collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:23:57 PM]

Champions League Contention by Smirker
[Today at 11:23:44 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by tomd2103
[Today at 11:22:20 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 11:20:39 PM]

Diego Carlos by Didier Five
[Today at 11:20:09 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 11:19:38 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:00:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dalian Atkinson trial  (Read 22924 times)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: Dalian Atkinson police murder trial
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2021, 12:39:19 PM »
Rest in Peace Dalian

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2021, 12:41:46 PM »
This is why understanding the true meaning of the BLM movement is critical. This is why they kneel. This isn’t an isolated incident. And it’s just that it was seen and proven in court. So many incidents have taken place across so many years where the victims and their families have never received any form of justice. A tragedy that it happened to someone we had an affinity towards. But how about all of those we never knew?

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2021, 12:44:13 PM »
Speaking to a couple of friends of mine that are policemen, it is incredible the number of incidents that they are called to deal with that involve people that have mental health problems.

a benefit of care in the community in which care is starved of the necessary funding because as we all know there is no money tree (unless Serco etc is involved) and we have to pay it back (to whom)...

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2021, 12:53:55 PM »

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2021, 01:08:22 PM »
Shortest prison sentence on record incoming.
I don't think so. I think manslaughter is correct verdict (just as I think it would have been in the Floyd case, at least under UK law parameters), but I think the sentence will be heavy to stop the whitewash arguments.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2021, 01:11:35 PM »
Defund the police.

Online yammers

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2021, 01:14:37 PM »
Defund the police.

And do what exactly?

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2021, 01:17:51 PM »

Offline Hopadop

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
I don't think so. I think manslaughter is correct verdict (just as I think it would have been in the Floyd case, at least under UK law parameters), but I think the sentence will be heavy to stop the whitewash arguments.

Here are the guidelines the judge has to follow

I'd say either High or Medium culpability so starting points of 12 or six years respectively, and up and down from there depending on the aggravating factors and mitigation.

Online dr.chekov

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2021, 01:18:35 PM »
This is why understanding the true meaning of the BLM movement is critical. This is why they kneel. This isn’t an isolated incident. And it’s just that it was seen and proven in court. So many incidents have taken place across so many years where the victims and their families have never received any form of justice. A tragedy that it happened to someone we had an affinity towards. But how about all of those we never knew?

This is the point. I understand why people say taking the knee isn’t political, to counter the right’s claim that it’s orchestrated exclusively by a bunch of Marxists, but it clearly is political. Its aim is to fight not just a bunch of trolls sending racist abuse on social media but the racism faced by black people in their everyday lives, including at the hands of state institutions like police, courts, health service etc. That’s political.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 01:30:25 PM by dr.chekov »

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2021, 01:25:24 PM »

I'd say either High or Medium culpability so starting points of 12 or six years respectively, and up and down from there depending on the aggravating factors and mitigation.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2021, 01:34:41 PM »

Given he's a trained police officer, who used a weapon (a Taser is classed as such) and the aggravating circumstances of going against training and his responsible position, that potentially he was the senior party and his girlfriend was involved, I'd think he could find himself looking at quite a bit of time. No doubt his previously good record will go in his favour.

Offline Hopadop

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2021, 01:37:52 PM »

I stand corrected. Thank you.

Steady on!  FWIW I reckon it'll be a starting point of 10 (for the kicks to the head) and possibly down a bit for (I assume) exemplary character.  But then there's a position of trust...So up and down and back to 10.

The only way it'll be a starting point of six is if the judge accepts he was genuinely in fear but used excessive force.  Hard to see given the evidence but without sitting in court and hearing it all you don't really get the full picture.

Offline Hopadop

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2021, 01:42:03 PM »

Given he's a trained police officer, who used a weapon (a Taser is classed as such) and the aggravating circumstances of going against training and his responsible position, that potentially he was the senior party and his girlfriend was involved, I'd think he could find himself looking at quite a bit of time. No doubt his previously good record will go in his favour.

Yes I think so.  If I was representing him I'd be more concerned about the kicks but it's hard to say without hearing his account about using the taser.  I think at that point he may have been believed, but it's behaviour after that condemned him I'd have thought.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2021, 01:42:47 PM »
However long he gets, I don't imagine his time inside is going to be particularly easy, as an ex-police officer who killed somebody.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal