collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dalian Atkinson trial  (Read 22786 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Dalian Atkinson police murder trial
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2021, 08:46:25 PM »
Unbelievable. Also extremely believable.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/28/dalian-atkinson-killing-officer-was-kept-on-despite-gross-misconduct

your second half of the statement is the most important and it isn't limited to police in the UK. I would put money on it being everywhere. Certainly we have seen situations like that in Canada, it has been proven very common in the US. Cops look after cops and the union hide and shield their members all the time. When you condone the behaviour you embolden the members who form the culture.

Absolute nonsense.  Nobody despises a crooked cop more than cop.  The union you speak of in the UK are powerless and British cops are not considered as employees so do not have the same employee rights that there international counterparts may or may not have.

Although I do accept the notion that there are crooked cops.  A society within a society and you will naturally get some bad eggs.

I think you are naive if you believe that cops don’t look out for their own. It might be a little different in the UK than say the US, but the code or “thin blue line” is a reminder that they have to stand together. Which many of them do. There’s lots of great cops who are afraid to step forward to call out their bent colleagues for fear of recrimination. That’s how the bad cops stay employed.

Online yammers

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2021, 08:53:34 PM »
Unbelievable. Also extremely believable.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/28/dalian-atkinson-killing-officer-was-kept-on-despite-gross-misconduct

your second half of the statement is the most important and it isn't limited to police in the UK. I would put money on it being everywhere. Certainly we have seen situations like that in Canada, it has been proven very common in the US. Cops look after cops and the union hide and shield their members all the time. When you condone the behaviour you embolden the members who form the culture.

Absolute nonsense.  Nobody despises a crooked cop more than cop.  The union you speak of in the UK are powerless and British cops are not considered as employees so do not have the same employee rights that there international counterparts may or may not have.

Although I do accept the notion that there are crooked cops.  A society within a society and you will naturally get some bad eggs.

I think you are naive if you believe that cops don’t look out for their own. It might be a little different in the UK than say the US, but the code or “thin blue line” is a reminder that they have to stand together. Which many of them do. There’s lots of great cops who are afraid to step forward to call out their bent colleagues for fear of recrimination. That’s how the bad cops stay employed.

I know Police officers that have spoken out against colleagues and know plenty that would of had to.
No naivety at all here mate.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2021, 08:57:59 PM »
I think it's naive to make blanket statements either way, some police are scumbags who'd be in prison if they weren't police, some police are happy to protect those guys and some hate them and will happily blow the whistle.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2021, 09:30:14 PM »
Should say I don't think we should defund the police. I think we should spend a lot of money on vetting, crisis aversion, conflict resolution and training how not to be a violent panicky fuckwit.

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »
I expect the belief that the Police look after their own stems that just in the UK in the last few months we have had a trial (that collapsed on a technicality) of the West Mid Police accused of changing evidence and statements of Liverpool supporters whilst investigating if SYP had done anything wrong. We have also just had the study that the Police HAD covered /botched the investigation of the Murder of the PI because they were friends with them or Ex-Cops.

Of course, we also have had the one who took photos of the dead teenagers in the park for their own personal use and the Copper charged and arrested for the rape and murder in London recently. The question here was they were really fast at suspecting the latter so I wonder if more info will come out at his trial of his "behaviour" which if not a copper, might have lead to disciplinary / arrest sooner. I believe there have already been fluttering's already on that side.

So yes, Coppers will happily blow the whistle, the question is how much will they let go before they do.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2021, 10:35:57 PM »
Correct. Nobody is saying that there aren’t good coppers or good coppers (in the end) but that’s exactly it. For some they can turn a blind eye through their entire careers and ultimately become part of the culture where they look after their own. Only a few are brave enough to come out against their colleagues.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2021, 08:49:16 AM »
Is it time to change the title? The trial is over, and he was found guilty of manslaughter.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2021, 11:04:58 AM »
Is it time to change the title? The trial is over, and he was found guilty of manslaughter.
What title would you like to suggest?

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2021, 02:33:57 PM »
Eight years.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2021, 02:38:05 PM »
What a sodding disgrace.

He’ll be out in four years.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2021, 02:41:35 PM »
I'd imagine the Sentencing Remarks will be uploaded given the public interest in the case.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2021, 02:47:31 PM »

A few bad eggs? The Met were described as institutionally corrupt on a few weeks ago. And Cressida Dick was personally criticised for obstructing an investigation. Seems to me like more than just a few bad eggs

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2021, 02:49:40 PM »
He's going to have a seriously shit time in there.

A copper who killed someone. There will be many people who will want to see him harmed that's for sure. Not that I'm advocating violence of course.

Online yammers

« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2021, 02:49:57 PM »

A few bad eggs? The Met were described as institutionally corrupt on a few weeks ago. And Cressida Dick was personally criticised for obstructing an investigation. Seems to me like more than just a few bad eggs

So every single Met Police Officer is corrupt?? Good grief….

Online yammers

« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2021, 02:53:21 PM »
Believe it or not 8 years for manslaughter is a good sentence in the UK.  You only have to scan the news for some shocking low 3 and 4 year sentences for really violent offences.
Today’s should have been double figures.

Sentencing guidelines here really do need looking at.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal