collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Carney Chukwuemeka by nigel
[Today at 08:15:38 AM]

Conor Hourihane - thanks and farewell by nigel
[Today at 08:13:15 AM]

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread by Footy-Vill
[Today at 08:08:04 AM]

Ashley Young by Footy-Vill
[Today at 07:56:06 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2022/23 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 07:34:00 AM]

The Arrers by Joe S
[Today at 06:28:31 AM]

Season Tickets - 2022/23 by Dogtanian
[Today at 05:49:26 AM]

The cycling thread by Gareth
[July 06, 2022, 11:39:34 PM]

August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 17307 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 20146 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 16051 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 15336 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...
August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 15949 | Comments: 11

The new name for the 100 ball ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Carney Chukwuemeka  (Read 78879 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Carney Chukwuemeka
« Reply #705 on: June 23, 2022, 01:14:06 PM »
Not many players that age step up and take the first team by storm when given their chance. Ramsey didn't, he grew into it. The same will happen with Chuck hopefully.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #706 on: June 23, 2022, 01:15:13 PM »
I think heíll stay and our midfield will be Kamara, Ramsey & Chuck
He's done absolutely nothing to justify a start for the first team.  I hope he stays and he becomes brilliant but he's got a long way to go before he earns a starting place for Villa as far as I'm concerned.

I think that's harsh, he's been more effective in some games than others but I've been impressed by his composure when he has played. I reckon another dozen or so appearances (a la Ramsey) and we'll see him go up through the gears and start doing the kind of things you saw last night to senior pros.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #707 on: June 23, 2022, 01:15:23 PM »
He still has 12 months left on his contract, buyers either need to show some serious money or piss off. I'd rather he stays for another season and spends it with the U12s than give him away for peanuts.

If we did that, he'd go for nothing.

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2023
« Reply #708 on: June 23, 2022, 01:18:18 PM »
Depending on the draws, I would look to give him starts in the cups next season. If he does well, then see about some against the right teams in the league. I think last season we didnít really give him as much time as we could, but it didnít help having early exits in both cups.

I know we donít want to be held to ransom, and we object to the perceived slight in not signing early, but heís further along than any of our other academy players and we donít want to cut our nose off to spite our face.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #709 on: June 23, 2022, 01:24:31 PM »
Depending on the draws, I would look to give him starts in the cups next season. If he does well, then see about some against the right teams in the league. I think last season we didnít really give him as much time as we could, but it didnít help having early exits in both cups.

I know we donít want to be held to ransom, and we object to the perceived slight in not signing early, but heís further along than any of our other academy players and we donít want to cut our nose off to spite our face.

I agree, he's potentially a world class player and those don't come along every day.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #710 on: June 23, 2022, 01:27:03 PM »
He still has 12 months left on his contract, buyers either need to show some serious money or piss off. I'd rather he stays for another season and spends it with the U12s than give him away for peanuts.

If we did that, he'd go for nothing.

No flies on you. He/his agent are playing us, I'd prefer we fight fire with fire. His agent won't be looking so smart when we refuse to sell him for next to nothing.

Out of interest, if we were to sell, how much should we be asking? I'd hope we'd be demanding the best part of £15m with sell-on clauses.

Online Dogtanian

« Reply #711 on: June 23, 2022, 01:37:10 PM »
If I had an 18yo son who was with a Premier League club he didnít support, was widely regarded as a fantastic prospect, and wasnít getting the opportunity to prove it on the pitch, Iíd be telling him to keep his options open too. Once he signs that contract he has no leverage whatsoever.

How many kids have taken the money and signed and then ended up released without ever getting a chance? Itís a short career and heís actually being really sensible.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #712 on: June 23, 2022, 01:39:05 PM »
But he has been getting the opportunity to prove it on the pitch. There lies the difference.

Online Dogtanian

« Reply #713 on: June 23, 2022, 01:43:09 PM »
But he has been getting the opportunity to prove it on the pitch. There lies the difference.

I donít agree, but then itís not our opinions that matter, itís his. He obviously doesnít think so.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #714 on: June 23, 2022, 01:44:38 PM »
If I had an 18yo son who was with a Premier League club he didnít support, was widely regarded as a fantastic prospect, and wasnít getting the opportunity to prove it on the pitch, Iíd be telling him to keep his options open too. Once he signs that contract he has no leverage whatsoever.

How many kids have taken the money and signed and then ended up released without ever getting a chance? Itís a short career and heís actually being really sensible.

I think he's getting as many opportunities as his performances deserve. He started multiple Premier League games last season and come off the bench for a reasonable amount as well. He's looked decent when he's played. Very raw with bags of potential. I think the amount of minutes he's played perfectly reflects that. Assuming his development continues he'd be highly likely to feature a lot more next season.

I'd have thought Villa would have been the perfect place for him at the moment. Is he really going to move to Dortmund and start every game for them?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2022
« Reply #715 on: June 23, 2022, 01:46:25 PM »

I'm not sure.  I feel he's already cost himself gametime with the contract stand off and may continue to do so next season.  He may be stifling his own growth with his agents greed and his naievity.

I totally get the draw of Dortmund, but I reckon if he'd signed a 2 year extension and gone to the Championship on loan last season he'd now be absolutely ready to hit the ground running next season.

Online Mister E

• GM : 13.02.2023
« Reply #716 on: June 23, 2022, 03:07:04 PM »
I think he's getting as many opportunities as his performances deserve. He started multiple Premier League games last season and come off the bench for a reasonable amount as well. He's looked decent when he's played. Very raw with bags of potential. I think the amount of minutes he's played perfectly reflects that. Assuming his development continues he'd be highly likely to feature a lot more next season.
I'd have thought Villa would have been the perfect place for him at the moment. Is he really going to move to Dortmund and start every game for them?
12 appearances in the League; 2 in the EFL Cup. I reckon he only started 2 or 3 games last season. So, he has not been given loads of gametime.
But, his model should be JRamsey, who got 25 appearances in 2020-21 and then 35 last season.
Playing in front of a decent defence and with a decent CMF - and alongside the likes of Buendia and Coutinho - should make him feel that he could progress quickly next season, if he puts in the hard yards.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #717 on: June 23, 2022, 03:34:49 PM »
Playing in front of a decent defence and with a decent CMF - and alongside the likes of Buendia and Coutinho - should make him feel that he could progress quickly next season, if he puts in the hard yards.

That's the problem though, SG has sacrificed Emi B to the bench and generally brings him on to replace Coutinho. Carney also prefers to play as a left sided 10, so that's three players fighting for one place. Ideally I'd like to see a top class striker who could feed off Coutinho on the left and Emi B on the right, that way Carney would be more likely to get more minutes off the bench and making the occasional start when needed.

We've an embarrassment of riches for the 10 role, SG needs to find a way to utilise best the talent he's been blessed with.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
« Reply #718 on: June 23, 2022, 05:32:37 PM »
12 appearances in the League; 2 in the EFL Cup. I reckon he only started 2 or 3 games last season. So, he has not been given loads of gametime.
But, his model should be JRamsey, who got 25 appearances in 2020-21 and then 35 last season.

His total minutes were about 290 in the league last season.  That's the equivalent of 3 and a bit games.  Not loads, but also not completely insignificant for a 17/18 year old, but still only about half of what Ramsey got in 20/21 as an 19-year-old when he was being integrated into the side (though the lengthy Grealish injury gave him more first-team opportunities than he would have got otherwise). 

It's THIS year, as an 18/19-year-old when he should be getting a reasonable amount game time (if he's good enough), the question is, will he get it without signing a new contract?

Offline Smithy

• GM : 11.07.2015
« Reply #719 on: June 23, 2022, 05:35:19 PM »
I should add, that it's only two games into the Euro U19 tournament and people are already talking about him as a potential 'player of the tournament'.  If England have a decent run, and he gets that award, I think we'd find it almost impossible to keep him without guarantees of playing time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal