collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 23/24 by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 10:45:38 AM]

FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:27:04 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 23/24 by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 10:45:38 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 10:42:46 AM]

Re: FFP by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:27:04 AM]

Re: FFP by Simon Page
[Today at 10:26:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:26:05 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Simon Page
[Today at 10:20:43 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crystal Palace 3-2 Utterly inept Aston Villa  (Read 11471 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Crystal Palace 3-2 Utterly inept Aston Villa
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2021, 05:02:06 PM »
I'm not surprised Elmo and El Ghazi faded given its been 10 or 11 hours since they last drank water, never mind took on sustenance.

Ramadan finished on Thursday night.
:)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2021, 05:05:48 PM »
From making the game look easy for most of the first half we were beyond inept in the second. No doubt the manager will blame the players and not himself for the collapse. We could have lost by more in the end. Really poor second half against a shit Palace side.

Root of our problem (as its been for years) is our inability to retain the ball under pressure.  We looked good in the first half because Palace didn't press us.  Hodgson changed it in the second half, Townsend,  Eze and Zaha kept the ball in our half, and we crumbled.  Read for the Burnley game.

We need more players that are comfortable on the ball under pressure, not ones who look like someone had tossed them a primed hand grenade.

Traore is one of the worst for that. If he's not doing his one party trick he's a complete liability.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2021, 05:06:25 PM »
COVID-19. Jack Grealish. 2 large structural deficiencies in our season.

And being one of the few Premier League clubs who had to give their all until the final minute of last season didn't help.
Now I understand why West Ham have missed out on Champions League place.

Online Proposition Joe

« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2021, 05:23:52 PM »

And being one of the few Premier League clubs who had to give their all until the final minute of last season didn't help.

I would say our intensity at the end of last season, coupled with the short preseason helped us if anything. We started the season hot while many teams were stone cold, and if, heaven help us, our post-Xmas slump has been regressing to the mean rather than a dip, then that hot streak pre-Xmas kept us up.

Side note, whenever Dean set the team an ad hoc target this season, they let him down badly.

"Europe is the goal now": fail.
"Top half has to be the goal now": fail.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2021, 05:24:07 PM »

West Ham were safe two weeks before we were. That's my point.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2021, 05:36:23 PM »
2nd half horror show with dismal game management.

Whether Smith has £100 million, £200,000 million or £500,000 million to spend in the summer, it won't help his shortcomings as a Premier League manager.

He's done a great job to get us up, keep us up and put us into mid table. If we wish to seriously progress as a club, the owners and the board need to start having serious conversations.
If he can't build a top team with five hundred thousand million to spend he definitely deserves the sack.

:)

Agreed, he'd have the second biggest PL budget after Man Citeh so should at least make top 4.

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2021, 05:37:29 PM »
Deano just didn't react to the Palace dominance at the start of the second half. Similar to the Burnley away game. Why was Eze was given the freedom if midfield is a mystery. Rather than 3 forwards he surely should have put on Nakamba. Very poor game management.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2021, 05:40:17 PM »
Really poor second half as had been said, started to let Eze have a free reign and to be fair to them they also hit the bar twice, so no misfortune at our end. We opened up Palace at will first half and they were there for the taking.
Barkley has been a massive let down, but today shows why Smith has been picking him, apart from Leeds away, every time Ramsey has started he hasn’t been up to scratch, to weak in the challenge, to predictable in his passing, to slow to shoot, loses his man too easily. He’s only young and will get better hopefully, but shows why calls for throwing in the kids is wide of the mark.
Grealish looks off the pace but I’d rather start him for last 2 games and allow him time to grow into the game and take him off when he tires.
The comparison to Leeds on this thread are interesting. This time last year lots on here we’re lauding Chris Wilder and Sheffield Utd and lauding them in direct comparison to Smiths deficiencies. Good luck to Leeds and Bielsa, but there is no certainty they will progress next year and absolutely no certainty they will progress at a better rate than us, like Sheffield their style of play will be found out for one. It all depends on keeping Grealish and who we buy, we need to buy a defensive midfielder and much better right winger and another forward.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2021, 05:43:18 PM »
Thankfully I have 24 cans of 9% lemon sour type alcohol thing. A joint or a bag of magic mushrooms would really take the edge off. Unfortunately the latter would end up with me being deported.

Up the Villa all.

Just tell immigration we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. 

Works a treat, I find.

Bill????

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2021, 05:43:56 PM »

West Ham were safe two weeks before we were. That's my point.

I really don't think that having to continue to win games made all that much difference. The likes of Martinez, Ollie, Barkley, Traore and Cash weren't here anyway, and El Ghazi was mostly a very late sub for the last few games of last season.

Our players don't look tired, they're just not very well organised at the moment.

Offline wittonlady

« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2021, 06:12:11 PM »
Smith is to slow to change things when the game starts turning against us. We need to get Tammy back in the summer. He knows his Chelsea era will not blossom under Tuchel nor will his England one. And in my opinion i would ge walking up the road and rescue Pereria from the baggies. He is far too good for the championship

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2021, 07:09:53 PM »
Good first half bad second half.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2021, 07:27:51 PM »
Good first half bad second half.
That sums up the season in a nutshell Darren :)

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2021, 09:14:44 PM »
I just think it’s been too hard to keep the intensity going - I’m not too disappointed but know we could have pushed on a bit.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2021, 09:39:40 PM »
Should have been out of sight in the first half. The second half was disgusting and to a man they should be ashamed.

Dean deserves to spend the Summer 'warchest', but next season he needs to deliver on challenging for Europe, or step aside.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal