collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Are fans in grounds necessary for elite football?  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Baldy

Re: Are fans in grounds necessary for elite football?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2021, 01:36:40 PM »
I miss the 'zoom ins' on a nice bit of totty. Especially if the match is crap.  :)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2021, 01:57:29 PM »
I fucking hate watching it with the family around me, I struggle very much be be 'nice, patient, understanding Dad' when I'm trying to watch the match.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 02:24:50 PM »
Watching such wall-to-wall football on TV with the surreality of there not being crowds has exposed the poor product that football is. Watching the best team this season - Citeh - passing the ball across the back 5 endlessly is not really entertainment, even if they do eventually create a goal from the possession they have. Seeing SheffU build a wall that Villa could not climb was not particularly entertaining.
Football has always been about the community, identity and controversy of allegiance; to one's team. It's always been the opportunity to disagree about the turns the games take, the dodgy decisions, the unexpected results, the injuries and the surprises of player-performance.
It's always been the reason to meet up with mates and fellow-fans; and - yes! - the inevitability of being fleeced by Woodhall before the game.
Even for those who do not attend the games live, the TV product is massively diminished by the absence of fans in the ground: the expressions, the surging noise of a supportive home-crowd, pre- and post-match interviews with people scurrying to or from the ground. The crowd sings songs, takes the piss, provides humour and holds refs and officials to account.
Being at the ground allows me to be unfettered, unconstrained by the usual social norms - which is not to say I become something I'm not; simply that -  like at a pantomime - I can allow my emotions a different sort of release.

If Sky, BT et al think they have captured the essence of the 'product', they are deluded and plain wrong.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 02:28:07 PM by Mister E »

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2021, 02:29:58 PM »
I fucking hate watching it with the family around me, I struggle very much be be 'nice, patient, understanding Dad' when I'm trying to watch the match.
I’m exactly the same.
I’m the same, I’d much rather watch on my own.
My missus hates me using the c word, and as I have no self control whatsoever, there’s my justification for locking myself away in another room to watch the Villa.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2021, 02:42:59 PM »
I’m exactly the same.
My missus hates me using the c word, and as I have no self control whatsoever, there’s my justification for locking myself away in another room to watch the Villa.

My kids steadfastly refuse to take any interest in football, and thus decide it time to play up every time I actually take control of the TV for once.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
I've noticed that BT commentators aren't as fussed as Sky are when it comes to apologising for the swearing.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2021, 02:58:47 PM »
I’m exactly the same.

My kids steadfastly refuse to take any interest in football, and thus decide it time to play up every time I actually take control of the TV for once.

This year I have become a  very angry and perpetual swearing machine  watching us .  The better we become the worse I behave 😳

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2021, 02:59:49 PM »
And why do people want to ask you questions when they are on. ,  duck off please

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2021, 03:23:03 PM »
More on topic I agree with CD that watching without any crowd noise is far better than the fake stuff which is just horrible.

Yep, the fake noise kills me inside. It's relentless, there just aren't the natural breaks and ebbs and flows you'd get in a real match and the 'reaction' sounds when something happens are worse than a computer game as they happen too late with either too much, or not enough, emphasis. It's shite.

I also hate it in those situations where you'd have a match on in the background and listening to the crowds helped you determine if it was worth looking up; pointless now.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »
I’m exactly the same.

This year I have become a  very angry and perpetual swearing machine  watching us .  The better we become the worse I behave 😳

Same here.  I really try and usually last about 20 minutes of absorbing the odd shit misplaced pass.  Then I get pushed over the edge by our inability to cross a ball over the first defender and it all comes out.  It's at this point I get the advice about the health of my heart and every time it's "if it makes you get into this state why watch it?" She's right on that one mind but it won't change anything.  I have reverted to watching it alone in the front room where I thought I would be able to express myself freely without being interrupted. It turns out not to be the case as I get visited and reminded that we have neighbours. I'm sure the neighbours know that Var is bollocks and the ref' is a biased cheating cnut and that McGinn will deserve the kick up the arse I'm going to administer for the next misplaced pass he makes.. I don't bother telling her this.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2021, 03:26:44 PM »
I’m exactly the same.

Thirded, my 6 year old is starting to be interested in football but he asks stupid questions when I'm trying to concentrate. Is that Grealish's free-kick, on repeat. Has he taken it yet? Which team is the one in yellow on? Why is it nil-nil still?

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2021, 03:47:22 PM »
It’s awful watching games with no crowds. Its crap, no matter how good the game is. It’s awful not being there full stop.

I’ve heard a few sound bites over the past few months suggesting fans maybe aren’t missed as much as some players would make out.

I’ve heard a couple of musicians this week saying they will probably carry on making a living but without touring anymore. Worrying for me as football and gigs are everything.

Offline Kevin Dawson

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 04:34:07 PM »
It’s awful watching games with no crowds. Its crap, no matter how good the game is. It’s awful not being there full stop.

I’ve heard a few sound bites over the past few months suggesting fans maybe aren’t missed as much as some players would make out.

I’ve heard a couple of musicians this week saying they will probably carry on making a living but without touring anymore. Worrying for me as football and gigs are everything.

Oh I agree......my mental state has suffered significantly without my Villa Park fix....I miss the camaraderie, the friends, the idiots, the annoying people, everything.....

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 05:09:18 PM »
What do you mean by necessary?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2021, 05:10:00 PM »
I tend to swich the TV off at 85 minutes so I can beat the rush to the kettle to make tea.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal