collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:19:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by devilla
[Today at 12:43:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 12:42:22 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:40:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 12:38:12 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:36:41 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 12:32:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:19:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 530601 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #915 on: June 28, 2022, 09:39:32 PM »
FWIW I'd like the stand to be named 'The McGregor Stand' with his statue given pride of place on the proposed 'Villa Way'.

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #916 on: June 28, 2022, 10:34:15 PM »
The cross section of the stand looks decent but would hope it has some 'Villa Park' touches on the outside such as mosaics, stained glass and Holte type stairs rather than a more generic look like Anfield's Main Stand. https://twitter.com/Stuartlanky211/status/1541739866379243521/photo/1

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #917 on: June 28, 2022, 10:36:50 PM »

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #918 on: June 28, 2022, 11:04:08 PM »
Like Spurs did, I imagine with Wes Edens involved we will be looking to take a look at the best of new US NFL stadia. The one in LA is spectacular. Football cannot be a weekly or biweekly event. It has to become a more daily interaction and involve the broader community when games aren’t being played.

Online FatSam

« Reply #919 on: June 29, 2022, 12:23:17 AM »
It’s interesting that the club hasn’t identified the consultant team that it's working with. Purslow’s interview looks like it's being conducted in an architect’s meeting room. I genuinely don’t know which architect this belongs to, but my guess would be Grimshaw, based on the high-tech shelving in the background, and the model on the shelving, which looks like a cross section through the Waterloo Eurostar terminal. My opinion has always been that the club should appoint better quality consultants, and take their advice, rather than try to micro-manage the process like Doug did in the past. Whether or not you like their work, Grimshaw are a solid, high-quality practice.

The club have been engaging with BCC and WMRA. They’ve probably already had most of their pre-app engagement with the LPA, giving them enough confidence to put the scheme into the public domain. Consultation material is normally made to look less resolved than the design actually is, to imply flexibility, and avoid things looking fixed. If the images are a bit generic, there are less specifics for people to complain about. The cross section through the new stand is the only image rendered from CAD. The others are all hand sketches traced from the CAD model. I’d guess that the design isn’t going to change much from what is shown in that cross section, as there simply isn’t enough time before a late summer planning submission to do otherwise.

Based on this it looks as though the rear of the stand (including the entire upper tier) could be built before demolishing the existing stand, like Liverpool are currently doing with the Anfield Road End. 7,400 additional seats are mentioned, making an overall capacity of over 50,000, with a long-term aim for close to 60,000. I’m not entirely clear on current capacities, but I think the new stand would be about 14,500 seats, making the entire ground about 50,200. I’m a little underwhelmed, as I was (perhaps unrealistically) hoping that the long-term aim would be to exceed West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool etc. The new Witton End stand is the best opportunity to significantly increase capacity due to the relative lack of constraints. The Anfield Road End will apparently be about 16,000. I’m not aware of all of the issues, but these extra 1,500 seats might have made a long-term aim for above 60,000 possible.

Dealing with the public realm between the ground and the Brookvale Academy looks positive, creating more of a campus. There seems to be a sensible attempt to align the rear of the new stand with Station Road, which might be a limitation on the capacity. The Aston Live concept seems like a really good idea. I’m almost wondering if it is big enough though? If not, perhaps it can be enlarged later subject to demand.

Online FatSam

« Reply #920 on: June 29, 2022, 12:31:22 AM »
The cross section of the stand looks decent but would hope it has some 'Villa Park' touches on the outside such as mosaics, stained glass and Holte type stairs rather than a more generic look like Anfield's Main Stand. https://twitter.com/Stuartlanky211/status/1541739866379243521/photo/1
Yes, I'd like it to be distinctive in some way, rather than too generic. It looks better quality than the identikit new-build stadia, but I worry that red brick alone is just a bit lazy. The Witton Lane stand is red brick for example, but there isn't anything distinctive about it. I was thinking about a contemporary interpretation of the architecture of the Aston Lower Grounds buildings for example.

Online FatSam

« Reply #921 on: June 29, 2022, 01:00:17 AM »
It's definitely Grimshaw's office:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 01:05:03 AM by FatSam »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #922 on: June 29, 2022, 01:10:34 AM »
Great sleuthing, and insight, FatSam. The boy from Dudley done well - and somehow never managed the Villa!

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #923 on: June 29, 2022, 01:21:42 AM »
Great sleuthing, and insight, FatSam.

Agreed, very interesting stuff.

Online nigel

« Reply #924 on: June 29, 2022, 06:55:21 AM »
FWIW I'd like the stand to be named 'The McGregor Stand' with his statue given pride of place on the proposed 'Villa Way'.

That’s a very good idea

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #925 on: June 29, 2022, 07:00:52 AM »
I also hope the colouring of the stand indicates brickwork rather than brown cladding.

They’ll be using the Brown wrinkly tin that covered the Holte that Doug got on the cheap. That wasn’t in use too long so
 should be okay.

dont forget the red stripe

Well done, a Ron Atkinson "Spotters Badge" © for that distant memory !

Brown and red metal  , this must have been end of line sale and Doug couldn’t resist 😃

Wasn’t Aston Manor Brewery (owned by HDE) also cladded in identical fashion at the same time?
Yeah, I believe it was.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #926 on: June 29, 2022, 09:07:58 AM »
Getting more events staged at Villa Park is surely one of the considerations - more concerts, Europa League final, international matches will all give us a big revenue boost given we don't really do any of these at the moment.  The Villa Live venue will be important too - can see it being used for things like Darts and Snooker, these already take place in the exhibition hall at whatever Coventry/Wasps ground is called now.
I already hate that name "Villa Live" it just seems so naff. Aston Arena? The Saunders Suite?

Online Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #927 on: June 29, 2022, 09:11:48 AM »
Getting more events staged at Villa Park is surely one of the considerations - more concerts, Europa League final, international matches will all give us a big revenue boost given we don't really do any of these at the moment.  The Villa Live venue will be important too - can see it being used for things like Darts and Snooker, these already take place in the exhibition hall at whatever Coventry/Wasps ground is called now.
I already hate that name "Villa Live" it just seems so naff. Aston Arena? The Saunders Suite?

It's also an anagram of Villa Vile, which certain people will take much pleasure in. I didn't think about it when I completed mine, but maybe some of us who haven't already submitted their survey can mention the name.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #928 on: June 29, 2022, 09:29:01 AM »

It's also an anagram of Villa Vile, which certain people will take much pleasure in. I didn't think about it when I completed mine, but maybe some of us who haven't already submitted their survey can mention the name.
Villa Vile. Hadn't thought of that but you're right the small heath tramps will be all over that. Massive own goal. I've also already filled in the questionnaire so too late for me. I think this is something we need to get through to the club before it's too late but I don't know how we could do that.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #929 on: June 29, 2022, 09:33:08 AM »

Villa Vile. Hadn't thought of that but you're right the small heath tramps will be all over that. Massive own goal. I've also already filled in the questionnaire so too late for me. I think this is something we need to get through to the club before it's too late but I don't know how we could do that.

Who cares what the inbreds think or say. Whatever Villa call it they will find something to call it derogatory, but I for one don't give give a s#*t what they say or do.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal