collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 528280 times)

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #255 on: March 10, 2021, 11:48:33 PM »
The best looking stadia are all in the Americas for some reason. The NFL has got some tremendous looking stadia too - https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/list/ranking-nfl-stadiums-from-worst-to-best/dky07jdst5w1mcy7cgsm7q6s/2

This was interesting thank you. I notice that their number one ranked stadium is the oldest one on there, from 1957. "Part museum, part mecca, all classic."

Offline Rico

« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2021, 06:37:44 AM »
I went here in the early 90s. It's the Monumental Stadium in Ecuador. Its probably the most impressive stadium I've ever been too. I think it shows that you can have an amazing stadium of four separate stands. Villa Park would in my opinion be magnificent if all of the opposing stands mirrored each other. Obviously there would be problems with Within Lane, but surely it's something that could be overcome?

That looks fantastic I've never seen that before. How high are those end stands? And I'm loving the symmetry something a certain HDE had absolutely no concept of. Two Holte ends and two Trinity Rds opposing each other would tick all the boxes for me with the lower sections joined all around the ground in a continuous sweep.

Yeah they were big old stands that's for sure. They were both terraced stands, probably on a par with the old Holte  End. Interestingly the team that play there are called F.C. Barcelona.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2021, 09:06:56 AM »
Yeah they were big old stands that's for sure. They were both terraced stands, probably on a par with the old Holte  End. Interestingly the team that play there are called F.C. Barcelona.

Only holds 57k, looks bigger tbf.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2021, 09:15:11 AM »
The best looking stadia are all in the Americas for some reason. The NFL has got some tremendous looking stadia too - https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/list/ranking-nfl-stadiums-from-worst-to-best/dky07jdst5w1mcy7cgsm7q6s/2

I’m a Packers Fan and been to Lambeau Field a few times and I’m surprised it’s ranked so high in that list. It definitely has that old school feel to it in the original bowl. But the  ‘bleachers’ are metal and uncomfortable and bloody cold on your arse if you don’t layer up in winter or September for that matter. The only reason they keep them is because they’d lose about 10,000 season ticket holders places and they already have that 30 year waiting list for tickets as it is. It would be like having a tier of North Stand lower seats and their tight leg room all round Villa Park just to experience how seating was when Doug did it back in the day.

The atmosphere is fantastic, and of course the foyer areas are better than here, but NFL pitches are narrower than footy pitches so you feel a bit closer. Last year before the lockdown I experienced the last minute winner against Leicester to go to Wembley at Villa Park and a play completion at Lambeau to advance the Packers in the play offs within a month or so of each other.

The best atmosphere? Pretty similar at both to be honest....carnage, limbs etc. No away fans in one location to gloat at is the big difference I suppose. The drinking culture at the Packers games is very similar to Villa though, that’s why I like it!

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2021, 10:59:58 AM »
In theory, I wonder if it would be possible to just close Witton Lane from Holte Road all the way up to Station Road?  There are no other roads off Witton Lane between those two points, and plenty of other routes for traffic to negotiate around Villa Park - it would add inconvenience, but it's not a particularly busy route most days (plus aren't we supposed to be discouraging car use).  It would give much more room for improved concourse areas, and whilst the stand can't really go any higher we could at least use the existing footprint much more efficiently, to hopefully give us a much better stand and probably an increase in capacity.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2021, 11:05:09 AM »
In theory, I wonder if it would be possible to just close Witton Lane from Holte Road all the way up to Station Road?  There are no other roads off Witton Lane between those two points, and plenty of other routes for traffic to negotiate around Villa Park - it would add inconvenience, but it's not a particularly busy route most days (plus aren't we supposed to be discouraging car use).  It would give much more room for improved concourse areas, and whilst the stand can't really go any higher we could at least use the existing footprint much more efficiently, to hopefully give us a much better stand and probably an increase in capacity.

Go to Villa Park during the week and you'd be surprised at how busy Witton Lane and especially Trinity Road are. There is no way the council would allow one of them to be blocked off, particularly as it would then mean a diversion along Witton Road.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »

Go to Villa Park during the week and you'd be surprised at how busy Witton Lane and especially Trinity Road are. There is no way the council would allow one of them to be blocked off, particularly as it would then mean a diversion along Witton Road.

True, there's nothing else other than Trinity Road and Witton Lane that really links Witton Road and Lichfield Road in that immediate vicinity other than the roads between the terraces, which aren't fit to be used by that much traffic.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2021, 11:15:53 AM »
They are shutting plenty of other busy roads across the city, so why not.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2021, 03:58:56 PM »
I'd rather we didn't kick local people out of their houses.

I don’t think Liverpool did they just bought them up, left them empty, creating a serious case of urban blight and most others then moved out as a result. It was a pretty scummy move in my opinion but it got them what they wanted. I’d like to think we wouldn’t do that and try and take local residents with us on any ground extensions but sometimes it’s the old “omelettes and broken eggs” scenario.

Yes I think it caused a lot of animosity around Anfiield , not the way to do it

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2021, 05:11:09 PM »
Yes I think it caused a lot of animosity around Anfiield , not the way to do it

The Guardian covered it in a few articles over the years e.g.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2013/may/06/anfield-liverpool-david-conn

Shameful really.

Offline steamer

« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2021, 05:21:53 PM »
On a humorous memory, I remember being at an early season  night game against man city ?
Doug had sneakily  tried to redevelop the Holte by putting a fence down the middle.
"The Holte did not like it and rose up above it and pulled the fence down"
The concrete had not set and it was not a big deal to push it over. The police were a bit nonplussed as what to do as it had happened before they had a chance to respond
Not sure what the intentions were in putting it up in the 1st place
The rumour was that Doug thought he could sell it out by letting opposition fans in one side.
But my memory is a bit vague and i could be wrong
But there was a fence and after its demolition it never came back

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2021, 06:24:21 PM »
On a humorous memory, I remember being at an early season  night game against man city ?
Doug had sneakily  tried to redevelop the Holte by putting a fence down the middle.
"The Holte did not like it and rose up above it and pulled the fence down"
The concrete had not set and it was not a big deal to push it over. The police were a bit nonplussed as what to do as it had happened before they had a chance to respond
Not sure what the intentions were in putting it up in the 1st place
The rumour was that Doug thought he could sell it out by letting opposition fans in one side.
But my memory is a bit vague and i could be wrong
But there was a fence and after its demolition it never came back
They did rebuild the fence. It was there in the last day of the Holte pictures.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2021, 06:28:13 PM »
Am i making this up but couldnt you walk between the two halves of the holte right at the very back, even with the fence, for a good few years.

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2021, 06:51:01 PM »
It was split for the FA Cup semi’s and they put a net up to stop the inevitable missile throwing.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #269 on: March 12, 2021, 09:06:05 AM »

This was interesting thank you. I notice that their number one ranked stadium is the oldest one on there, from 1957. "Part museum, part mecca, all classic."
Some fabulous stadiums there. Some of them knock spots off Wembley. The last one got me thinking. Behind the North stand we could have something similar we have the space. An entertainment area with bars and eaterys. Something like Box Park at Wembley.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal