collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528648 times)

Offline nigel

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #975 on: June 29, 2022, 09:50:32 PM »
On that theme, maybe the Lion's Den?

Very Millwall

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #976 on: June 29, 2022, 10:45:23 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted?

https://www.gensler.com/projects/milwaukee-bucks-entertainment-district

That looks alright to me!

Been there. It’s fantastic. The idea for ours will have American/Wes sports influence. The intent will be very much to make this a venue to be used all the time.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #977 on: June 29, 2022, 10:54:43 PM »
On that theme, maybe the Lion's Den?

Very Millwall
Yes, you’re probably right.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 12:16:08 PM by FatSam »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #978 on: June 30, 2022, 06:30:54 AM »
Pride Zone.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #979 on: June 30, 2022, 07:12:48 AM »
Did we not have an entertainment venue not far from Villa Park in the 80s / 90s - I am sure that I saw Hooty and the Blowfish at that venue.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #980 on: June 30, 2022, 07:18:39 AM »
Did we not have an entertainment venue not far from Villa Park in the 80s / 90s - I am sure that I saw Hooty and the Blowfish at that venue.

And Kula Shaker  ;D

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #981 on: June 30, 2022, 09:32:23 AM »

Just for an idea of scale, I've had a look on Google Earth. While it is showing as an undeveloped building site on GE at the moment, the plot is approx. 110m x 90m.  That's potentially alot of building.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #982 on: June 30, 2022, 09:46:12 AM »

My sympathies!

As for having an entertainment venue, why don't they sort out the erntertainment on the pitch first? >:(

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #983 on: June 30, 2022, 09:48:30 AM »
Pride Zone.

Seems like LeeB was on the money with his earlier suggestion.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #984 on: June 30, 2022, 10:09:32 AM »

Been there. It’s fantastic. The idea for ours will have American/Wes sports influence. The intent will be very much to make this a venue to be used all the time.
It's a grand idea.  The cynic in me thinks they'll really struggle to make it work in this location outside of big event days.  There's just not enough complimentary venues / uses in the vicinity and dragging people out of the City Centre will be a major challenge.  Star City (although a different concept) feels like a big flop and that has better access and parking.

Box Park at Croydon and Shoreditch are both centrally located to the local centres, with loads of other shops and leisure venues right next to them.

But hopefully it will take enough on match days and other event days to make it worthwhile.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #985 on: June 30, 2022, 11:06:51 AM »

It's a grand idea.  The cynic in me thinks they'll really struggle to make it work in this location outside of big event days.  There's just not enough complimentary venues / uses in the vicinity and dragging people out of the City Centre will be a major challenge.  Star City (although a different concept) feels like a big flop and that has better access and parking.

Box Park at Croydon and Shoreditch are both centrally located to the local centres, with loads of other shops and leisure venues right next to them.

But hopefully it will take enough on match days and other event days to make it worthwhile.

Just a thought regarding an out-of-the-city venue, going in and out of Birmingham is becoming an inreasingly costly pain in the arse. I actually think there is a market for venues just outside that mean you don't have to pay a fortune to park/ incur clean zone charges.

20 years ago I wouldn't have believed you if you'd told me the Pershore Rd in Stirchley, where I used to go and get computers mended for cheap and that was about it, would be a thriving hub of craft bear and a good night out, I'd have laughed at you but here we are.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
« Reply #986 on: July 01, 2022, 10:39:38 PM »
Isn't Witton primarily used by away fans. I walk that way to the car and there are alwaysa lotos them queueing

Yes because most of them come in via New Street and so it is logical to get the train to Witton from there.

However, the majority of home fans who travel by train do so from Lichfield and Sutton Coldfield, and whilst Aston is on that line, Witton is not. You could of course change at Aston for Witton but it's not worth the bollox; easier to just walk from Aston stn to VP

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #987 on: July 02, 2022, 12:38:21 AM »

Maybe our owners are not looking at the here and now and how popular Aston, Witton etc are for a drink and a night out. If they wanted a sure thing, they could have purchased a London club at a vastly inflated fee and tried to make a dent in the oversaturated hospitality market there.

Speculators usually punt on the next big thing.

One of the better nights I had watching the Villa was at the Box Park at Elephant & Castle at the start of the 2018/19 for Hull away.  Young trendy types (and us wankers) gladly paying inflated prices for food and craft beers on a Monday night. In an area with a checkered reputation to say the least.

London is a totally different market to Brum, granted. But remote working, improved rail links to the Smoke (HS2 or no) and other factors will make the region a much more attractive option by the 30s. A venue such as this for live gigs, pre/post match entertainment and other events in the second city could work. And would have a broader appeal than just Villa fans.

Brummie pessimism is great, wouldn't change it for the world. But NSWE probably already know all about the potential pitfalls. They've weighed it up and still think it's worth a lash.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 12:45:10 AM by KevinGage »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #988 on: July 02, 2022, 01:29:05 AM »

Maybe our owners are not looking at the here and now and how popular Aston, Witton etc are for a drink and a night out. If they wanted a sure thing, they could have purchased a London club at a vastly inflated fee and tried to make a dent in the oversaturated hospitality market there.

Speculators usually punt on the next big thing.

One of the better nights I had watching the Villa was at the Box Park at Elephant & Castle at the start of the 2018/19 for Hull away.  Young trendy types (and us wankers) gladly paying inflated prices for food and craft beers on a Monday night. In an area with a checkered reputation to say the least.

London is a totally different market to Brum, granted. But remote working, improved rail links to the Smoke (HS2 or no) and other factors will make the region a much more attractive option by the 30s. A venue such as this for live gigs, pre/post match entertainment and other events in the second city could work. And would have a broader appeal than just Villa fans.

Brummie pessimism is great, wouldn't change it for the world. But NSWE probably already know all about the potential pitfalls. They've weighed it up and still think it's worth a lash.

That’s the spirit. There are still venues round there that are just about viable based on 20 match days and minimal trade the rest of the year. With improved transport, the option of a hotel stay, an increase in both capacity and the number of match days, plus events at the box park, year-round footfall and therefore viability, should increase and improve quite a bit. There!’s a stately home that’s a community museum, a beautiful church, there used to be a transport museum (but I don’t know what that building is used for now). There is the Holte Suite that puts on conferences and boxing, there will soon be a Premier League football academy. I’m just randomly listing assets now but they’re all capable of attracting some visitors.

Someone posted that Star City is a failure but we drive past quite often when going back and forth visiting family in Handsworth and Handsworth Wood and the car park is often rammed, even on weekday evenings. And Power League always looks busy quite late at night. So it is possible to get people over there. The Witton Arms was always busy when gigs were on at the leisure centre, it was the only time I used to drink in there.

Also, I’ve got a feeling that Villa games will be quite touristy in the near future if we keep recruiting the way we have been recently. It would be great if the Rat Pan, Aston Tavern and Aston Hotel could be brought back and made a success of.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 02:57:38 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #989 on: July 02, 2022, 06:19:21 AM »
The WFH is going to encourage more off site meetings as Firms reduce their floor space .

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal