collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Barcodes-1 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread  (Read 14887 times)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Barcodes-1 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2021, 10:17:56 PM »
Dean needs to think about changing the tactics when Jack isn’t fit. AEG in particular, but also Trez offer so little so much of the time that two wingers is a waste. Also we have no one driving from the midfield so look incredibly disjointed.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2021, 10:18:08 PM »
Hard to take Twice in one day i watch a villa team concede in the 95th minute and its not the first time we have conceded so bloody late

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2021, 10:18:10 PM »
El Ghazi just needed to roll the ball into either corner late on for 2-0, but doesn't and they equalise. El Ghazi, Trez and Traore are all Championship players.

Konsa MOTM, he rarely puts a foot wrong. We'll do well to keep him next season if the season continues to go down the plug hole.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
More ammunition for the so-called pundits to keep rolling out the “shite without Jack” phrase.... and it’s true.
Mings was run ragged by Joelinton tonight, and possibly Ollie’s worst performance in a villa shirt. I love his attitude and work rate, but we need goals. You can only blame luck for so long.... Should have put it to bed when through at 1-0.
I think he’ll eventually be a winger for us.
Gutted we didn’t get the 3pts, but to be honest they deserved the points more than us.

Is this the new ‘why didn’t Barry etc?

He was offside.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2021, 10:19:41 PM »
Anwar basically gave the ball away every time he got it - he had one of his really bad nights.

He actually started ok but was abysmal in the second half. Wanted to come off after we made three subs. Embarrassing

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:09 PM »
Rubbish.

Any Newcastle fan - or fan of any other persuasion for that matter - will wonder how this side can be spoken about as European contenders.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:25 PM »
Anwar basically gave the ball away every time he got it - he had one of his really bad nights.

Which other than last December has been the storey of his career at VP. Ditto Trez. So poor the pair of them. Also McGinn isn’t good enough. Frustrating to concede so late but didn’t deserve to win

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:44 PM »
Pretty poor all round. Target and Konsa played well. The rest 5/6 out of 10 at best. Barkley and Sanson both poor when they came on, Ollie anonymous, McGinn poor, Trez and AEG totally ineffective against a poor a side as there is.

Season petering out now.

Offline ParkerG

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2021, 10:20:54 PM »
Why of why did El Ghazi not just boot the ball up field, so naive. How many times do we make basic errors and what is it with Mings, one game he looks solid, barking out the orders, the next he plays like he has had 1 hour sleep the night before. is in a daze. Really painful watching, at least that kills the talk about European football!

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2021, 10:21:15 PM »
Defensively sound, bar the last kick of the game. Elmo is fouled as the ball comes across, but McGinn doesn't close, there's no pressure on the header either.

Every other chance, and there was barely any, we created for them with some unenforced errors.

The real issue is how poor we have been attack wise. I think the issue stems from a predictability. Personnel change but the means and formation does not. While the attack in itself is designed to be flexible, the consistent approach with it has been too easily countered.

We seem incapable of penetrating a low block. Cash and Grealish certainly help, but the wide men come inside and the full backs deliver, Ollie plays off the shoulder. We try and turn defences with quick ball.

Only those transitions are slower at the moment and facing sides 10 yards deeper.

I think part of the problem is Watkins. His touch was very poor tonight and while a willing runner, he was dominated physically. A spell outwide, with a central strike partner or on the bench might help, but there aren't a great deal of options and there won't be till the summer.

The other issue is the widemen. I think Trezeguet has come up way short this season. El Ghazi and Traore flicker between unplayable and ineffective, as seems to be the lot of a winger. Either way, the delivery for weeks hasn't been there.

Cash and Targett are so important to the way we play and I am very disappointed to see Cash watch from the bench as a poor Championship player in Elmo really lowers the quality of us in every aspect, play instead. Cash should have started.

Grealish improves us no end but I feel we've not been right even with him in the side. A different means of attack is needed.

Back to the game, we ought to have held out against a limited Newcastle side who are certainly circling the bowl and will be flushed at some point. We don't often throw points away, but the two games we have are head scratchers.

Ramsey was was wrong choice and I think combined with Elmo set out a conservatism that the opposition did not warrant.

Mings seemed to get involved needlessly with a frankly risible player in Joelinton. He lost the first contact and seemed to be on a mission to prove something.

For me I'd go with a diamond for a few games, with or without Jack and flood central areas. Ultimately the width comes from the full backs, but its about.committing runners to different spaces.

Each season seems to be typified by these poor runs. We see growth here that we are still capable of picking up points.

COVID stepped into save us and has seemingly stepped in to.nudge us over. In context, this is the best season in well over a decade. Quite remarkable that gone is the need to be sanguine, but actually to challenge convention and want us to push for more, but in the much warmer embrace of being a top half team.

Something will click one game, be it a Neil Diamond song, a pandemic or whatever and then the funny run ends and a stranger more successful one begins. But that was a tough watch. I've seen tougher mind. This is the first Premier League season of my working life where there has never been a post it note of scribble containing where the points will come from to keep us up.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2021, 10:21:28 PM »
More ammunition for the so-called pundits to keep rolling out the “shite without Jack” phrase.... and it’s true.
Mings was run ragged by Joelinton tonight, and possibly Ollie’s worst performance in a villa shirt. I love his attitude and work rate, but we need goals. You can only blame luck for so long.... Should have put it to bed when through at 1-0.
I think he’ll eventually be a winger for us.
Gutted we didn’t get the 3pts, but to be honest they deserved the points more than us.

No they didn't. They were equally as bad as us.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2021, 10:21:32 PM »
Konsa, Martinez and perhaps Targett ok, rest garbage.

They look like they're already on the beach. Shame 'cause we could have had European football with a few better performances.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2021, 10:21:50 PM »
Hard to take Twice in one day i watch a villa team concede in the 95th minute and its not the first time we have conceded so bloody late

So when was the last time this season?

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2021, 10:22:00 PM »
Team is just going through a slump in form. It happens at some point in a season. Some over reaction as usual.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2021, 10:22:12 PM »
Just feel empty. We have been shell of the side we saw before Christmas for weeks now. Including Jack. Obviously much worse without him. We didn’t deserve to win but I’d have taken it. But fuck me what a punch in the bollocks that was

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal