collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Champions League restructuring  (Read 118133 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Champions League restructuring
« Reply #855 on: April 19, 2021, 11:02:56 PM »
The main instigators seem to be Man U, Real Madrid and Juventus. So one third American, for what it's worth.

I can't imagine Juventus have much clout in the scheme of things.  You need the big earners to pull this off and get the backers

Offline Clive W

« Reply #856 on: April 19, 2021, 11:04:28 PM »
The main instigators seem to be Man U, Real Madrid and Juventus. So one third American, for what it's worth.
From what I’ve read it’s Real Madrid and Barcelona who have been driving this out of pure desperation. Mired in debt, with Barca unable to pay staff and player’s wages and outstanding transfer fees

They see this as the only way to avoid the financial day of reckoning.

A nice upfront loan of £300m from JP Morgan would go someway to pay off the £500m Barca have to repay to the banks this year alone

Barca’s total debt was about £1b in December and this will only have increased with no fans in the stadium

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #857 on: April 19, 2021, 11:04:51 PM »
Yes, BBC Sport suggested he had strongly opposed the league, he had done nothing of the sort.
He behaved like a totally evasive ******  during his pre-match interview.

I’m not sure he did. I thought he probably went as far as he could at this time.
I am struggling to identify anything Bingo said against the proposals.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #858 on: April 19, 2021, 11:06:03 PM »
There is a lot of liquidity out there looking for yield and JP Morgan is the conduit not the principal.
A fool and his money. 

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #859 on: April 19, 2021, 11:07:20 PM »
Andrea Agnelli, Juventus chairman, is the main ****** in chief along with the Glazers.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #860 on: April 19, 2021, 11:08:39 PM »
From what I’ve read it’s Real Madrid and Barcelona who have been driving this out of pure desperation. Mired in debt, with Barca unable to pay staff and player’s wages and outstanding transfer fees

A nice upfront loan of £300m from JP Morgan would go someway to pay off the £500m Barca have to repay to the banks this year alone

Barca’s total debt was about £1b in December and this will only have increased with no fans in the stadium

That's certainly a factor, and I don't imagine Barcelona needed much persuasion. But Perez, Agnelli and Glazier seem to have been the main players pushing for it, and have been named as President and two Vice Presidents of the league.

Offline john2710

« Reply #861 on: April 19, 2021, 11:10:25 PM »
These 6 clubs need the Premier League & the Premier League need these 6 clubs. Neither will flourish without the other.

There will be some threats, bargaining etc & eventually the Champions League will be modified as a compromise. Individual clubs will get more income from TV rights. But competition must at least be seen to exist, even if it doesn’t.

Listening to Oliver Dowden in parliament today, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything less sincere or unconvincing in my life. Watching a Tory minister talk lovingly about the cultural values of football was sickening.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #862 on: April 19, 2021, 11:11:28 PM »

That's certainly a factor, and I don't imagine Barcelona needed much persuasion, but Perez, Agnelli and Glazier seem to have been the main players pushing for it, and have been named as President and two Vice Presidents of the league.

Yes I think RM (ie Perez) has been pushing this for years

Didn’t he change the club constitution to enable him to remain president for life?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #863 on: April 19, 2021, 11:11:33 PM »
There won't be compromise now. The only options are expulsion or pathetic capitulation.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #864 on: April 19, 2021, 11:12:24 PM »
Andrea Agnelli, Juventus chairman, is the main ****** in chief along with the Glazers.

If you look at the revenue earners they've basically got the top 8, the glaring omissions are Munich and PSG. Juventus are 11th with the other Italian clubs lower.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #865 on: April 19, 2021, 11:13:11 PM »

That's certainly a factor, and I don't imagine Barcelona needed much persuasion, but Perez, Agnelli and Glazier seem to have been the main players pushing for it, and have been named as President and two Vice Presidents of the league.

Didn’t he change the club constitution to enable him to remain president for life?

Ha! I've not heard that. I wonder if he ever claimed to have invented el patada de bicicleta?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #866 on: April 19, 2021, 11:13:48 PM »
JP Morgan don't always get it right.

The man himself often did e.g. "Nothing so undermines your financial judgement as the sight of your neighbour getting rich" or perhaps more aptly “When a man abuses his power, he loses it.”

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #867 on: April 19, 2021, 11:14:04 PM »
(If that doesn't make sense blame Google Translate. And Starmer).

Offline Clive W

« Reply #868 on: April 19, 2021, 11:17:08 PM »

Ha! I've not heard that. I wonder if he ever claimed to have invented el patada de bicicleta?

Excellent!!

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #869 on: April 19, 2021, 11:18:05 PM »
I'm looking forward to see if Spurs can get a manager, any manager. They'll have to have some neck to take it right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal