collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 27 years ago today - Tranmere  (Read 4182 times)

Offline BC Villain

27 years ago today - Tranmere
« on: February 27, 2021, 11:23:29 AM »
Very few words needed.  One of the most incredible afternoons I can remember.  So many emotions on that day.  Trepidation, horror, hope, frustration, and then finally the massive outpouring of joy and relief.  A day that showed what a mighty club Aston Villa is. 

RIP Ugo and Dalian

Offline Damo70

Re: 27 years ago today - Tranmere
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 11:30:09 AM »
Very few words needed.  One of the most incredible afternoons I can remember.  So many emotions on that day.  Trepidation, horror, hope, frustration, and then finally the massive outpouring of joy and relief.  A day that showed what a mighty club Aston Villa is. 

RIP Ugo and Dalian

The atmosphere at Villa Park was more similar to the European nights against Juventus, Barcelona and Inter than a Sunday afternoon cup tie against first division Tranmere Rovers.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
Sat in witton upper, directly above Tranmere fans - I had the best view of O’Briens free kick ping back off that angle - wow, truly great days.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 03:14:42 PM »
Our fans had not had a sniff of a trophy since the heady days of the early 80s and were ravenous. A thrilling, rollercoaster ride of emotions, played out to the best atmosphere in a big occasion game at Villa Park ever, in my opinion.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2021, 04:30:22 PM »
The Holte was actually “shaking” to Big Fat Ron’s Claret and Blue Army. Unforgettable atmosphere.

Online Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 07:42:30 PM »
One incredible afternoon full of incident. One the last great 'standing ' Holte matches. Ugo's penalty kick bounced past us- we were 10 rows back, upstairs in the North Stand!

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 09:29:59 PM »
One incredible afternoon full of incident. One the last great 'standing ' Holte matches. Ugo's penalty kick bounced past us- we were 10 rows back, upstairs in the North Stand!

Rico’s is still flying through space I think.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 09:32:16 PM »
https://youtu.be/8tSwjVzM0Mk

If anyone fancies watching it

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 09:40:30 PM »
Possibly my favourite game at Villa Park although the games against Anderlecht and Barcelona before and a couple of others since(maybe the FA Cup quarter final against Smethwick) run it close. For me just getting there that day was an epic journey. I'm not sure I would feel that way in O'Brien's free kick had gone in though.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 09:51:48 PM »

Just behind the one he took at Wimbledon in 93

Online Godfrey Brian

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 10:03:06 PM »

Actually, watching the pens again, it was probably Rico's (apologies Ugo). Anyway those missed spot kicks were an important part of the drama.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 10:32:25 PM »

Ugo’s pen hit the half way line after hitting the bar?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 10:50:06 PM by JuanMartinez »

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 10:51:44 PM »
Remember watching at home (I'd have been 9 at the time) and hiding my head in pillows during the penalty shootout.

Also, didn't they hit the woodwork with a freekick?

Offline remy

• Claret & Blue Flag ALWAYS flapping
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 11:05:24 PM »
When Atkinson made it 4-4 on aggregate (RIP Dalian) the outpouring of elation was something I’ve never forgotten.

The 1st leg I switched off the radio at 3-0 and only learned in the morning we nicked one at the death needing a 2-0 to progress.

When teale scored that diving header I thought were on for a hatful here only for Aldridge to run free (looked offside) for 2-1.

Radio commentary (recorded!) “We need another late late show here....Tony Daley then....we need another one of his great crosses.....the header from Atkinson (pause)....yeeeeeaaaaaaas.....it is another late late show from dalian atkinson!!!”

Just after the last bosnich save - Radio WM - “start partying now....start the celebrations because the 17 year wait is over....Aston Villa are going to a cup final”

Of course the final was an even better story.....ah the glorious memories.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 11:11:08 AM »

Actually, watching the pens again, it was probably Rico's (apologies Ugo). Anyway those missed spot kicks were an important part of the drama.

When Rico missed, I thought it was going to be all over. All the cameramen were waiting for the next kick and trying to get the shot of the tranmere manager running on the pitch.

Bozzie had other ideas...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal