collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What was it like to be back?  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: What was it like to be back?
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2021, 09:33:59 AM »
Was really shocked to see a fair number of young people amongst the the Holte Enders In The Sky  tributeyesterday. So sad.

It was noticeable from my position in the lower north with eyes on about 4 boxes above me how no-one in those boxes stood to pay tribute. It was obvious what was going on from the giant screens and fans standing, clapping and singing heits. Being kind maybe people in corporate boxes forget how to pay respects once they enter their protected bubbles of hospitality.

Offline mas54321

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
Being back felt like for the first time in a long time that things are going to get better. I live in London so have hardly seen any of my family for the past 12 months. It’s hard not to get detached from everything after such an extended period of isolation. My three enduring memories from the game:
Goosebumps before kickoff. There are brighter days ahead.
Disgust at the booing imbeciles. I so wish football didn’t attract the utter scum that it continues to in large numbers.
Profound sadness during the half time tribute. Many of us have lost somebody throughout this... but seeing all those pictures, old and young, so many of them was emotional.

There was a pre-check out on the street before you arrive at the turnstiles (metal detectors, but no body thermometers that I saw), and from the turnstile onwards it was just like a normal day.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2021, 09:51:21 AM »
Was really shocked to see a fair number of young people amongst the the Holte Enders In The Sky  tributeyesterday. So sad.

A friend of mines baby granddaughter was on there, and whilst its sad to see anyone of any age, seeing her was just heartbreaking. The Holte End did them all proud with the applause.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2021, 10:48:36 AM »
Was in the Trinity,  well sorted access etc by the stewards. Everyone seemed to be happy and smiling. Was quite emotional seeing the team come out and they looked pleased to see us! A lot of love shown to Emi during the match and he did all the right things with waves etc. Really impressed with Ollie and his intelligent runs and close control which I hadnt really appreciated watching on TV. Also, really brought it home how good Tyrone is as a leader, constantly organising everyone, again which you dont always get from TV. Nice lap at the end by the players - no solo effort from Jack (a la Kane) so hes not going anywhere! When El Ghazi got subbed he walked off the pitch on the Witton side to get the applause and a few fist bumps. Great day, "you never know what you've got till its gone" as the song goes. I have a spare programme if anyone wants it.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2021, 10:53:26 AM »
I also have a spare programme if anyone wants it

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2021, 11:18:37 AM »
The tribute at halftime was very moving. Shocked at how many young people had passed away.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2021, 11:19:56 AM »
When El Ghazi got subbed he walked off the pitch on the Witton side to get the applause and a few fist bumps. Great day, "you never know what you've got till its gone" as the song goes. I have a spare programme if anyone wants it.

He was told by the ref to leave at the closest point as per the rules. He got a very good reception all the way round though.

Online Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2021, 11:30:01 AM »
Holte upper. Some idiots behind me were booing at the taking of a knee but were drowned out by the applause. A few minutes later they are loudly joining in chants about McGrath, Dalian and Ugo.
I despair about some of our “fans”.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2021, 11:37:31 AM »
Holte upper. Some idiots behind me were booing at the taking of a knee but were drowned out by the applause. A few minutes later they are loudly joining in chants about McGrath, Dalian and Ugo.
They will argue they're not racist, they just don't agree with the politcal BLM movement.  They'll obviously ignore the fact that the BLM tag line was dropped some time ago and it's just a gesture to stand up to racism.  They'll point out that they have some black friends.  They'll probably say they'd only kneel for the Queen.  They almost certainly voted for Brexit.  Their knuckles will be scraping the ground when they leave.

Offline placeforparks

• GM : PCM
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2021, 04:36:32 PM »
i like it when they say they're booing the knee because it's marxist, and then talk about 50+1 fan ownership in the next breath....

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2021, 05:51:24 PM »
On a slightly separate note, does anyone know what the plan is for renewing season tickets, for next season?

Offline Holte132

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2021, 06:01:05 PM »
They will argue they're not racist, they just don't agree with the politcal BLM movement.  They'll obviously ignore the fact that the BLM tag line was dropped some time ago and it's just a gesture to stand up to racism.  They'll point out that they have some black friends.  They'll probably say they'd only kneel for the Queen.  They almost certainly voted for Brexit.  Their knuckles will be scraping the ground when they leave.

Do you know my brother? This is the sort of thing he says! Ignores the fact that taking the knee isn't kneeling for someone but is symbolic of what happened to George Floyd

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2021, 12:37:26 PM »
The booing was disappointing, but it is called freedom of speech, if you don't like something you have the right to disagree with it.

That all depends on what you're disagreeing with. I can't imagine for a second and reasonable human being feeling the need to boo players for showing solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement for the persecution and discrimination that people have and do face.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2021, 01:00:16 PM »
I'm pleased to hear that Villa fans are  'beating the Covid' by leaving early. Did people leave their seats to get chips and curry sauce before the end of the first half?*

* I don't know if refreshments were being served.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal