collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How good are we really  (Read 2332 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: How good are we really
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2021, 02:22:19 PM »
Shit apparently - read that last night.
Well we were shit last night tbf.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2021, 02:24:06 PM »
We can and probably will finish 9th or 8th.

I think that's most realistic and would be a very good season given where we were at start of July 2020 when even staying up seemed remote prospect.

Nothing wrong with thinking we can still do a little better though. It's like at the start of each MON season most predicting we'd finish between 5th-7th and then opportunity opens up to finish top 4 and we can't quite take it and then being disappointed.

I'm sure we'll sign some more good players in the summer but my hunch is next season the top 6 won't be as close as it is now as generally the top sides get their s*** together after lacklustre season and bounce back strongly so this is odd and unique season and opportunity to do something we haven't for a long while.

It would be. A shame COVID struck when it did as I think we'd have beat Liverpool in the cup.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2021, 03:28:33 PM »
We've got a 1st XI that can give anyone a game and on its day can be top 6 but otherwise comfortable top 10..
We've got a Match day 18 that is approaching mid table standard (8-11).
We've got a mid-lower table (11-14) 25 man squad.

We're light upfront and have a slightly "soft" midfield, I'm less concerned about the defence and keepers.

Considering when we got promoted we had a bottom 6 XI, matchday 18 and squad, the progress is astonishing.

To improve we need to make better use of Grealish, in my view he's easily restricted if we keep him as an attacking left midfielder, sign a world class striker £40-£50m worth and upgrade El Ghazi, Trez and Traore over the next 3 summer windows, and make some tough decisions on our midfield structure, in my view McGinn would be a squad player if we want to progress. I'm on the fence on Barkley, not sure he's quite got the work ethic Smith requires.

This isn't a kneejerk reaction to last night just some thoughts from the first half of the season.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2021, 03:32:31 PM »
We've got a 1st XI that can give anyone a game and on its day can be top 6 but otherwise comfortable top 10..

We're light upfront and have a slightly "soft" midfield, I'm less concerned about the defence and keepers.

Considering when we got promoted we had a bottom 6 XI, matchday 18 and squad, the progress is astonishing.

To improve we need to make better use of Grealish, in my view he's easily restricted if we keep him as an attacking left midfielder, sign a world class striker £40-£50m worth and upgrade El Ghazi, Trez and Traore over the next 3 summer windows, and make some tough decisions on our midfield structure, in my view McGinn would be a squad player if we want to progress. I'm on the fence on Barkley, not sure he's quite got the work ethic Smith requires.

This isn't a kneejerk reaction to last night just some thoughts from the first half of the season.
3 summer windows ? Well we have needed to replace Jack by then, can not see him hanging around that long.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2021, 03:36:01 PM »

3 summer windows ? Well we have needed to replace Jack by then, can not see him hanging around that long.

Bearing in mind those are squad players I'd say replacing gradually and utilising our funds for the major striking and central midfield purchases would be a sensible approach. In my view if we haven't cracked top 6/Europe by summer 2022 then Jack will leave at that point.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2021, 03:39:21 PM »
We are a good team compared to last season I think we will only get better.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 03:44:42 PM »
We have made good progress but the team that almost got relegated last season has nothing suddenly morphed into Bayern Munich despite some quality additions. Finishing 10th would be very good.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 03:47:31 PM »
Mid-table at the moment is the honest assessment, but with the potential to be much better on our day.

In many ways I feel like our position currently is similar to the one we were in during Big Ron's first season in charge.  We are capable of beating anyone at our best, and by and large are competitive with everyone, but we are subject to having the odd stinker.  Some of this is because the players are still getting used to one another, and some is because we probably still don't have the strength in depth we need beyond the first 11.

The good thing is, though, that we no longer need to be filling the squad with 5 or 6 players each window.  I'm quite excited for the summer now because we have the opportunity to bring in the 2 or 3 top class players we need to see us challenging.  Under Ron, when Saunders or Atkinson got injured or went off the boil we had Dwight Yorke to bring in.  We also had players like Ugo, Neil Cox, Tony Daley and Steve Froggatt in the squad (at a time when you only had 3 subs) to keep the players on their toes.

That is the challenge for us now, to have genuine contenders for first team status to be on the bench and keep everyone on their toes.  Hopefully Sanson and Ramsey being there will give Barkley and McGinn a bit of a kick up the backside (which is needed based on last night), and then higher quality on the bench is needed at centre-half, full back and up front.  Do that and we could be proper contenders next season.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 04:05:27 PM »
Solid mid table team, capable of beating anyone on our day with good football. Capable of getting beaten by anyone too and a bit of a soft touch physically let's be honest. It's certainly a big improvement but given the money we spent in comparison to most other teams, that's where I expected we would be aiming.

Need to get a bit more street wise on the pitch and sideline in terms of reacting to things that might go against us. Conceding first for example. Still think our midfield setup is a bit naive at times and the form of Luiz/McGinn isn't where it needs to be consistently. Another worry is the reliance on Jack, if he is blotted out we really don't have anyone else capable of stepping up.

A very bad night last night so important we get a good performance v Arsenal to set us up for the more genteel one game per week until season end.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 04:37:07 PM »
I think we’re an exciting team who I enjoy watching (last night excepted!). We just need to learn to adapt a bit better, that’s both tactically and also in the use of our personnel. I think at this time we’re probably between 7th-10th in the division.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 06:15:22 PM »
I think we’re an exciting team who I enjoy watching (last night excepted!). We just need to learn to adapt a bit better, that’s both tactically and also in the use of our personnel. I think at this time we’re probably between 7th-10th in the division.

Yes, pretty much my take. We've got a grip on the 'how' side of things, we've got to master the 'when's side, and that includes the players on the pitch and the management.

And that's not a criticism in any way, it's just part of the process, it takes time and to get from where we were to where we are now is worthy only of praise.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal