collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Plucky Naive Aston Villa 1-3 Penalty United post match thread  (Read 13817 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Plucky Naive Aston Villa 1-3 Penalty United post match thread
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2021, 07:00:50 PM »
Players like Cavani, much like Ronaldo or Ibrahimovic are proper world class quality footballers. Even in their advanced years they are just head and shoulders in their intelligence above most others. Though can see what they have when they can bring him on and in an instant he can completely change games or integrate into them that makes an actual difference. We are a long way from that.

I am starting to sound like  broken record, but we are only as far away from 'that' as buying one of these players.  We will have to pay more because we aren't in the 'champions' league.  But it can be done if the will is there (the money is).

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2021, 07:01:13 PM »
Same old same old

Our goal was v superb play, McGinn & Traore 👏

Not sure I can see Deans point ref the penalty, it was a penalty all day long, silly tackle to even attempt & completely unnecessary.  Douglas needs to step up his game!

Second goal was poor from Mings but Emi should have saved it comfortably.

Third was a good goal

Greenwood handball, for VAR to spend what 2 minutes looking at it & then not inviting the ref to have a 2nd look is why VAR is all wrong....those conversations need to be broadcast as there is no way to trust the process.

Watkins sending off was plain wrong, for the referee to call him out as cheating he has to be certain that he was indeed cheating & there is no way he can have been certain.... he refereed the whole game like an autograph hunter & he couldn’t not wait to do his duty and send someone off.

I get his point. I agree the challenge was unnecessary and Luiz gave the ref a chance to give the penalty but Pogba was absolutely playing for it. The ball was rolling away from him following the first challenge and he made no attempt to play it, just stepped across Luiz and waited for contact before making a big show of going to ground. If you watch the whole thing from Smith his point is how can that be a penalty purely becaues Pogba went over when others (he used Sterling as his example) take that same amount of contact 4-5 times in a single run into the box and get nothing. As ever the problem is that refs are encouraging players to go down under minimal contact because they show week after week that they will give free kicks and penalties for it.

What makes it so frustrating is that the same referee half an hour later decides to act completely differently to another challenge and sends a player off for diving. Referees in the premier league have absolutely no credibility when it comes to punishing dives because they've spent years rewarding them.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2021, 07:04:17 PM »
Players like Cavani, much like Ronaldo or Ibrahimovic are proper world class quality footballers. Even in their advanced years they are just head and shoulders in their intelligence above most others. Though can see what they have when they can bring him on and in an instant he can completely change games or integrate into them that makes an actual difference. We are a long way from that.

I am starting to sound like  broken record, but we are only as far away from 'that' as buying one of these players.  We will have to pay more because we aren't in the 'champions' league.  But it can be done if the will is there (the money is).

I don’t think you can really attract that type of player unless you are a team in the CL. We need to have a higher stock in European football to be attractive to them also. Anyone if they have the money can overpay but I don’t want that now. Cavani is a luxury player at a club that can afford the luxury.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2021, 07:13:20 PM »
Good finish from Traore.  Poor from Mings to get turned liked that, seemed flat footed.  Cavani got inbetween the lines and scored well.  Their penalty was shocking.  Luiz had two goes at Pogba, who couldn't wait to throw himself to the floor.  He already had one attempt as he turned away from goal only for the completely over-rated Luiz to, astonishingly, have a second bite.  No, it was not a penalty, it was a dive, but why oh why do such a completely twattish thing like kick him twice.  For such a so called world class player, Pogba really does seem to fall over his own feet a lot in penalty areas!  The Villa penalty appeal, how is this even a debate?  Your arm being above your head, is an un-natural position for it to be in.  Clear and definite penalty all day long.  It stopped the ball from going forward in the penalty area.  Penalty.  Ollie Watkins, must be honest, I think he played for the penalty and didn't appeal in any way at all when the referee second booked him.  Naivety perhaps but he should have protested more than he did.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2021, 07:24:49 PM »
It's not just the unnatural position, it's the way he waved his arms to block the ball.

Ball hits your hand/ arm = very little you can do about it.

Try to control or block the ball with your arm = penalty.

This was always the case even before the so-called clarification earlier in the season about unnatural positions and all the other bollocks. But for this game and this game only, it's not a penalty.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2021, 07:30:05 PM »
KevinGage, I couldn't agree more, regardless of unnatural positions or it being accidental/deliberate etc, the ball hit his arm in the penalty box which stopped the ball from going towards goal.  It's such a wank decision it's incompetent.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2021, 07:31:21 PM »
"The boy [El Ghazi] landed on top of him and he twisted his ankle,” Solskjær said.

Errmm - didn't the ref a foul to us for this?

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2021, 07:40:34 PM »
This is going to stay with me and I don't give a fuck. That was blatant cheating today, a bias towards one side above the other. Not game changing at all but that is not relevant, turning a blind eye to one team in favour of another is disgusting and disgraceful.
We can shrug our shoulders but that is to give in to skullduggery and shithousing.
I hate moaning after the event but if I was Smith I'd be banging on about this for as long as it takes.

There is no game if this is the game.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2021, 07:48:32 PM »
"The boy [El Ghazi] landed on top of him and he twisted his ankle,” Solskjær said.

Errmm - didn't the ref a foul to us for this?
Yes. Cavani fouled El Ghazi and he collided with Maguire as he fell. Surprised Cavanagh didn't book Anwar given other decisions he made.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2021, 07:50:24 PM »
Its obvious as fuck but unfortunately is just accepted.

There was an incident in the first half were Maguire kicked it out of play and the fat faced bell end started berating the linesman for not giving the  throw in in their favour. Its systematic.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2021, 08:09:01 PM »
We have to get that nasty streak into our players of getting into referrees  and question why someone from Manchester was allowed to referee the game even before kick off, can you imagine Ferguson letting some Scouse doing a Liverpool Manchester game

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2021, 08:09:56 PM »
the only thing that counts is the result and it was as predictable as night following day. Our record against both Manchester teams is beyond awful.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2021, 08:12:48 PM »
the only thing that counts is the result and it was as predictable as night following day. Our record against both Manchester teams is beyond awful.

Nice to see you back. You've not been on for a couple of games.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2021, 08:13:33 PM »
We have to get that nasty streak into our players of getting into referrees  and question why someone from Manchester was allowed to referee the game even before kick off, can you imagine Ferguson letting some Scouse doing a Liverpool Manchester game

We do, I think we started to have it with Jack, he developed a clever as fuck side to his game. Moaning about everything, constantly at the ref, a 'shithouse' as the kids put it.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2021, 08:14:26 PM »
never been away  Dasve and its one fact you can't dispute. Our record is appalling against both of them

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal