second half it seemed Jack was moved to play as a second striker and was level with Kane several times before he was subbed. Whether that was his lack of fitness catching up or his injury playing up but I wasn't upset when he went off as he definitely wasn't Jack of first half of last season.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 11.09.2021
« Reply #3936 on: June 23, 2021, 12:13:44 AM »
An observation on watching England on TV is that the pundits are too invested in their club sides. A football geek journalist and some ex-players that have never played in the PL might add some unbiased views.  when all the pundits originated from the big six club the bias is too obvious.  except Keane who is happy to be miserable about anyone.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3937 on: June 23, 2021, 04:30:21 AM »
Working rather late today and very happy to hear the result; also, that Jack started, played well ( youíre outnumbered pelts!) and crossed for the goal, yay! 😃

Ing er Lund!!!

Sorry CD, not meant as an, in your face thing. Scotland will revive and come back with interest and SJM. We H&Vers know it will happen! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I don't share your optimism, but thanks anyway Lou. 🙂

No complaints today, beaten by much the better team. Modric is still fantastic.

Unlucky mate. Really hoped to wake up to Scotland through and Jack having started/played well. Got half of what I wanted I suppose.

Got to make sure you get to the World Cup now, and unearth a great striker from somewhere. That would definitely make a difference from what I've seen of Scotland of late.

Online ozzjim

• GM : 14.09.2017
« Reply #3938 on: June 23, 2021, 05:42:12 AM »
Starting Adams over that woeful Dykes would be a start. He can't hit a barn door. Thought Scotland were mightily unlucky against the Czechs in the first game to be fair to them.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #3939 on: June 23, 2021, 06:38:00 AM »
I thought Jack did okay in the 1st Half, but 2nd half he and the team struggled against fairly average opposition

Based on last nights performance, cannot see us getting past the 1st knock out stage of the tournament (unless by a miracle we are playing Hungary)

It will be interesting to see who Southgate picks next Tuesday, I would imagine Mings will play in a back 5 and both Grealish and Saka (last nights MOTM) will start on the bench

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3940 on: June 23, 2021, 07:31:22 AM »
ITV analysts more like cheerleaders...

Quite.  They would make the North Korean propagandists blush with the over trumped BS theyíve been blurting out.
Take a look at the Ďnewspaperí front pages on the beeb website. Itís like a parallel universe.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 07.02.2022
« Reply #3941 on: June 23, 2021, 07:59:58 AM »
What did Jack do wrong?

In the second half it seemed Jack was moved to play as a second striker and was level with Kane several times before he was subbed. Whether that was his lack of fitness catching up or his injury playing up but I wasn't upset when he went off as he definitely wasn't Jack of first half of last season.

I donít think it helped that when Kane dropped deep he took up the space in the pockets that Jack would have been looking for.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 27.01.2022
« Reply #3942 on: June 23, 2021, 08:26:04 AM »
Few bits of optimism for Scotland.

The oldest outfield player is 30. Gilmour, Patterson and Turnbull look like good prospects.

Just need a proper striker, hopefully Nisbet, to play in front of Adams. Also, bad as Dykes is, at least he's better than McBurnie.

Down sides are that our Keepers are ancient and our CBs aren't very good.

Offline john e

• GM : 20.02.2022
« Reply #3943 on: June 23, 2021, 08:29:49 AM »
As others have said heís only going to play his best game if he has the ball which sounds a ridiculous thing to say but he doesnít get it as much as he does at Villa

Everything at Villa goes to him and through him
Itís never going to be the same at international level it just isnít as much as we like it or to revolve around Jack itís not going to happen

Iím also thinking thatís a bit of an eye-opener as to what might happen if he played for someone like Man City
And before anyone says Iím trying to sell him Iím not itís just an observation

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #3944 on: June 23, 2021, 08:36:18 AM »
Watching England play is like watching paint dry. The plan seems to be keep it tight and try and nick a goal. Ummm. Seem to remember someone similar. The plan usually falls apart against the better teams especially when they take the lead.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal