collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Introduction of Concussion Subs in the Premier League Starting 6th Feb 2021  (Read 2301 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Anybody who is substituted for potential concussion should have to sit out the next match as a precaution. Easiest way of making sure a worthy rule is not exploited.

Not sure I agree. You're effectively punishing players for getting clattered. I would be massively unimpressed to be without Grealish for a crucial game because we had just played Burnley or West Brom.

Leave it to independent doctors to make the decision and there should be no scope for cheating. You would need all thirty or so players and staff members to be involved in any such ploy, it would leak very quickly. Any doctor seen to have been involved would have their career ruined instantly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:02:17 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
Get the PGMOL involved. They’re as clean as their whistles.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Aston Villa Vs Arsenal on February 6 will be the first Premier League fixture under the new concussion sub regulations

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
No independant doctor is going to say, nah you're not concussed mate, get back on the field.

It won't be the likes of Warnock teams and the Baggies expoliting this - their benches aren't really deep enough.  If anybody 'makes the most' of the rule it will be the likes of Liverpool and City.

Overall I think it's a sensible idea.  I just hope it doesn't allow 5 subs to sneak in by the back door.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
No independant doctor is going to say, nah you're not concussed mate, get back on the field.

It won't be the likes of Warnock teams and the Baggies expoliting this - their benches aren't really deep enough.  If anybody 'makes the most' of the rule it will be the likes of Liverpool and City.

Overall I think it's a sensible idea.  I just hope it doesn't allow 5 subs to sneak in by the back door.

Guardiola and Mourinho be all over it. Though Mourinho moans either way and maybe this occasion he hasn't got the squad depth he has previous clubs.
Man Utd dark arts by very nature may exploit but yes hope genuinely used for positive well fare of players

The simple answer is to use the old Rugby Union rule. If you're diagnosed with concussion symptoms, you're automatically out for three weeks.

This would mean that the genuinely injured will get the rest they need and make managers think twice about gaming the system.

Offline luke95

Dermot Gallagher tried to explain how this is going to work on the football show earlier.

If VAR is complicated his explanation for concussion subs blew that out the water .

11.50ish on this mornings show if you want a catch up

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025

Guardiola and Mourinho be all over it. Though Mourinho moans either way and maybe this occasion he hasn't got the squad depth he has previous clubs.
Man Utd dark arts by very nature may exploit but yes hope genuinely used for positive well fare of players

The simple answer is to use the old Rugby Union rule. If you're diagnosed with concussion symptoms, you're automatically out for three weeks.

This would mean that the genuinely injured will get the rest they need and make managers think twice about gaming the system.

So if you play a bunch of cloggers like Burnley you could end up being without a star player for three weeks, even if he was perfectly fine to play? What a ridiculous idea. We are supposed to be supporting players with concussion, not punishing them for being elbowed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal