collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by N'ZMAV
[Today at 06:46:14 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 06:43:21 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by London Villan
[Today at 06:35:55 AM]

Re: Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Rigadon
[Today at 06:26:28 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:15:07 AM]

Re: Jacob Ramsey by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 05:46:28 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by villabear
[Today at 04:37:35 AM]

Re: Championship Memories by Rory
[Today at 04:07:17 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are fans in grounds necessary for elite football?  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Are fans in grounds necessary for elite football?
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2021, 05:15:52 PM »
I’ve enjoyed watching football through this lockdown. I’ve been furloughed and home schooling so it’s been a welcome distraction. Normally I’d only ever watch a Villa match and nothing else would ever interest me at all. I hate the fake crowd but as I’ve watched all the matches illegally I have had no choice so just turn it down.

Football needs crowds though, it’s not the same at all. I’d really feel sorry for any attending supporter who gives up their time and money though as I really think VAR and the rule changes we’ve had would spoil it even more than it does while at home.

As regards the TV companies, they don’t really care much for the crowds, I think they quite like having matches at all times of the day and all the games played at different times.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2021, 05:25:20 PM »
Hope that when fans can get back into the stadiums and there is a return to “real atmosphere” a “no commentator or pundit” button can be added to matches shown on TV, some of the drivel that these so called experts go on about really boils my piss

Offline Allan C

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 05:52:26 PM »
Nothing will ever beat being down Villa Park but I have to admit I’ve enjoyed the crowdless televised games. Like many others I prefer the fake crowd noise off and like listening to the players particularly Mings. I guess the real point is how the players feel playing in their equivalent of Perry Barr park on a Sunday morning. To be honest I haven't noticed them playing any worse without us being there

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2021, 05:54:46 PM »
What do you mean by necessary?
To survive, to be viable, to be an attractive product for TV.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2021, 06:11:52 PM »
Watching football on TV is absolutely shite. Crowdless games are total wank.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2021, 06:13:51 PM »
I miss the 'zoom ins' on a nice bit of totty. Especially if the match is crap.  :)

Sweden v Brazil in a world cup group game where they both qualify for the knockout stage if its a draw.

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2021, 06:15:38 PM »
I haven’t even thought of that!

Starting tomorrow, I’ll get everyone else in the house to leave ten minutes before half time and come back in the room about five minutes into the second half.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2021, 06:16:37 PM »
As someone who can't get to as many games as I'd like, this has been as good an opportunity as I've had to watch every match. There can't be many people who've watched every game home and away live. It's good to actually see matches as they happen, but shit regarding atmosphere. Plus, although I didn't get to a lot of games, I miss it. Nothing like a good sing-song and a couple of beers at a match too.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2021, 06:17:36 PM »
I haven’t even thought of that!

Starting tomorrow, I’ll get everyone else in the house to leave ten minutes before half time and come back in the room about five minutes into the second half.

But they must walk in front of the screen for it to be an authentic match day experience

Offline exigo

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2021, 06:30:57 PM »
Hope that when fans can get back into the stadiums and there is a return to “real atmosphere” a “no commentator or pundit” button can be added to matches shown on TV, some of the drivel that these so called experts go on about really boils my piss

I will be smashing down the gates to Villa Park very soon if I have to listen to any more Glenn F***ing Hoddle.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2021, 06:49:11 PM »
I don't mind the no crowd matches, except when it is on a channel that doesn't allow you to turn the shit pretend crowd noise off. I like hearing all the moaning and swearing.

Ha! Don't forget the number of commentator apologies, that's quite amusing too.  I'm actually surprised there's not more of it picked up.

The commentator apologies are annoying. Just do a warning before the match starts and leave it at that. If they've really got that much of a problem, make the viewer put in an access code at the start of the game.

Good idea, but make the code "CUNT".

Online CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2021, 06:51:19 PM »
I don't mind the no crowd matches, except when it is on a channel that doesn't allow you to turn the shit pretend crowd noise off. I like hearing all the moaning and swearing.

Ha! Don't forget the number of commentator apologies, that's quite amusing too.  I'm actually surprised there's not more of it picked up.

The commentator apologies are annoying. Just do a warning before the match starts and leave it at that. If they've really got that much of a problem, make the viewer put in an access code at the start of the game.

Our apologies if you’ve read any industrial language there.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2021, 06:53:55 PM »

Our apologies if you’ve read any industrial language there.

'Army language' my mother used to call it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 07:50:59 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2021, 07:50:09 AM »
I tend to swich the TV off at 85 minutes so I can beat the rush to the kettle to make tea.
Ah yes, 'beating the graphics'. Avoiding all the tedious computer-aided post-match 'analysis'.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2021, 08:37:50 AM »
Matches without crowds only exist because of the unique circumstances we find ourselves in. As soon as crowds are allowed back the clubs will welcome them and people will go. Possible consequences from this situation are more televised games including at 3 on Saturday, individual clubs bidding for TV rights (which would be a disaster),  maybe playing games overseas might gain some traction (although this is a long shot I think)

In terms of me personally, the way I watch football has completely changed. In a "normal" season I would attend around 10 matches, watch us at the pub when we were on TV  (maybe another 10) and for the remainder, 3 pm Saturday kick offs for example, I'd happily follow it online or watching final score or the like. Post lockdown I have watched every single match barring a couple. I can't wait until I go back to a match in person for so many reasons but will I miss the regular TV appointment with the team I get at the moment?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal