collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 01:34:31 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:33:31 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:42:47 AM]

Villa - Arsenal 89-90 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:33 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Ads
[April 28, 2024, 11:47:33 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[April 28, 2024, 11:19:47 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Axl Rose
[April 28, 2024, 11:15:52 PM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[April 28, 2024, 11:09:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stefan Moore Article  (Read 3815 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Stefan Moore Article
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 07:46:06 PM »
He's got a younger son and his name is Kobei Moore, Kobei Moore, Kobei Moore, he's got an older uncle and his name is Luke Moore, Luke Moore, Luke Moore, he's got an older brother and his name is Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore, he's got a younger son and his name is Kobei Moore etc....

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 07:46:22 PM »
Is there anyone who has a good word to say about O'Leary?

David O'Leary.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 08:03:09 PM »
Is there anyone who has a good word to say about O'Leary?

David O'Leary.
I almost put that with the question. That Jack Charlton documentary gave an insight as well.

It was slightly ironic that O'Leary held the younger players back but had to rely on some of them in the last few games of his time at Villa - Ridgewell, Cahill, Davis etc.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 08:17:16 PM »
Never thought I'd ever type this on H&V but in defence of O'Leary....

He managed that crop at Leeds 4-5 years before. Woodgate, Harte, Alan Smith, Paul Robinson and a few more. Whether they all fulfilled their potential or not they pushed Leeds into regular european competition and some of them got many caps and played at World cups for their country.

So probably when he came here he was a bit underwhelmed by what he saw from some of the younger ones being hyped up. He still played likes of Ridgewell regularly and Samuel would've still been classed as a young and promising player and he was excellent in 03/04. Davis and Luke Moore also got plenty of minutes under him between 04/06, was more O'Neill who froze both out. Gave Cahill and Gabby their first starts....

That's probably me banned for the next 3 months now!

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 08:31:49 PM »
Was it a combination of injuries and Doug not wanting to spend money which led him using the younger players? Ridgewell in particular probably wouldn't have played so much had Martin Laursen been fit.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2021, 08:33:57 PM »
I was excited about the Moore brothers, but it just didn't click for them. Probably both Stefan and Luke had more ability than Agbonlahor and Vassell (just comparing them to other forwards who came through our youth setup)

They always looked a bit lazy, maybe it was just their style, there's plenty of players that come across like that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2021, 08:58:46 PM »
Was it a combination of injuries and Doug not wanting to spend money which led him using the younger players? Ridgewell in particular probably wouldn't have played so much had Martin Laursen been fit.

Yeah for half of 04/05 we actually played Delaney as a CB IIRC as we lost Laursen to the first of his injuries very early on in the season and Delaney stayed fit for 3-4 months which was pretty good for him and was steady enough. Then he inevitably got injured and Ridgewell got in.

Cahill was on season long loan at Burnley at the time so a rare one in those times we loaned out from our youths and that pushed him on nicely for the next season.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 01:59:45 AM »
"David O'Leary hasn't got a bad word to say about David O'Leary"...

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 07:52:14 AM »
Kevin McDonald seems quite a marmite character aswell. Considering what's come out about the bullying culture in recent years yet Stefan isn't the first of the youth players that came through in 2000s to speak more warmly about him.

He's actually got a chapter in this book that I read a few months back and some interesting forgotten names in that:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45023185-the-next-big-thing

Luke of the two should've had a much better career. He was looking good for us around the 2006 period then bust his shoulder and MON went completely cold on him when he came back so bit like Stefan and O'Leary by sounds of it. Also read a rare interview with Luke Moore a Swansea journalist did and think of the two Stefan enjoyed the game far more and both lacked the real desire to truly stay at top level.

It's interesting looking back at that 2002-04 period. Think as a club we got a bit carried away by the youth successes thinking it would be just like Man. United a decade before with half of them becoming excellent prem players but it never really happened.

Don't think Wayne Henderson ever made an appearence for us (saw him and his Wife in Four Oaks the other week), actually thought Rob Edwards looked o.k in a few games in 02/03 but he got injured and then left for Wolves, Ridgewell was very error prone for us but had a solid prem career and helped us out a few times....Davis had a really good career in fairness.

Stephen Cooke was another being hyped massively on here at the time but he barely made a dent in senior football. Whether you like him or not Gabby probably made the best career out of that crop.

Actually thought the 2009/10 lot had more potential. Bannan, Albrighton,Wiemann and Fonz all showed big potential early on but none of them really kicked on. As much as there's regret with what Albrighton has gone on to achieve at Leicester, he wasn't that great for us between 11/12 and 12/13 so wasn't too fussed when he left. Very unlucky not to play for England during their title season.

Isn't half hard to judge if a young player will make it sometimes. Ramsey has a bit about him certainly but how good I don't know and time will tell how we develop all the ones who played in the cup v Liverpool as some will need loans sooner or later rather than just playing under 23 games all the time so we need to be better as a club at doing that than in last 20 years.

Who were the best youth players who never made it for us for one reason or another? It's a tough unforgiving trade let's be honest. A poor 12-18 months and it can take its toll on a young players career. Take someone like Andre Green, starting in a playoff semi, didn't he come on in the final? And then effectively unemployed about a year later after a number of unsuccessful loan spells. I remember when he came through first under Bruce on the left wing scoring goals, certainly looked a player with real potential.

The likes of Bannan and Weimann have had solid careers in the second tier, maybe found their level.

Think the two that I’d pick out from watching in the reserves and thinking they would be stars of the future but didn’t really kick on were Breitkreutz who starred in a different 7 goal smashing of Liverpool and John McGrath who I was convinced was going to be a top left wing back.

Gary Gardner was also miles above his level but at that time he had a bit of a turn of pace that I think went with all his injuries

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 09:23:28 AM »
I think lots of people had really high hopes for Delfouneso as well. Banged them in for our youth teams, and various levels of England youth teams, but now at the age of 30 has scored the grand total of 47 league goals in 10 years, for mainly lower league teams.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 10:10:20 AM »
He's got a younger son and his name is Kobei Moore, Kobei Moore, Kobei Moore, he's got an older uncle and his name is Luke Moore, Luke Moore, Luke Moore, he's got an older brother and his name is Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore, he's got a younger son and his name is Kobei Moore etc....
Potential for a classic right there

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 10:16:56 AM »
Think the two that I’d pick out from watching in the reserves and thinking they would be stars of the future but didn’t really kick on were Breitkreutz who starred in a different 7 goal smashing of Liverpool and John McGrath who I was convinced was going to be a top left wing back.

Gary Gardner was also miles above his level but at that time he had a bit of a turn of pace that I think went with all his injuries
Thought Breikreutz had a reasonably decent career in the Bundesliga, mostly playing in the top division there (albeit for a so-so team).  Stefan Beinlich came along with him as well, didn't he?  He turned out to be a pretty reasonable striker eventually.  Weird that we let both of those go as cheaply as we did.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 11:14:31 AM by algy »

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
I remember Breikreutz and Beinlich as both being very good technically, and good at set pieces. I didnt really understand why we let them go  - maybe it was too difficult to spell their names for the teamsheet?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2021, 10:52:06 AM »
Beinlich was forced to leave as his mullet and tache combo was simply unacceptable in the early 1990's.   

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 10:58:18 AM »
That makes sense now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal