collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Bringing the League Cup back 1975  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Bringing the League Cup back 1975
« on: March 15, 2021, 10:35:23 PM »

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
Re: Bringing the League Cup back 1975
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 11:34:02 AM »
My first Wembley experience. Brilliant atmosphere

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 06:50:02 PM »
Bloody hell Cumbes caught the trophy.  ha ha

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 12:06:33 AM »
If not for his saves we would never have reached the final, especially his late save in the Crewe replay when the score was goalless.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2021, 04:27:54 PM »
great fella, but not the safest with his hands imo. 

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 07:36:28 PM »
He had one hell of a kick from the edge of his area. They didn't record assists back then.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 07:43:58 PM »

Ha! Gary Sprake was at the Rags at the same time. I think both keepers threw the ball into their own net at least once. I remember Jimmy making a really bad error against the Albion but can't remember the details.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 08:15:41 PM »

Ha! Gary Sprake was at the Rags at the same time. I think both keepers threw the ball into their own net at least once. I remember Jimmy making a really bad error against the Albion but can't remember the details.

Mark, you may be thinking of an error he made in the Albion game in the March to promotion in 1975. We scored 3 goals in 10 minutes in the second half to win 3-1 so no long term damage. But 6 months later John Burridge arrived....

Offline steamer

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2021, 11:15:15 PM »
I need to check my facts as I am not sure where the " butter fingers " reputation came from
As an aside
Along with a few other posters/readers on this site, after the first European away game trip to Royal Antwerp we stumbled into a bar in the early/late hours of the morning.
In my Memory (I was pissed) Gidman, Morgan, Cumbes, Philips , + others. After  introduction s, raising of glasses and general banter Sammy announced, I have fucked up, not sure his exact words, most goalies in the league and if cumbes plays like that again I will fuck him up too
Drinks all around

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 12:25:25 PM »
I need to check my facts as I am not sure where the " butter fingers " reputation came from
As an aside
Along with a few other posters/readers on this site, after the first European away game trip to Royal Antwerp we stumbled into a bar in the early/late hours of the morning.
In my Memory (I was pissed) Gidman, Morgan, Cumbes, Philips , + others. After  introduction s, raising of glasses and general banter Sammy announced, I have fucked up, not sure his exact words, most goalies in the league and if cumbes plays like that again I will fuck him up too
Drinks all around

Yeah we must of met in that bar that night Steamer but just like yourself I was very intoxicated with all the drinks bought for our group by the local Antwerp fans. Remember chatting to Giddy and Sammy (with those extremely thick glasses, or am I imagining the spectacles) Great trip apart from the result

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 11:15:08 PM »
Sammy did wear glasses off the pitch.

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
Sammy did wear glasses off the pitch.

He had an operation for stomach cancer a few years back.
Anybody know how he is these days ?

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 12:01:47 PM »

Mark, you may be thinking of an error he made in the Albion game in the March to promotion in 1975. We scored 3 goals in 10 minutes in the second half to win 3-1 so no long term damage. But 6 months later John Burridge arrived....

The season before that one, he also let in a really soft one through his hands against the Albion at the Hawthorns.  On the whole though, he was a decent enough keeper for us in two promotions.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
As an aside
Drinks all around
You were pissed? Never......  I remember all those players as mentioned in that bar too. Despite Sammy's "threat", he and Jimmy seemed good mates, pouring beers over each other's heads etc... All of the players were friendly and up for a chat with the fans, apart from Frank Pimblett who came over as a miserable sod.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal