collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 06:43:59 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Forge10
[Today at 06:41:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Mister E
[Today at 06:38:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 06:37:29 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by VillaTim
[Today at 06:36:42 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by villadelph
[Today at 06:36:10 PM]

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by paul_e
[Today at 06:19:13 PM]

Re: Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by Legion
[Today at 06:17:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What was it like to be back?  (Read 5175 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: What was it like to be back?
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2021, 11:19:51 PM »
People leaving early? That's surely up to them?

Of course it is, but given the result was in the balance and the fact that there was no traffic, deliberately missing the end is more than a bit odd.

Maybe they were worried about leaving in a crowd?

Which would make more sense if there was one!

10k spread around the whole of VP isn't much of a crowd at all.
You would think that but it was. Walking down Witton Lane towards the church and expressway  I had to slow down several time to avoid getting too close to other fans or avoid fans coming from Holte End. If there had been 40K in there the ground would have emptied a little later but it would have made very little difference to people movement outside the ground. So yes 10000 leaving made the place busy outside the ground.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »

Of course it is, but given the result was in the balance and the fact that there was no traffic, deliberately missing the end is more than a bit odd.

Maybe they were, & I can understand this, but maybe they could have thought about leaving it to people who would have stayed for the whole game? Usually, I have come to terms with people leaving early being their choice, but as someone who would have loved to have the oppportunity to be there, I can’t help but feel resentful of those who were and left early. It feels like they didn’t understand their privilege.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2025
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2021, 12:16:16 AM »

It wasn’t push-against-you-tight leaving the lower Holte @FT, but it was being very close in a big crowd, absolutely no distancing efforts. The bizarre thing is the creed you had to agree to said stay in your seats and leave in an organised way directed by stewards. There was no reminder announcement to that effect and seemingly the idea abandoned, or someone took their eye badly off the ball & forgot to announce, but I suspect they just didn’t bother trying to control a crowd.

Beyond that it felt a privilege to go with my Dad again, grateful we were both around to be able to be lucky in the ballot, lost too many colleagues and patients since I was last there. My voice is suitably extra hoarse as I was aware I was representing others.

A bit odd seeing players for the first time in the flesh (Oli & Emi) that I’ve already developed great affection for.

It did feel the first semblances of a return to normality. No idea what next season will look like.

The booing at the start was a bit shocking & upsetting, I couldn’t quite believe it and so it took a moment to register and get clapping to drown it out, Tyrone has suitably addressed it on social media. I’ve additionally seen report of racist noises on twitter in response to his tweet sadly.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2021, 07:16:23 AM »
The booing was disappointing, but it is called freedom of speech, if you don't like something you have the right to disagree with it.

Good day out, well organised nobody looked at my photo on my ticket, to see if it matched.

Thought it went a bit quiet at times, and why were we singing about that lot from across the other side of the city so often during the game?

We need more variety of songs.

I was told yesterday up to 25,000 next season for the first few months, I assume it will be season ticket holders and when / if away travel is allowed to other grounds it will be a ballot where all season ticket holders will be able to apply for a ticket.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2021, 07:34:42 AM »
did people get there ticket checked with the id photo before entry
or would it have been possible to have got in on someone else’s ticket

Offline sid1964

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2021, 08:15:51 AM »
John e - no one checked my photo

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »
No one checked our photos and coming out after the game was not social distanced at all. There was someone sitting behind me (in a row that was supposed to be left empty) for ages talking to his mate who was 2 seats away from me and someone in front had a disposable bottle of coke from Tesco. No stewards by the toilets, in fact most of what was in the instructions they sent before the game was not adheared to after entry to the ground. One steward did say "welcome back" as we got through the turnstile.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2021, 08:50:57 AM »

In fairness the the Witton upper concourse and Witton Lane were very busy at the end.  If people were nervous I kind of get it.  Equally, they could have stayed an extra 5 mins and would have been fine.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2021, 08:55:01 AM »
did people get there ticket checked with the id photo before entry
or would it have been possible to have got in on someone else’s ticket

Would have been fine with someone elses ticket

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2021, 08:58:17 AM »
What was it like at half time, could you mill around concourse/use the bogs/go out to vape? Seems like more of a normal matchday experience than what they did for trial events last December so feels promising for next season.

Officially you were told not to leave your seat unless you had to use the toilet and round by me most people seemed to follow that.

Other than the toilet there was no point going to the concourse. All the outlets were closed and there were no smoking/vaping areas. It was great to be back at Villa Park obviously, but I really hope when we're back in August it's back to normal - sitting in the stand for almost 3 hours without any food or drink is a bit of a pain in the arse.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2021, 08:58:49 AM »
Was really shocked to see a fair number of young people amongst the the Holte Enders In The Sky  tributeyesterday. So sad.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2021, 08:59:50 AM »
thanks everyone for answering my question
Much appreciated

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2021, 09:11:15 AM »
No check of photo ID and no temperature check either.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2021, 09:13:04 AM »
Generally it was great, the stewarding was fine without being over bearing.  The distancing between the seats was plenty and I'm not sure wearing a mask during the game was really necessary.  The loos were ok, a bit busy at the end but nothing excessive.

The atmosphere was pretty good given the numbers.  It was suprising how loud it go at times, but there were spells when it was too quiet too.  The booing was pretty lmited and very quickly drowned out.  Still pissed me off though.

Was great to see Emi, Oli etc get such a good reception, must have been nice for them.  NIce to hear a the Kodjia song for Emi - think that one will stick.  Ollie got "Do do do doo, Ollie Watkins"

Generally a really good afternoon and it was brilliant to be back.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2021, 09:25:34 AM »
Was anybody who attended close to any of those people booing? If so, did you say anything to the individuals involved?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal