collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 529852 times)

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #150 on: March 08, 2021, 10:57:00 AM »
The brief to the architects should have been - reflect the history of the club and the ground, stained glass, staircases, mosaics, claret and blue balustrades and a gable. Make it imposing during the day, magical at night.

And every fan that enters has to get a taste of the grandeur of stand and the club- as they did with the original.

That said, the original almost bankrupted the club... but worth every penny.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #151 on: March 08, 2021, 11:01:42 AM »
A full Villa Park at night, bouncing, one of the greatest places on earth. The atmosphere at the Everton game at the start of last season, it was like a release of a decade of shite.

The brief as you say for the new North and or Wittion should be;

Pitch side - large, imposing, intimidating
Internally - vast and spacious
Externally - grand, nods to 19th century origins (basically go onto the Holte car park and make some notes of what you see)

I cant think of many stands like the Holte up and down the land really, from the outside.

Offline London Villan

« Reply #152 on: March 08, 2021, 11:09:35 AM »
Simon Inglis says it better than me that the Holte is a pastiche of the Trinity, which itself is a pastiche of Aston Hall...

I like the Holte - and there is nothing like it anywhere else in football. West Ham had a go at something different with their (now demolished) sandcastles, which looked kitsch and tacky, but other than that it's all glass and banners.

So that's the balance, character or kitsch - at the end of the day it's a football stadium and not likely to win the Stirling Prize - but it would be great to be able to have something that is unique to us and reflects the achievements of the club.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #153 on: March 08, 2021, 11:19:47 AM »
A full Villa Park at night, bouncing, one of the greatest places on earth. The atmosphere at the Everton game at the start of last season, it was like a release of a decade of shite.

The brief as you say for the new North and or Wittion should be;

Pitch side - large, imposing, intimidating
Internally - vast and spacious
Externally - grand, nods to 19th century origins (basically go onto the Holte car park and make some notes of what you see)

I cant think of many stands like the Holte up and down the land really, from the outside.

The atmosphere at the start was brilliant. The atmosphere at the end with the last minute goal was simply sensational.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #154 on: March 08, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »
You couldn't retain it. It was small and pokey with restricted views owing to the posts. It had a lovely facade, but given how small it was, it would have been impossible to keep it in the footprint of a significantly larger stand.

It would have been nice to have copied the exterior of the Holte and built something like that in homage, with stained glass perhaps on the first level etc.

What was built took Lerner to finish mind, so there's no doubt HDE did it on the cheap.
i am sure a compromise between retaining and bulldozing the whole lot could have been found.

Building around it. Which sounds a bit stupid, granted, but it would have been possible I reckon.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #155 on: March 08, 2021, 11:49:58 AM »
I'd almost have no issue with a bowl-type effect if they rebuilt the North Stand. but leave the Holte as a stand on it's own, I guess actually that would then be a horseshoe?

Anyway, I reckon we could get planning permission to build the Witton Stand over the road, as we have with the Trinity. I also think there's a huge amount of space to re-do the North as a monster of a stand.

In terms of capacity to aim for, I think 50k is conservative, we should go for more.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #156 on: March 08, 2021, 11:59:07 AM »
I'd almost have no issue with a bowl-type effect if they rebuilt the North Stand. but leave the Holte as a stand on it's own, I guess actually that would then be a horseshoe?

Anyway, I reckon we could get planning permission to build the Witton Stand over the road, as we have with the Trinity. I also think there's a huge amount of space to re-do the North as a monster of a stand.

In terms of capacity to aim for, I think 50k is conservative, we should go for more.

You'd be imposing on the housing behind Witton Lane.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #157 on: March 08, 2021, 12:24:55 PM »
If they could nod to the past in 1995 when building the Holte End I just cannot understand why they couldn't do that five years later with the Trinity?

Offline London Villan

« Reply #158 on: March 08, 2021, 12:29:53 PM »
Sinking the pitch and begin to move the ground 10m north with the rebuilding of the north stand. The Trinity was built to be extended at the north end and then you'd have to better use the space in front of the front row of the witton and have a few rows overhang with an upper tier.

Wouldn't be cheap and means long-term planning. Also assumes the sightlines would still work from the back of the holte and row zzz of the upper trinity.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #159 on: March 08, 2021, 01:07:25 PM »
Where would we play our home games if any rebuilding affected the existing pitch?

Offline cdward

« Reply #160 on: March 08, 2021, 01:14:29 PM »
Where would we play our home games if any rebuilding affected the existing pitch?
The Lucas sports ground down Moor Lane by Witton Cemetery, or Alexander Stadium?

Offline London Villan

« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2021, 01:27:28 PM »
40,000 seat commonwealth games stadium. Good opportunity to get it sorted.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2021, 01:34:31 PM »

I like that, would they use existing Triniry Rd stand and wrap it all the way around to the other side of the Holte or start from scratch?

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2021, 01:57:01 PM »
40,000 seat commonwealth games stadium. Good opportunity to get it sorted.

I think it's only going to hold 30k now, and the two temporary ends will be completely open to the elements.  Not sure if I'd fancy sitting in a temporary stand in the pissing rain in the middle of January!

If we redevelop a stand at a time I don't think we would need to move anywhere - when we were rebuilding the Holte and the Trinity we were able to use parts of the stands for some of the season, and even if not we are only losing about 7k off the capacity without the North Stand.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2021, 02:29:35 PM »

You'd be imposing on the housing behind Witton Lane.

And building over the road would do nothing to improve the concourse areas in the lower Witton, which is a large part of the problem with the current stand.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal