collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Redevelopment  (Read 523596 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Villa Park Redevelopment
« on: March 03, 2021, 12:09:56 AM »
I see in an article by the BBC that the intention is to redevelop Villa Park for any potential World Cup 2030 bid. I would be surprised if we did not demolish the  oeth Stand before then.

Could we be the Witton going as Phase II?

Aston Villa is one club who will offer full support for any bid and plan to upgrade Villa Park to ensure it meets Fifa guidelines for the tournament.

Villa Park has a rich tradition of hosting major occasions, including three games at the 1966 World Cup, four Euro 96 games and a total of 16 internationals. It was the first English stadium to host internationals across three different centuries and has also staged a record 55 FA Cup semi-finals as well as the 1999 European Cup Winners' Cup Final between Mallorca and Lazio.

Offline FatSam

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:23:06 AM »
I wonder why we are the only club specifically mentioned, when we have no immediate plans on the table. Everton on the other hand have just received planning consent for their proposed new stadium. It seems strange.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 01:04:53 AM »
Finally, that long-mooted boost to 52k with a North Stand wrap-around (Holte still free-standing, don't worry).

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »
no wrap-around for me. I know I'm stuck in a time warp but a football ground should have 4 stands and VP is already the finest stadium in the country, lets not copy the other identikit grounds that are popping up all over the place.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 08:07:01 AM »
Neither North Stand or Witton Lane stand are fit for purpose concourse wise but I’d imagine when they have been sat empty for a year+ now is not the time for redeveloping

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 08:13:49 AM »
no wrap-around for me. I know I'm stuck in a time warp but a football ground should have 4 stands and VP is already the finest stadium in the country, lets not copy the other identikit grounds that are popping up all over the place.
I agree completely. I'd be entirely up for shoving a big, red brick clock tower like the one at Birmingham Uni in the Witton Lane corner of the North Stand. Just to highlight how tinpot every other ground is compared to ours.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2021, 08:16:23 AM »
They reckon full grounds are not far off. I think maybe quite soon the time will be right to redevelop the north stand. Especially if we can maintain some kind of momentum football-wise the next few years. It’s been probably 20 years since I’ve been in the Witton Lane, I remember it having good views, but a bit cramped and shit concourse facilities. Whether that gets done or not could depend on a number of things. With the north stand I’d scrap the approved wrap around plans and go for a big fuck off bank like Spurs have got, but a free-standing structure. Real shame we couldn’t have been more creative with the old trinity- like ibrox, but what was done was done.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 08:21:41 AM »
On a side note- presumably the rail seating plans have been parked as a general idea since COVID ? If we could do it, I’d have the Holte and lower north converted to rail seating

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 08:25:48 AM »
I agree completely. I'd be entirely up for shoving a big, red brick clock tower like the one at Birmingham Uni in the Witton Lane corner of the North Stand. Just to highlight how tinpot every other ground is compared to ours.
brilliant! why not go the whole hog and stick one in the trinity corner too and mount AV floodlights on them too?

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 08:27:58 AM »
One slightly taller than the other

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 11:02:27 AM »
Whatever happens with the World Cup bid it can only be a matter of time before we have a comprehensive redevelopment of both the North Stand and Witton Lane.  The North Stand will be getting on for 50 years old soon which must be close to it's intended lifespan anyway, and with the amount of space behind it there is the opportunity to develop a facility as good as anything in some of the new grounds whilst not losing our heritage.  Witton Lane will be slightly more difficult with the rights to light etc for the properties behind, although given the advances in technology since the last rebuild I suspect we will be able to get something bigger and better there as well.

I will say that any redevelopment that includes AV floodlights and putting a gable on the roof of Trinity Road would get my seal of approval.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 11:04:14 AM »

Same here, just joined low down as it is atm.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 11:19:11 AM »
With the Witton I think you'd have to either divert the road, make the road 1 way to cut it down or push it back into the parkland area.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 11:20:30 AM »
Assuming the joint 2030 bid goes ahead what would be the 12 stadiums? The following would be a strong list with not much work required.

Wembley (Final), Tottenham, Emirates, Villa Park, Anfield/Everton, Old Trafford, St. James' Park, Millennium, Hampden, Celtic Park/Murrayfield, Aviva, Croke Park (assuming GAA approve). Possibly Casement Park in Belfast if it's redeveloped to the required standard.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 11:26:00 AM »
Even with the expansion to 48 teams, England could easily host the World Cup alone. Adding the Celts makes it less likely to pass as the rest of Europe aren't going to want to surrender five of their sixteen qualifying spots. In any case, such a tournament would likely just be England with a tiny handful of games elsewhere as a token.

I'd much rather England bid for the World Cup alone, and Scotland, Wales and the Republic of Ireland (sorry Northern Ireland, you don't get any games) bid for the Euros instead.

That said, I would rather England bid for 2034 as the romantic in me wants Uruguay to have some involvement in hosting 2030.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal