collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leeds United vs Aston Villa Pre-Match thread - Sat, Feb 27th - 5.30pm  (Read 11898 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Leeds United vs Aston Villa Pre-Match thread - Sat, Feb 27th - 5.30pm
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2021, 01:18:43 PM »
At the moment we are at the crossroads of mid table mediocrity and a European spot .  Let’s embrace this

And there isn't one of us who wouldn't have jumped at the chance of mid-table mediocrity when the season started. I've said before that this, like other transitional periods, will have games when we're good, bad and indifferent, but it doesn't really matter as long as there's progress and that's currently still happening. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 01:23:51 PM by dave.woodhall »

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2021, 01:24:37 PM »
Since 12 points from the first four games it’s been 24 from 19.  12 points from 12 available then 24 from 57 available.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »
At the moment we are at the crossroads of mid table mediocrity and a European spot .  Let’s embrace this

And there isn't one of us who wouldn't have jumped at the chance of mid-table mediocrity when the season started. I've said before that this, like other transitional periods, will have games when we're good, bad and indifferent, but it doesn't really matter as long as there's progress and that's currently still happening. 

I also agree, I think we got slightly spoilt with some of the earlier scorelines in the season so i haven't been overly disappointed with some of the poorer performances.

It would be brilliant to take advantage of our current position and grab a European slot, but I'm more than happy to have signed what looks like a decent player in the transfer window and finish midtable as long as we build on that for next season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2021, 01:55:32 PM »
OK Dave, just pick the games you like that prove that we're playing really well, and everything's great. It really is no skin off my nose.

"Yes, you're right, everything's great" really is the Godwin's Law of H&V. As is always the case, nobody's claimed that everything's great. We're in a sticky patch during a season that has overall been better than expected and has at times been beyond our wildest dreams. Why anyone would want to go out of their way to put a negative spin on it is beyond me. 

All anybody has done is discuss that sticky patch and the reasons for it. As usual though, you almsot seem to see having a different opinion as a personal affront.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2021, 02:06:15 PM »
Second season back up, 4 points off a top 6 place and and people are trying to look at the negatives, in a so far very promising season, which let's be honest, no-one really expected. Even Jack said in an interview he expected around a top 10 finish. The players have all done so well. We were bound to hit some bumpy patches along the way, that was enivetiable but hopefully as we go along, we'll learn from them. I'm enjoying it, I'm sure most are.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2021, 02:08:31 PM »
Sound like young Mr Grace Clamps.  :-)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2021, 02:10:21 PM »
I worry that if Barclay is picked as a starter that there must be some truth in the "contract agreement" rumours of his loan deal. He could not possibly be picked on form

Back 5 as we know

Nakamba                 Sansom

Ramsay

Traore                      Watkins               Jack (El Ghazi)

I think we give these a game

1-2   Bert & Ramsays 1st Villa goal - some bloke with girls hair for them

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2021, 02:49:04 PM »
I chose the second half  Burnley because before then we were playing well even considering 2 defeats to Manchester. Since half time at Turf Moor our form had dipped and the stats and performance confirms this.
Not sure what the argument is about.

The last two performances in particular have been really poor. A day like we had at Brighton where nothing goes right really, bar a clean sheet, can happen but we didn't react at all well v Leicester. In truth, we looked a bit of a rabble without Jack.

For me it's our midfield trio have been poor since that Burnley first half. We have been comprehensively outplayed in midfield since that night in every game including the wins v Southampton and Arsenal. We are going direct to Watkins far too often as a result and without the ball we are back to providing powder puff resistance as seen in the number of shots we are conceding on goal. On a likely boggy pitch at Leeds I'd like to see us matching them physically for starters, keeping our shape and try and nick some breakaway chances.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2021, 02:54:11 PM »
Not looking forward to this at all. They've had the edge on us head to head the year we went up and the game at Villa Park. Add Jack missing and I fear the worst. Plus I live in Leeds so will be getting a lot of correspondence of some form or another should the worst happen. Please surprise me Villa.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2021, 02:59:09 PM »
just please win this Villa....Dirty, horrible Leeds nil please...

UTV
The Doc

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2021, 03:32:06 PM »
We're playing away, we'll be okay. That said, they are our bogey side though our record there is more than decent from what I recall, so probably a draw.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2021, 03:59:40 PM »
You just get the feeling this season would be a missed opportunity not to have a real go. Are Arsenal, Spurs (and even Liverpool) going to be this inconsistent next season with proper home advantage?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2021, 04:04:39 PM »
Sometimes you have to be big enough to accept another team will give you major issues and tweak side to counter that.

We've generally struggled v Leeds in recent times. We were playing fine v them at VP and then they sent on a 19 year old and completely destroyed Elmohamady second half and the 2 nil changed to 3-2 when it was preventable.

Game earlier this season was end to end but we badly needed the first goal, didn't get it and then Leeds smothered us pretty comfortably.

We do the usual stuff like Ross Barkley starting and this will go the same way. Sanson is well overdue a start and I wouldn't be against Ramsey getting a start aswell just to give the midfield area some freshness and a bit more mobility as you need to be prepared to run for 90 minutes if you want to take some points off Leeds.

Pretty sobering they'll go above us if they win albeit with us having some games in hand. Hopefully that prospect will get Dean focused as it was a pretty lazy selection v Leicester and the first half said it all.

I think we'll get a point.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2021, 06:12:39 PM »
Second season back up, 4 points off a top 6 place and and people are trying to look at the negatives, in a so far very promising season, which let's be honest, no-one really expected. Even Jack said in an interview he expected around a top 10 finish. The players have all done so well. We were bound to hit some bumpy patches along the way, that was enivetiable but hopefully as we go along, we'll learn from them. I'm enjoying it, I'm sure most are.
Totally agree with this. I can’t believe what I’m reading sometimes. We’ve just lost to an outstanding team but only by one goal despite playing our worst football of the season. Why have Leeds suddenly taken on Man City proportions??? I’m thinking a convincing Villa win. We’re currently 8th not 28th

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2021, 06:44:41 PM »
OK Dave, just pick the games you like that prove that we're playing really well, and everything's great. It really is no skin off my nose.

"Yes, you're right, everything's great" really is the Godwin's Law of H&V. As is always the case, nobody's claimed that everything's great. We're in a sticky patch during a season that has overall been better than expected and has at times been beyond our wildest dreams. Why anyone would want to go out of their way to put a negative spin on it is beyond me. 

All anybody has done is discuss that sticky patch and the reasons for it. As usual though, you almsot seem to see having a different opinion as a personal affront.

"As usual" = I have a different view to you.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal