collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Dave
[Today at 10:18:54 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: ANDY LOCHHEAD - 80 NEXT MONTH - LET'S SALUTE HIM  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Clarence Blue

ANDY LOCHHEAD - 80 NEXT MONTH - LET'S SALUTE HIM
« on: February 19, 2021, 12:24:43 PM »
ANDY LOCHHEAD – 80 NEXT MONTH – CARDS AND GREETINGS?

For Villa fans of a certain vintage, like me, Andy Lochhead has a special place in our memories. He arrived at a low point in our history, in the third tier. For the next two seasons his battering ram style, dogged persistence, skill, not least in the air, and prolific goalscoring helped turn our fortunes around. The start of the magical journey through the 1970s.

Two contests stand out, encompassing three matches. Games that anyone privileged to be there, like me, will never forget. The 2 legged League Cup semi final against star-studded Man Utd, with Kidd, Charlton, Best and all. Andy put us in front at Old Trafford, as we came away with a hard earned 1-1 draw.

The return at Villa Park, in front of a 62,500 capacity crowd, still makes the hairs stand up 50 years on. At 1-2 down on aggregate from a Kidd goal after 12 minutes, we gradually ramped up the pressure as we attacked the Holte in the first half. A cross from the right from Godfrey and Lochhead soared a foot higher than their centre back to find the far corner of the net. The game went to and fro in the second half, until 10 minutes from time, when a McMahon header broke their resistance…Wembley here we come!

Then just over a year later, the promotion showdown with a talented and skilful Bournemouth side. Outplayed and 0-1 down, we attacked the Holte in the 2nd half and gradually stirred ourselves. The 48,000+ crowd roaring them on, it was Andy again, volleying the equalizer, who set us on our way. A few minutes later, to deafening noise, the winner went in and we never looked back from there.

SEE EXTRACTS FROM MY SCRAPBOOK BELOW

Several years after leaving Villa, Andy returned to Villa Park as coach of Oldham Athletic. The moment he emerged from the tunnel, the stadium rose in an ovation to the Old War Horse, all the way to the half way line. As he took his dugout place, the Holte End roared out one last time…”We’ve got Andy, Andy Lochhead in the air, in the air…”.
 I’d be happy to receive, parcel up and forward on a package of birthday cards and thank you’s * to Andy, as he celebrates this milestone. * All sanitized first of course. 

ANYONE IN??   COYL.

Offline dcdavecollett

Re: ANDY LOCHHEAD - 80 NEXT MONTH - LET'S SALUTE HIM
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 01:06:37 AM »
Great memories of Andy, Clarence!!

His goal against the Cherries was the winner, btw.

Offline Clarence Blue

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 09:12:36 AM »
Thanks Dave, glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, I realised soon after I posted that Vowden got the equaliser and Andy the winner....D'oh....you wouldn't think I was there.  :-[

What 50 years does to the memory   ;D

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2021, 10:51:29 AM »
Andy actually arrived in February 1970 and played 12 games for us in the relegation season not once troubling the goalkeepers
to pick anything out the back of their nets in those 12 games. We paid £35k for him to try and save us....not the greatest of starts.

The rest is history and will as CB said he will be remembered forever for his role in bringing our club back from obscurity, certainly to those
of a certain age.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2021, 11:17:50 AM »
An early hero of mine from the third division days.
Happy 80th Andy Lochhead...in the air!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 11:33:58 AM »
I reckon most fans under 30 have a difficulty in grasping the number 9 position. The Centre forward. I am sure if you google it it should say: Andy Lochhead. However as good as he was with his head he was not all that on the floor. I wish he had hit that shot properly in the Cup final.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 03:43:27 PM »
As PGW says he took a bit of time to get off the mark. When he finally did score in a 3-2 home win over Doncaster, he added a 2nd and never looked back. I expect there was the odd letter in the Evening Mail & Argus about his lack of goals, these days it would be a daily barrage on the internet to drop him or sell him.

As regards the Perryman clearance in the 1971 league cup final, Andy was expecting the referee to blow up for a foul and only half hit the shot.

My other memory was his hat trick away to Oldham in a 6-0 victory. Bruce Rioch got two and Willie Anderson the other, Jim Cumbes made his Villa debut in goal.

Offline PGW

• Villan, Bear and now Cancer Warrior
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 07:59:40 PM »
As PGW says he took a bit of time to get off the mark. When he finally did score in a 3-2 home win over Doncaster, he added a 2nd and never looked back. I expect there was the odd letter in the Evening Mail & Argus about his lack of goals, these days it would be a daily barrage on the internet to drop him or sell him.

As regards the Perryman clearance in the 1971 league cup final, Andy was expecting the referee to blow up for a foul and only half hit the shot.

My other memory was his hat trick away to Oldham in a 6-0 victory. Bruce Rioch got two and Willie Anderson the other, Jim Cumbes made his Villa debut in goal.
I was at that Oldham game, it was the week after we lost in 1st Rd of FA Cup away at Southend, all my mates said sod that about the Oldham trip, and i
went on my own. Memorable game but awful weather...pissed down most of the game.

Offline Clarence Blue

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 10:30:14 PM »
One goal he scored, in that home game against Doncaster, was one of the longest range headers I've seen. It was at the Witton End, from an innocuous cross that made it hard to get much momentum behind it. Yet Andy twisted his neck muscles and timed the header so well that it looped into the net from at least 18 yards out.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2021, 11:40:29 PM »
That was his first-ever Villa goal!

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2021, 11:55:23 PM »
My Dad absolutely loved him. I don't think I saw him play . I don't know what my first game was . On the Witton End circa 1973/4 maybe later , so maybe I did. I know Charlie Aitken was playing, as I asked my Dad to pick me up and point the great man out (I was five , and my Mom had told me about Charlie before I left for the game).

Anyway , I bought a book by Colin Abbott " Encounters of the Third Kind ". At a book signing Jim Coombes , Jake Findlay and Big Andy (amongst other ex players) were in the Villa shop signing the book. I approached Andy , and told him he was was my late Fathers favourite ever Villa player. I opened the book on a page which had a picture of him lying prostrate on the ground and asked him to to sign it. He duly signed it , looked at me and said " Typical picture of me  on my arse !"  I  know my Dad would have definitely disagreed !!!

Offline steamer

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2021, 05:21:53 AM »
I shared most of the memories on here
two other memories, him protecting Brian Little from 3rd Division bruisers
Then him returning to VP as manager for Oldham in a league cup game, the Holte roaring out, Andy, Andy Lochhead , Andy Lochhead in the air.
All very emotional, we won 2-0 and I think he got sacked not long after

Online Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 10:04:25 AM »
Happy birthday Andy 80 today, in the 64 years I've been following the club not seen a braver player wear the Villa shirt than Andy, he gave absolutely everything for the club. One of the most popular Villa players ever, never forget the reception he got when he returned to VP with Oldham, likewise at the Villa Park centenary celebrations in 97.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 11:49:53 PM »
Happy birthday, Andy.

Thanks for all those happy memories of your time here, even the long runs without a goal.

The first steps in arresting our long decline, and you were a big part of that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal