collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 23/24 by Simon Page
[Today at 10:20:43 AM]

FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Kits 23/24 by Simon Page
[Today at 10:20:43 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 10:19:14 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 10:09:09 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Risso
[Today at 10:08:20 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

Re: International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Re: Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by john e
[Today at 10:00:02 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 09:52:01 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread  (Read 14801 times)

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
Re: 10 Man Sheffield United 1 Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2021, 09:56:31 PM »
No one, absolutely no one has the ability or confidence to actually take a player on and beat him. It’s all sideways, backwards and cross into the keepers arms. Jack is so so missed and shows up the inadequacies of the rest.

We have been poor for ages, but tonight confirms it all for me. Yes we have made progress this season but have a lot to do to talk about getting to the top 6. We are miles away for now
This.
There was no bravery in possession around their box, hence a shed load of absolute shit crosses. Each one a hit and hope, with no quality, and no target in mind.
As others have pointed out......wank!

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2021, 10:12:03 PM »

Every time there’s a couple of bad results this shite comes out the woodwork. We’re 9th, this time two years ago we were mid table at best in the championship. We’re on average form but also completely secure in the division and have made huge strides and are frankly unrecognisable to any villa side since some point 11 years ago. I’ll keep my rose tinted glasses on for a bit longer ta.

Leicester sacked the man who won them the league in the most amazing circumstances, and Chelsea have just sacked an ex-legend who got them Champions League in his frst season in less thn perfect circumstances. Sometimes you have to make difficult decisions to progress. That time isn't now, but I'm not convinced that Dean is a top 4 level manager, and I think at some point we'll outgrow him if the owners are serious, which I think they are.

Totally agree with this. I like Dean a lot as a person, super bloke. But I couldn’t give a toss that he is one of us, I just want a top quality manager to take us to the next level. It maybe Dean, it maybe someone else, but as a betting man, I think it might be someone else. Losing to Burnley and the bottom wasters that are Sheffield Utd  and outplayed at Brighton doesn’t help his case one bit.

Let’s think big for a change. Different era and times but go back to the early 70’s. Vic Crowe, lovely guy he was took us so far, but we took the decision to improve and in came Sir Ron. The rest is history. Improve from a position of growing strength is my view whether that’s players or managers. But don’t stand still. MON was the top quality manager of his day when he came in 2006, we need his equivalent now. Our owners are far more switched on than Randy is so I trust them to make the right decisions

I don’t think it’s about him being one of us. It’s about him taking over part way through what was turning into another poor championship season and getting us up at the first attempt, then keeping us up and getting us to a cup final and now into a comfortable top half side, in less than 2.5 years. That is actually successful in the period of time. It’s also completely different to Lampard and the current expectations at Chelsea which are challenging for the league every year, and all the money he was given which dwarves even the big money we spent. Leicester were also near the bottom the year after they won the league when they pulled the trigger.
It was shite tonight and frustrating and I thought Dean should of made changes as soon as they went to ten men, put two up top earlier, and he shouldnt be beyond criticism, but talking about making a change next year, it’s beyond me to be honest.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2021, 10:25:25 PM »
I know some are glad we don't 'do draws' anymore but I have to say I am annoyed by the number of defeats. Psycholoically defeats are horrible to take, especially against one of the worst sides in the PL era.

Offline Legion

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2021, 10:28:20 PM »
I know some are glad we don't 'do draws' anymore but I have to say I am annoyed by the number of defeats. Psycholoically defeats are horrible to take, especially against one of the worst sides in the PL era.

That was us a few seasons ago.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2021, 10:29:32 PM »

That was us a few seasons ago.

I agree on that, the progress is immense. It's just a frustrating night to lose to the bottom team when we had European qualification in our sights.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2021, 10:36:31 PM »
It's not one step forward two steps back at all, we are making progress, but it is frustrating not to be able to string back to back wins together. Sheff U are terrible this season and that is three points chucked tonight. I don't like Wednesdays.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2021, 10:48:47 PM »
Martinez- 6 .
 Some poor kicks tonight including straight to opposition. Not troubled.

Elmo-  6
. Part switch off allowed chance and goal. Unable to offer much on attack with low set crossing. Had a header that went over from corner. Did ok but nothing more and was lacking in the energy and tempo stakes. Disappointing.

Targett-5.5
Repeatedly failed with crossing and backed off baldock allowing cross shot. At fault for goal chance.

Konsa- 7
 Unbelievable composure several times on the ball and interception. One occasion he totally read the attacker and just took ball like candy from a baby. Felt for the central pair as they did they roles superbly this eve. Outside of sloppy goal.
Excellent control and shot which unlucky not to have been a goal brilliant effort any attacking player would be proud of.

Mings- 7
Rallied the troops and was doing job of Midfielders even before 10 men then was only one of a few who showed the care and determination. Solid in clearance and rarely troubled. Felt he carried ball forward well but was found wanting with little options and some of his longer passing. Midfielders were not able to disturb or offer option and was generally trying well with Konsa

Nakamba- 5
 Does what he does well with interceptions blocks and tackles but such a limited footballer. Passing ability is shocking. Unable to set much up either long or short was found wanting . Had a few period move ball and passed appropriately and I like him as a defense shield but offers nothing in any offensive capacity or build up of play. Lacks the skill of Luiz. Nakamba not so marvelous today and not needed for this one from the outset.

Ramsey- 5.5
Some wonderful touches link up with AEG but again faded and generally struggling to impose. Has good burst of energy and movement on occasions but not for much today and rightly subbed. Probably shouldn't have started this one.

McGinn -6
Attempting to be a Midfielder general once Sheff Utd were at 10 players failed miserably. Series of repeated balls in to box floated in with no real intelligence.
Missed glorious chance with right foot. Did do a few sublime passes and moves but too few and far between. Had elements of composure and discipline which good to see. Was fouled several times which should have seen bookings.

El Ghazi 7-
 pretty much the main attacking player and best Villa attacker. Unlucky he was not totally supported by others as first half had beating of full back and players. Offers goal threat and creativity but was inconsistent and unable to deliver final link up or pass. Showed some delightful touches dribbling . Disappointing but deserved the whole match. Targeted for several crude fouls. Shocking. Including red card foul. Which didn't even need VAR as so blatant. Several touchline fouls also occured as AEG was too good for anything Sheff Utd deal with when he dribbled .
Would have scored if not taken out.. unbelievable really.

Traore 6.5 -
well, better than Leeds match but couldn't be much worse! Another pretty weak showing. Brilliant dribble and near wonder goal. Should have scored with right foot but howling miss and tepid many times. Hardly helped out Midfielders Watkins or Elmo with his lack of movement of drifting on field and was really poor giving away ball guilty times holding on too long.

Watkins-7
 mixture as miscontrolled hold up play but helped created chances and was full of running . Does need the support and times he did some elaborate play as well as looking good with some nice passing. Mixture but one of the better players again. Was all set to score but blatantly fouled and a penalty should have been given. Very unlucky.

Subs:
Barkley 6- Man of his quality should have started.
Sanson 5.5- Would have been more interesting from start.
Davis 7- Held up ball and created opportunities did well in his cameo

Ref: 4 /10
Pretty disgraceful.
Should have had a pen
Several players were being fouled and ref didn't caution
Jagilek was a red card and embarrassing he first show yellow
thank you VAR
Mcgoldrick should have been red for second yellow. Ref let him off twice!

Villa 5.5/10
Konsa, Mings AEG Watkins and Davis were best performing players in underwhelming performance. And rated all of them as decent in comparison

Felt rest were lacking and not enough to score anything other than below 6 to lose to bottom of table team who had 10 men.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 10:50:30 PM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2021, 10:56:15 PM »
I'll take the blame for this not starting the match thread. Disappointing defeat. But it's who/what we are as a club at this point in time. And I have no doubt we will spend well again in the summer to help us push on again. Some current starters will be bench players. Some bench players will be gone. That's how it is meant to be done. We are better and deeper today to no longer be in the relegation discussion. Next year I hope we are in this spot again but with a much more ribust first XI and a genuine chance at the top 6. If we finish 8th this season as disappointing as it might feel given some of the highs it will still be a super campaign.

Offline Legion

« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2021, 10:58:43 PM »
For me, we have (so far) exceeded expectations at the start of the season.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2021, 11:04:01 PM »
A poor performance by anybody’s standards. I’ve said it before but when you go beyond the first choice starting 11 we are pretty low on quality at the moment but we are still building and Smith will put that right in the transfer window. Ramsey and Sanson are for next season not now and Elmo, AEG, Nakamba, Davis are not PL quality. For whatever reason the quality in the final third was shocking tonight

Agree with a lot of this, but think some of the criticism of Nakamba has been a little harsh, as apart from one really poor pass in the first half I thought he did OK. 

It was the most disappointing game this season though for me.  I don't know why we just persisted on hitting hopeful crosses into the box when that is what they are probably most adept at dealing with.  When we tried to play through them and slipped a few balls through, we caused them problems. 

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2021, 11:07:20 PM »
You do not score goals by lobbing diagonal balls int to box.
You also need some threat with free kicks and corners, we have nine.
We were offensively inept and made it very easy for Their defenders.
I hope that Smith drops El Ghazi and Traore for Saturday.

Traore offers more promise than he delivers. He clearly has ability. That piece of skill in the box in the first half was sensational. However it's the odd thing now and again. He needs to be more of a consistent threat to warrant his place.
He looked like he was playing for himself not the team, he lost the ball numerous times when there was a pass to a player in a better position.
He also bottled a few challenges. A liability tonight.

He has been for weeks.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2021, 11:54:03 PM »
He should have given Archer more of a chance instead of sending him out on loan to Solihull Moors for the season. Davis has shown time and time again that he is simply not good enough by a long way.

I don't think Davis did anything wrong tonight - won and held up the ball a couple of times and his touch was to set up a chance for AEG.  Probably more than Barkley and Sanson contributed combined.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2021, 12:12:13 AM »
Dismal display. Pathetic even.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2021, 12:19:06 AM »
As much as I have respect for Elmo depth at RB is evident without Cash. We should invest in that area in the summer. This lad looks promising...

https://twitter.com/avfc_vilr/status/1367259622290182147?s=21

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal