collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The H&V Player of the Season vote  (Read 13304 times)

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: The H&V Player of the Season vote
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2021, 09:46:30 AM »
Isn't it great that we have so many candidates. It just shows how much better the players we have are and how much they are all improving.  :)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2021, 09:48:28 AM »
Isn't it great that we have so many candidates. It just shows how much better the players we have are and how much they are all improving.  :)

It is, and the defence is a solid base to build things on. It's a bit crap though that there's not a single midfielder even been mentioned, let alone received a vote. That department needs a massive overhaul in the summer.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »
So many positives for me this season and the foundations are in place for us to progress into the future with confidence and belief.

Close call but Emi Martinez gets my vote because he's been superb from day one and hasn't put a foot wrong.
Brilliant signing.

For the first time in years though there are choices for this award!!

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2021, 10:47:46 AM »
I was quite a vocal critic on here last season/start of this season, and this fella has well and truly smashed that humble pie in my cakehole!

Honourable mentions for Emi and Jack, but Matty Targett gets my vote. Our only ever present this season, and a solid 8 out of 10 in every game, starting with the 7-2 mauling of Liverpool.

Can't remember seeing a player improve so quickly - He was pretty much terrible up to and including the Fulham game early season, but almost like a flick of the switch, suddenly became a solid and assured LB overnight?!

Cracking season Matty, and long may it continue!  UTV!

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2021, 12:30:33 PM »
I voted for Emi.
There are now two players at the club that I wouldn't swap for any player - Emi & Jack.
Closely followed by Konsa & Targett.
Who are in turn followed by Olly, Cash & Mings.
2 irreplaceable & 5 nearly irreplaceable players, allows serious upgrades in the Summer for the remaining positions.
It's been a very long time since I've felt we are on the brink of something exceptional.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
Jack for me, without him we have been average at very best, with him we were excellent. He makes everyone around him better, a truly world class player.

The defence have kept us going across the course of the season and collectively deserve credit. Konsa has barely dipped below 8 out of 10 and would ordinarily walk the player of the year award. Same for Targett really. Emi is world class and has made an incredible difference. He has made the odd mistake though - West Ham at home spring to mind - but that's been ultra critical. Mings has been particularly brilliant over the 2nd half of the season as well.

Overall I'd say you could make a case for Jack, Konsa, Targett, Martinez, Mings and Watkins in that order. Perhaps Cash too. McGinn, Luiz, El Ghazi and Traore have all contributed plenty too, just a little more inconsistently than the others. It is great to have choice though, and a set of players who seem so keen to improve.

The next stage of improvement is even tougher than this one has been. It will mean some fan favourites who have contributed a lot may no longer be first team regulars and we will need to start rotating our squad more sensibly too.

Offline FailsworthVillan

« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2021, 12:50:53 PM »
I’d include Trezeguet in your final quartet but an otherwise excellent summation Mr Beard.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2021, 06:45:07 PM »
For once we have a few to pick from, but I'd go for Konsa.  Barely put a foot wrong and it's a travesty he hasn't at least been considered for an England squad yet.  Really feel we could be seeing the early days of another great Villa centre back.

Online john2710

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2021, 08:31:06 PM »
Konsa & Martinez have made a few mistakes recently. Grealish was the best player in the league before his injury. Watkins is another who's been consistently good.

Not much between them, but it's Matt Targett for me, he's been excellent all season.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2021, 09:28:33 AM »
Trouble with Konsa he makes things look easy never flashy. Mr cool.

Offline nigel

« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »
I think it was always going to be between Emi and Jack, but I’m really pleased that Matt Targett has got some well deserved recognition.
Ezri has had a great season, and it’s frightening that the lad will get better. We’ve got one heck of a player there.
Tyrone has marshalled the defence really well, I think that frequently gets overlooked. This, and having a world class keeper, has probably helped Matt and Ezri flourish this season.
Must not forget Matt Cash in the quartet, a very good debut season

Bit surprised Ollie has so few, but I think that’s more down to how excellent the defence have been playing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:00:34 AM by nigel »

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2021, 06:09:12 PM »
I've loved the contributions of Martinez and Watkins. Every single game I have enjoyed watching them as part of our team; such an uplift on so much of what has gone before but my vote has gone to Matt Targett.

In some of his early games last season, I really felt that Southampton had done a number on us. He looked okay-ish at times but just didn't seem up for it physically and, along with many others, I wondered when we were going to get a proper left-back.
Well, guess what? He was here all along and I couldn't be happier for him. Excellent season Matt.

Brilliant, positive thread by the way; A joy to read.
Well done one-and-all.   

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2021, 10:57:49 PM »
I’ve voted for El Gazi can’t believe his goal scoring exploits Timo W that’s the way it’s done

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2021, 09:36:53 AM »
I’ve voted for El Gazi can’t believe his goal scoring exploits Timo W that’s the way it’s done

Had to re-read that mate, I thought you were suggesting El Ghazi used some kind of voodoo to extract Werner's goalscoring ability from him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal