collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528525 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #420 on: May 13, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
Is it really that bad a thing if the North Stand overshadows the Holte End?  Doesn't look like Leitch or Rinder particularly paid more attention to one than the other ...

I reckon just build the biggest, most impressive stand we can on each of the four sides.  We want other sides to come to Villa Park and be wowed.  Four stands, any one of which would be the most impressive stand at 99% of the clubs that visit.  Let them know their place.

Over 100 years of time has passed since then and that is all part of the ground and the attraction of it. I personally wouldn't have an issue with a bigger North Stand but I suspect a lot of fans wouldn't like it because 'the roar of the holte' is part of their match day experience. This is my point really, the owners need to decide just how far to go with the balance between commercial viability and tradition and I get the impression they will be more conservative than many would expect overall.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #421 on: May 13, 2021, 04:02:02 PM »
If the people in the Holte want to make it a competition between them and those in a huge North Stand (Ron Saunders Stand, presumably) as to who can make the most noise, I can only see advantages rather than problems.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #422 on: May 13, 2021, 04:03:36 PM »
I agree with Sexual Ealing.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #423 on: May 13, 2021, 04:11:19 PM »
what a great opportunity to give a nod to the old trinity with a new north stand

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #424 on: May 13, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »
If the people in the Holte want to make it a competition between them and those in a huge North Stand (Ron Saunders Stand, presumably) as to who can make the most noise, I can only see advantages rather than problems.

Exactly, and based on that picture above, it's what Leitch would've wanted!

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #425 on: May 13, 2021, 06:22:12 PM »
I used to take great pride in the Holte being the biggest standing terrace in the country. We have the space to create something fantastic at the North Stand, and we should definitely do so.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #426 on: May 13, 2021, 07:05:45 PM »
I used to take great pride in the Holte being the biggest standing terrace in the country.

The Holte and the South Bank at Molineux were the biggest weren't they?

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #427 on: May 14, 2021, 05:00:16 AM »
I used to take great pride in the Holte being the biggest standing terrace in the country.

The South Bank was empty (ish) though, no? Haha

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #428 on: May 14, 2021, 08:20:17 AM »
Think the Holte became the biggest by default when the south bank was demolished I read somewhere. It’s been probably 15 years since I was last at VP so I could be wrong, but I wouldn’t imagine the Holte being redeveloped any time soon. It looks like it has aged well too. I’d love to see something as or more impressive at the Witton End.

Offline kipeye

« Reply #429 on: May 14, 2021, 08:58:31 AM »
I agree with Sexual Ealing.
This is no place for religion.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #430 on: May 14, 2021, 11:58:24 AM »
Yeah...you're not supposed to agree with SE. He is meant to agree with others.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #431 on: May 14, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »

The Holte was the biggest stand that was in the same postcode as the pitch it faced.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #432 on: May 14, 2021, 12:14:17 PM »
The more and more I think about this the more I think a new North Stand replicating the Holte End is the way to go.

It would really elevate the ground up a notch to a modern, yet classic and unique stadium. The new stand could also incorporate better corporate faciltiies/boxes which may leave the seating capacity smaller than the Holte End but the overall aesthetic would look like a mirror image almost.

Plus, they could make it a little more expensive than the Holte (or reduce the prices in the Holte?) so that our core vocal fan will always choose the Holte?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #433 on: May 14, 2021, 12:25:24 PM »
The more and more I think about this the more I think a new North Stand replicating the Holte End is the way to go.

It would really elevate the ground up a notch to a modern, yet classic and unique stadium. The new stand could also incorporate better corporate faciltiies/boxes which may leave the seating capacity smaller than the Holte End but the overall aesthetic would look like a mirror image almost.

Plus, they could make it a little more expensive than the Holte (or reduce the prices in the Holte?) so that our core vocal fan will always choose the Holte?
I agree with this. It's the only area of the ground with no restraints and we just have to make the most of it. A red brick exterior like the Holte is a must but I'd go bigger. Does it matter if it's bigger than the Holte? I don't think it does. Make it huge. Make it the best. Imagine a stand that could hold 18/20k? It's possible and would once again elevate Villa Park to where it should be. The very best.The Holte is iconic and always will be no matter what.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #434 on: May 14, 2021, 01:20:33 PM »

I agree with this. It's the only area of the ground with no restraints and we just have to make the most of it. A red brick exterior like the Holte is a must but I'd go bigger.

Agree with this but happy for it to be just big enough to bring us to over 50k. I would also rename it The (William) McGregor Stand with his statue given pride of place so visiting fans are made well aware of his place in football history.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal