collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1108973 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #5520 on: July 28, 2021, 07:37:50 PM »
Who's the right defensive midfielder?

That's the important question. There's 4-5 I rate (and Pape Sarr who I'd never heard of but who looks like exactly what we want). The problem is that I'm not sure the club are particularly looking for one.

Koopmeiners would be my first choice now that Engels has left because he's played centre back as much as DM (he's also a superb penalty taker and very good free kick taker). He's been linked with Leeds and Arsenal so is definitely one that we could get if we want to.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #5521 on: July 28, 2021, 08:15:35 PM »
Seb Revan to Grimsby on loan for the season.  Good news for me, we have lacked in our attitude towards loans, and I feel this had negatively impacted our youth development.  Good luck Seb!

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #5522 on: July 28, 2021, 08:22:13 PM »
Seb Revan to Grimsby on loan for the season.  Good news for me, we have lacked in our attitude towards loans, and I feel this had negatively impacted our youth development.  Good luck Seb!
Agree - think it can only be a good thing

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5523 on: July 28, 2021, 08:31:03 PM »

Indeed. That's Revan the Younger, I think he's only 17.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5524 on: July 28, 2021, 09:08:50 PM »
Defensive midfielder - the next Kante/Nididi. Nakamba has shown the defensive nous at times but has proven to be inconsistent and he's not good enough technically. His questionable passing skills led to a goal towards the end of the season, think it was away at Spurs. Luiz was excellent after the first lockdown and again at the start of last season but didn't look the same player after a point in the season. He looked great away at West Ham but I don't remember him doing much after that.

It's pretty clear that the clubs are going to get players out on loan to help with their development. Hopefully some of them will come back and be ready to break into the first team, or at least have market value.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5525 on: July 28, 2021, 09:21:57 PM »
I'm sure I read that Nakamba has some of the best defensive stats in the league.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #5526 on: July 28, 2021, 09:26:33 PM »
I'm sure I read that Nakamba has some of the best defensive stats in the league.

He does, he is a good player. Gueye had similar stats, went to Everton and ended up at PSG! Think we should keep him, play Luiz higher up the pitch and get someone younger in too like Pape Sar who seems to be the type of player we need and could compete with Nakamba.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5527 on: July 28, 2021, 09:36:05 PM »
We've got a balancing act of making ourselves more competitive but also not making signings that block the pathways of players we think have a real chance of breaking through. This might be one of those cases. Bogarde, Raikhy or Lindley could develop into the player for that position but if we spent big money on a 22/23 year old, those kids would probably end up leaving to find first team football. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #5528 on: July 28, 2021, 09:48:29 PM »
Think with a potential front 4 of Watkins, Grealish, Emi and Bailey, we'd spend a good chunk of time in the attacking third of the pitch, which would aid the defensive side of things further.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #5529 on: July 28, 2021, 10:30:03 PM »

I think he was somewhere around 5th or 6th. From memory.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #5530 on: July 28, 2021, 11:01:41 PM »
Keep Jack and add Bailey and Buendia to the mix and we will make and score a lot of chances next season.

We already have one of the best defensive units going, and have better back up at fullback now too.

The main weakness then is the middle of the park, where we are still quite lightweight with the exception of Nakamba. Would like to see a more combative midfielder come in. That and the lack of cover for Ollie, but could be that Traore does that for us.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #5531 on: July 28, 2021, 11:23:32 PM »
Alvarez looked a good fit as cover for Ollie to be fair at a decent price.

Berge in midfield was heavily linked before the season ended, wonder if he's still on our radar.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5532 on: July 29, 2021, 12:08:54 AM »

He's such a confusing player.

He clearly can do it - I have seen him sometimes look absolutely immaculate, just doing his job effectively, not putting a foot wrong. But I've also seen him look like me trying to play.

AEG is another one. We've quite a few players who are capable of putting in really good quality performances but also absolute stinkers.

The trick is to not find ourselves overly reliant on them and to work on them in the background to improve them.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #5533 on: July 29, 2021, 07:01:20 AM »
I think Luiz and to a lesser extent McGinn sit in that category too, which then poses a problem if your midfield doesn't contain a solid 8/10 every week and 7 when they have a bad day type. We have seen the influence a Fernandinho, Kante type can have. I really think that is the big gap to fill in our side to push us on. With or without Jack.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal