collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Wolves Pre-Match Thread - Saturday, March 6th - 5.30pm  (Read 7630 times)

Offline Aldridge Villa

Re: Aston Villa v Wolves Pre-Match Thread - Saturday, March 6th - 5.30pm
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2021, 09:04:47 PM »
Never seen such a low key pre match thread. Perhaps a few others like me ,whilst acknowledging a very decent season, haven’t quite got the nervous anticipation as it looks like a mid table finish, which in itself is creditable, but pre Burnley 2nd half offered a tad more.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2021, 12:32:31 AM »
1-1 I reckon. Think we’ve both clubs been a bit up and down recently. It’s funny with Wolves, I never get too excited about beating them, but hate losing to them. I’d be reasonably happy with a point so.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2021, 07:00:27 AM »
Having lost at Sheffield United, Dean will revert to his usual line-up and bring in Doug and Ross.  We need to win more of our home games, simple as.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2021, 11:26:11 AM »
Still feel ridiculously deflated after Wednesday.

A 4-1 home win like another 5.30pm kick off a few years ago when both teams were in the Championship would be VERY nice: I still remember that incredible claret sunset providing a backdrop to proceedings.

I've woken up from that pleasant dream now... :'(

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2021, 11:29:19 AM »
Apart from set pieces when Mings and Konsa are up, we can not afford to just lump the ball into the box and hope for the best. Coady etc will think it's Christmas. Patient, on the ground build ups with a calculated final pass is required. Would like to see Traore's trickery in the box (great at making a yard for himself) and be some support for Watkins. McGinn needs to be hovering just outside the box for a lay back, we are not utilising his shooting skills as much as we should. Therefore:

Trez           McGinn         Luiz          Barkley

Traore               Watkins

Play a 4 4 2

Trez in for his better workrate and habit of popping up at the back post. Gives us more options in and around the box which is what we need in the absence of Jack. If Barkley not producing, El Ghazi on at half time.  :)

I like the idea of trying Traore closer to Watkins. It's not working at all for him on the right wing and Elmo isn't going to overlap like Cash. Without Cash and Grealish I think we need to look at a different set up. Trez on the right would provide us with a bit more balance and allow us to take maybe a risk or two in the middle. Nakamba is limited but I don't think he did much wrong v Sheff Utd, nor Ramsey for that matter. I'd probably keep Nakamba in and give Targett a bit more licence to push forward.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2021, 11:35:36 AM »
Apart from set pieces when Mings and Konsa are up, we can not afford to just lump the ball into the box and hope for the best. Coady etc will think it's Christmas. Patient, on the ground build ups with a calculated final pass is required. Would like to see Traore's trickery in the box (great at making a yard for himself) and be some support for Watkins. McGinn needs to be hovering just outside the box for a lay back, we are not utilising his shooting skills as much as we should. Therefore:

Trez           McGinn         Luiz          Barkley

Traore               Watkins

Play a 4 4 2

Trez in for his better workrate and habit of popping up at the back post. Gives us more options in and around the box which is what we need in the absence of Jack. If Barkley not producing, El Ghazi on at half time.  :)

I like the idea of trying Traore closer to Watkins. It's not working at all for him on the right wing and Elmo isn't going to overlap like Cash. Without Cash and Grealish I think we need to look at a different set up. Trez on the right would provide us with a bit more balance and allow us to take maybe a risk or two in the middle. Nakamba is limited but I don't think he did much wrong v Sheff Utd, nor Ramsey for that matter. I'd probably keep Nakamba in and give Targett a bit more licence to push forward.

I've always quite liked the idea of Bertie through the middle playing just off Oliie, I think it might work well. As for Trez, I'd agree but he's also a perfect sub on 70 mins as well. It might be a day to start him though, he deserves a game.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2021, 01:24:07 PM »
Still feel ridiculously deflated after Wednesday.

A 4-1 home win like another 5.30pm kick off a few years ago when both teams were in the Championship would be VERY nice: I still remember that incredible claret sunset providing a backdrop to proceedings.

I've woken up from that pleasant dream now... :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal