collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 11:19:56 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by AV82EC
[Today at 11:16:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:11:04 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:07:39 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 11:05:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Richard E
[Today at 11:00:08 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds United vs Aston Villa Pre-Match thread - Sat, Feb 27th - 5.30pm  (Read 11893 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: Leeds United vs Aston Villa Pre-Match thread - Sat, Feb 27th - 5.30pm
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2021, 10:22:00 PM »
I'm still a little shocked that the title of this thread has not been amended to reflect the full nature of our oppo: "Dirty Leeds" is the correct monicker for this one-club-city with a 8 year history known as 'Revie time'.

Agreed. They were Dirty Leeds then. They are Dirty Leeds now. They will always be Dirty Leeds.

As the song went. "And we'll play all the way for Dirty Leeds. Elland Road (and any other place) is the battleground for us."

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2021, 11:05:04 PM »
"...If he would have stayed on the pitch last week he would have..."
If he 'would have'? FFS Dean!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2021, 11:06:20 PM »
That made me wince too, BE.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2021, 11:15:03 PM »
Nothing is more certain than Barkley starting and Bamford scoring tomorrow.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2021, 11:20:32 PM »
That made me wince too, BE.
Too right! Without getting all prescriptive grammar about it, and with all due respect to the natural evolution of language, and the suffocating mass of contemporary usage, the use of 'would' in the conditional clause is an abomination.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2021, 11:24:13 PM »
It would of been.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2021, 11:35:50 PM »
Speaking of predictable. You must have read Goldie's latest offering and thought hold my pint.

Actually, before I posted that Wesley post I pretty much read back the entire thread and the unanimous opinion of him pre the Burnley match was that he is an incredibly shit footballer.

I don't rate him, accept it.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2021, 11:37:22 PM »
Is it from a recorded interview where we can be sure it's what he would have said ? What if a journalist would have misquoted his exact wording then we would have to admit we would be wrong in saying he got it wrong when actually he would have got it right ? Wouldn't we ?

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2021, 03:33:56 AM »
I'm still a little shocked that the title of this thread has not been amended to reflect the full nature of our oppo: "Dirty Leeds" is the correct monicker for this one-club-city with a 8 year history known as 'Revie time'.

I’d like to note that we’re keeping the tradition alive on here, as the title of Guess The Goal Round 30 is Dirty Leeds v ASTON VILLA ! 🥅 👍

Find it in Heroes Discussion in the stickied bit at the top!

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2021, 09:29:41 AM »
FIFA 21 predicts Dirty Leeds 1 (Rodrigo header after a still inexplicably awarded free kick) Aston Villa 3 (Watkins header from corner and subsequent close range header after a slick move, either side of a coolly taken Trezeguet penalty.)

Re:Dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty Leeds vs Aston Villa
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2021, 09:43:45 AM »

I’d like to note that we’re keeping the tradition alive on here, as the title of Guess The Goal Round 30 is Dirty Leeds v ASTON VILLA ! 🥅 👍

Find it in Heroes Discussion in the stickied bit at the top!

Yes Louzie, I noticed that. Glad to see you are calling them by their correct name and thank you for all the work you are doing with GTG.

I'm embarrassed and ashamed that any thread on H &V calls them Leeds United.(sic)
It's the thin end of the wedge. What next ? Clean Leeds ? Fairplay Leeds ? Nice Leeds ?
I thought with Trump going we might be starting to move back towards some sanity in the world, but the lies and misinformation continues.
In the interests of journalistic accuracy, I call on the moderators to correct this abomination and re-name this thread `Dirty Leeds v Aston Villa'.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2021, 09:44:32 AM »
FIFA 21 predicts Dirty Leeds 1 (Rodrigo header after a still inexplicably awarded free kick) Aston Villa 3 (Watkins header from corner and subsequent close range header after a slick move, either side of a coolly taken Trezeguet penalty.)                                               
                                                                                                             And how did FIFA21 rate barklays contribution ?

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2021, 09:45:31 AM »
He had an ok game apart from missing a sitter.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2021, 09:47:26 AM »
Christ, I would love it if he could raise his game even to the lofty heights of OK

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2021, 09:47:57 AM »
Judging by the pre match press conference, Smith is more than happy with Barkley's effort

"It's certainly not for the want of trying. If he would have stayed on the pitch last week he would have covered the most distance out of any player from Leicester and Aston Villa, so he's certainly putting the hard yards in."

Maybe we've got it all wrong? Or maybe he's just jogging around the pitch to get his 'stats' up?

I know managers often use the media to speak to or gee up players but Smith is coming across a bit deferential when it comes to Barkley. It's getting a bit embarrassing.

Especially after two very public displays of petulance from Barkley. It's starting to make Smith look quite weak.

Agreed.

I think the season is at a crossroads now. We aren’t playing well and Smith has some actual options on the bench. Ramsay and Sanson. Either player would improve the current team so why stick with what isn’t working. We could still finish either 8th or 14th in my view. The owners may think Smith is the man to take us forward to the next stage of our development (challenging top 6) if we can finish the season well. If we finish around 14th they might just think the opposite.

The continuous story around Barkley is of Smiths own making. Yes he has to defend him in press conferences but he doesn’t have to play him when he clearly is out of form. Bench him and bring him on if needed. I hope this is what happens today but I have my doubts.

What is clear is that we need energy in midfield because Leeds will bring plenty of it. The likes of Bielsa wouldn’t stand such poor form and petulance

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal