collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1109039 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #690 on: April 29, 2021, 11:54:33 AM »
Maybe if we were in Europe or had a manager who rotates. The wing and midfield is in more pressing need of guaranteed starters to come in and replace the current incumbents.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #691 on: April 29, 2021, 11:57:38 AM »
Can Tammy really play on the wing? Ollie sure, but I don't know if Tammy has ever looked comfortable as anything other than a no. 9.

He says on the wing is his preferred position but at £40m I think there is better out there, the only question is can we attract them as competition will be strong. Donyell Malen at PSV looks ideal; 22 years old, strong, technically gifted, mobile and knows where the back of the net is. We talk about giving teams something else to worry about other than Jack, he's a real handful and looks the real deal.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #692 on: April 29, 2021, 12:05:44 PM »
I think Abraham would suit us for a couple of years and then the plan will be to move to bigger and better things.

We don't need to replace Watkins but heaven forbid he were to get injured......

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #693 on: April 29, 2021, 12:09:37 PM »
Personally I think £40 million sounds like a considerable part of the transfer budget and probably overpriced. However, I balance that with Tammy knowing both the club and the league, as well as having a good relationship with our main attacking threat in Jack. In an ideal world, you'd sign someone from Ligue 2 for fifty grand who doesn't know the meaning of the word sitter, but our dealings with Samatta and Wesley show that you can pay anything and still not really be guaranteed goals.

For £40 million, in this transfer market, Abraham is as good as you can get for at least ten or fifteen of your goals a season. My only caveat would be to sort the midfield and the wings first before you bet the farm.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #694 on: April 29, 2021, 12:09:55 PM »
But if Tammy came, both he and Watkins would be starting. Neither would put-up with being benched. So one would have to be moved out wide or we play two up top.

But Dean seems set on the current formation; with no Europe we play about 40-42 games a season (shit run in the FA cup, decent one in the Carabao) with a manager who doesn't overly-rotate. I can't see us having two "name" forwards. Keeping Wesley and Davis in reserve seems more logical if a little uninspiring.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #695 on: April 29, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »
I think Abraham would suit us for a couple of years and then the plan will be to move to bigger and better things.

We don't need to replace Watkins but heaven forbid he were to get injured......

Yeah, I'm down with that. At the moment we have two players who we absolutely can't do without... Grealish and Watkins. Abraham would make us more likely to score, and would make us less vulnerable to having a season fall apart if one of the irreplaceables gets injured, as happened this year.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #696 on: April 29, 2021, 12:34:24 PM »
Can Tammy really play on the wing? Ollie sure, but I don't know if Tammy has ever looked comfortable as anything other than a no. 9.

He says on the wing is his preferred position but at £40m I think there is better out there, the only question is can we attract them as competition will be strong. Donyell Malen at PSV looks ideal; 22 years old, strong, technically gifted, mobile and knows where the back of the net is. We talk about giving teams something else to worry about other than Jack, he's a real handful and looks the real deal.

He says he prefers the wing but that's quite the same as him being good enough out there. I'm with Monty I just don't see him doing it.

I agree on Malen, he looks to have absolutely everything you want in a forward who can also play wide and deep, I mentioned him a month or so back as one of the 3 I'd look closely at this summer. Gouiri and Thuram are the other 2, all have different strengths but they can play central or wide and would give us extra flexibility and quality.

Add a Bissouma/Berge/similar as well and that would be the 2 big signings done for me and the other couple of options to look at could be much cheaper as options to develop over a couple of years, I'd pay attention to the U21 euros for that.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #697 on: April 29, 2021, 12:51:06 PM »
But if Tammy came, both he and Watkins would be starting. Neither would put-up with being benched. So one would have to be moved out wide or we play two up top.

They don't both need to start every game.  We need to get away from that type of thinking, we need options.  They could easily play together in a variety of formations, but if we're looking for top 4-6 then we need a squad and players who can be rotated / rested as needed.  Anyhow, I think Ollie could be very good playing from the left in a Mane / Salah type role.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #698 on: April 29, 2021, 12:52:24 PM »

They don't both need to start every game.  We need to get away from that type of thinking, we need options.  They could easily play together in a variety of formations, but if we're looking for top 4-6 then we need a squad and players who can be rotated / rested as needed.  Anyhow, I think Ollie could be very good playing from the left in a Mane / Salah type role.

If we're spending £40m he'd better start every game, as that's money we need to spend on improving the first team.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #699 on: April 29, 2021, 12:56:14 PM »
Agreed, Paul_e. That's the type of quality we should be looking to bring in. Who was the Norwegian player you were banging on about recently, was there somebody else other than Berge?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #700 on: April 29, 2021, 12:57:02 PM »
Get him. £40, scores goals at this level. 2 players capable of 15 a season and the right age.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #701 on: April 29, 2021, 12:57:19 PM »

He says he prefers the wing but that's quite the same as him being good enough out there. I'm with Monty I just don't see him doing it.

I agree on Malen, he looks to have absolutely everything you want in a forward who can also play wide and deep, I mentioned him a month or so back as one of the 3 I'd look closely at this summer. Gouiri and Thuram are the other 2, all have different strengths but they can play central or wide and would give us extra flexibility and quality.

Add a Bissouma/Berge/similar as well and that would be the 2 big signings done for me and the other couple of options to look at could be much cheaper as options to develop over a couple of years, I'd pay attention to the U21 euros for that.

Abraham said he prefers the wing? Where's that from?

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #702 on: April 29, 2021, 01:02:22 PM »
We need a player that can feed Watkins if Grealish is out, he will get plenty of goals with a good supply. Why get Tammy and play him on a wing we already have three players wingers who are not capable.

Online curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #703 on: April 29, 2021, 01:02:56 PM »
Not that I'm advocating spending money for the sake of it, but I've just been reading a little bit about that Van Der Beek at United, who barely plays and cost £35 million. I suppose my point would be that it doesn't really matter the cost if the player is useful, and judged on those terms £40 million for Abraham is a no-brainer.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #704 on: April 29, 2021, 01:07:06 PM »
I really hope Smith starts Davis against Everton, mainly because I want to see how Watkins does playing slightly wider. He's such a good player I don't think it would lessen his attacking ability very much. If that looks like it works, then Tammy might work playing the 9 role with Grealish on one side and Watkins on the other. I still think there'd be better value out there though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal