collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0 Spuds 2 Post Match Thread  (Read 14073 times)

Offline LukeJames

Re: Aston Villa 0 Spuds 2 Post Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2021, 09:49:28 PM »
This is a Dean Smith team without Grealish, its happened multiple times before. Boring, slow, predictable, lethargic.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 09:50:04 PM »
When our plan B is Keinan Davis we are up shit street.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 09:50:09 PM »
Felt we were pretty decent for the most part. Just not the crucial part, the final third.

Delivery so-so, Watkins isolated and just a bit blunt across the line.

The wingers are really out of form, but Trez for me just isn't good enough. I was surprised to see a change of shape, but I've been advocating a diamond and think we'd be no worse off from trying it.

We've not been as fluid post COVID, even with Jack, as we were before. There are a couple of reasons, but a big one is what Neville touched on; the pool of quality isn't there to change things dramatically.

We are certainly reliant on Jack, absolutely. But Tottenham look entirely reliant on Kane.

The difference tonight, was we made two bad mistakes. Martinez clearance and we're out of shape and Kane and Moura link. Then Kane buys a cheap penalty and suddenly Spurs have some confidence and the game is dead.

In a real funk of form now, particularly up top. It seems unlikely that Davis, Trez or the way Barkely has fallen away, are going to be answers. Traore and El Ghazi nowhere near consistent enough.

Luiz has gone off the boil too, but that's the lot of a young player I suspect. A world beater earlier in the season with panic that Man City are swooping, to some very indifferent form now.

I have to say too that I think there's a real dramatic overreaction and a compulsion to catastrophise things on here at times.
I agree about the wingers and Luiz and the reliance on Grealish.

I don't agree we were decent though. No shot in the first half when Spurs were finding their feet and we had no fight or spirit once we went two down.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2021, 09:50:37 PM »
Not as good as we'd hoped. We'll have a great player back next up.

The difference was that they had more quality around the pitch.

We need more quality in the squad. Another £100m on the front line will help...

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2021, 09:51:02 PM »
The plan B is Davies, we looked to have made a mistake on not bringing in more attacking options and so it’s proved.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2021, 09:51:42 PM »
1 point from losing positions all season. The referee could have blown the full time whistle after 29 minutes.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2021, 09:52:10 PM »
The Newcastle fans are up in arms over Bruce at the moment, but lets be honest - we're no better than them at the moment.
No. Sorry to disagree but that is totally wrong. We are vastly better then Newcastle

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2021, 09:52:32 PM »
I cannot fathom how they finished the fitter and stronger it was them that played 120 minutes on Thursday not us.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2021, 09:52:44 PM »
Work to be done in the summer. That was another tepid performance and we’ve no answer. Says everything about our quality to push on.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2021, 09:52:54 PM »
Once Martinez gave them the goal it was all over.
What does Samson actually bring to the team, nothing as far as I can see.
Same formation, same like for like and subs same results.
We have won 4 in 25 without Jack which tells you we would be relegated without him.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2021, 09:52:55 PM »
The Newcastle fans are up in arms over Bruce at the moment, but lets be honest - we're no better than them at the moment.
No. Sorry to disagree but that is totally wrong. We are vastly better then Newcastle

Without Grealish were not.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2021, 09:53:19 PM »
The way I see it is that management and players think they have done the job for this season and, are thinking of somewhere exotic to go for their holibobs. Big chance missed in January in getting another striker in. I agree with others that we do not have the players for 4-3-3 which looks at times to be more of a 4-5-1. We ain’t going to score many playing as we are just now.
I’m grateful we had such a good start to the season as can’t see us getting more than another 6 points with the play/lack of passion we are doing just now. I used to love putting us down for a win, against any opponent but, sadly have gone for losses in the last 6 matches and, the lads have unfortunately proved me right a good majority of the time. The defeat against the Blades seems to have been the last straw for most of our players. For half of this season I honestly thought the mighty Villa were going for top 6 but, now looking to finish about 12th.
Shame really.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 09:53:57 PM »
without Grealish?

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2021, 09:54:00 PM »
Really disappointed every time there's a sniff of top 6 we get a nose bleed.  I know after all the dark years we should be happy with mid table mediocrity but we need a European spot to keep Grealish happy. I looked at the spurs team sheet and thought these are poor, and for much of the first half it seemed that way.
Konsa outstanding all game.
Cash and McGinn were playing well in the first half.

Just seem to have a big problem with the troublesome number 8 jersey no one seemsbe able to play that role. Morgan Sansom was very poor tonight even during our best spells in the first half.  I think he will come good like Target and luiz after he's had 40 games under his belt, however Id rather these guys learned their trade somewhere else and came to Villa the finished article

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2021, 09:54:29 PM »
I cannot fathom how they finished the fitter and stronger it was them that played 120 minutes on Thursday not us.

Made7 changes and had a point to prove. We look to be coasting our way to May.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal