collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Orient v Villa on The Big Match  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
Orient v Villa on The Big Match
« on: January 29, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »
IMG-7719" border="0

This was fun to watch. Even though the pitch was a quagmire, there was very little hoofball from both sides.

A very young Laurie Cunningham playing for Orient.

I found the number 10 and 11 for Orient amusingly named in a Greek myth sort of way.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 11:13:02 AM by Small Rodent »

Offline Paul T

Re: Orient v Villa on The Big Match
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 10:02:14 AM »
Was That the 1975 game when Orient won 1-0 ?
Went to that game as a 15 year old. Suddenly feel old.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 10:39:13 PM »
Yes, a 1-0 defeat.

Villa then won the next eight games to clinch promotion, the margin of victory always being at least two goals.

It was a Brian Little festival!

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:52:13 AM »
Must be around 1975, as that McDonald (Bobby?) Is playing and I don't think he had thay many appearances for us. Think he may have played in the League Cup Final for us though.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 10:46:18 AM »
Bobby McDonald was a really good player, especially influential on the left side of midfield in that promotion winning side.  He was sold far too early I always thought, to Coventry, I think there was something about him that Ron Saunders didn't like, but he went on to do really well, at Coventry and Manchester City.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 04:08:43 PM »
he was on the pop

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 04:10:17 PM »
Must be around 1975, as that McDonald (Bobby?) Is playing and I don't think he had thay many appearances for us. Think he may have played in the League Cup Final for us though.

He played while John Gidman was recovering from his firework accident.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 04:21:41 PM »
The season before was a much more entertaining game and I ended up on the pitch -when Graydon scored and stopped them from going up - the friday night game

Offline Holte132

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 04:29:42 PM »
Look at their number 2 - Grealish! 

From wiki: Born in Paddington, London, Tony Grealish played club football for Leyton Orient, Luton Town, Brighton & Hove Albion, West Bromwich Albion, Manchester City, Rotherham United, Walsall and Bromsgrove Rovers. Grealish captained Brighton in the 1983 FA Cup Final.  Died in 2013 aged only 56

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 05:02:39 PM »
The season before was a much more entertaining game and I ended up on the pitch -when Graydon scored and stopped them from going up - the friday night game

I was at that 1974 game. Orient needed to win to go up and it was a dead rubber for us. Almost 30,000 in Brisbane Road, not many Villa there. We played like our lives depended on it and it meant Carlisle went up (who we lost to the previous Saturday at Brunton Park). Loads of West Ham outside after looking for trouble, kept my head down and my mouth shut. Vic Crowes last game in charge.

I had a ticket for the Cup final the next day. Liverpool walkover against Newcastle.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:12:05 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 11:54:29 PM »
Look at their number 2 - Grealish! 

From wiki: Born in Paddington, London, Tony Grealish played club football for Leyton Orient, Luton Town, Brighton & Hove Albion, West Bromwich Albion, Manchester City, Rotherham United, Walsall and Bromsgrove Rovers. Grealish captained Brighton in the 1983 FA Cup Final.  Died in 2013 aged only 56

Uncle to the rapper, Example.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 01:47:46 AM »
It  was John Robson who took Giddy's place at right back; Charlie stayed at left, and Bobby prompted from midfield.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 01:54:44 AM »
It  was John Robson who took Giddy's place at right back; Charlie stayed at left, and Bobby prompted from midfield.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Robson started the season in midfield then moved to right back after November 5th.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 07:59:20 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Robson started the season in midfield then moved to right back after November 5th.

An accomplished full-back, Robson had played more than 200 times for Derby when manager Vic Crowe brought him to Villa Park just before Christmas in 1972 after agreeing to pay £90,000.

A tough tackler, he quickly settled into life in the Midlands and put in a string of impressive displays.

And the following season he transformed into an equally fine midfielder following the emergence of John Gidman at right-back.

In the 1974-75 campaign, he missed just one of Villa's league and cup matches as they won promotion to the top flight and lifted the League Cup by beating Norwich City at Wembley.

That season Robson had started in midfield but he reverted back to being a defender, after Gidman suffered a serious eye injury following a a firework accident.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2016/04/04/glittering-highs-and-sad-lows-for-john-robson/

The John Robson International XI in the dressing-room at Villa Park prior to the John Robson Testimonial match against Aston Villa, 30th October 1978. Villa defender John Robson (wearing the dark suit, front row) had been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis forcing his early retirement from football. Also on the front row (left-right) Kenny Sansom, Osvaldo Ardiles, John Robson, Lou Macari, Alan Buckley, Kenny Dalglish and Bill Shorthouse. Behind them (left-right): Chris Nicholl, Gordon Hill, Trevor Brooking, Martin Buchan, Ian Gillard, Duncan McKenzie, Ray Clemence, Tommy Hutchison, Ian Wallace, and Jimmy Calderwood.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 07:49:06 PM »

I was at that 1974 game. Orient needed to win to go up and it was a dead rubber for us. Almost 30,000 in Brisbane Road, not many Villa there. We played like our lives depended on it and it meant Carlisle went up (who we lost to the previous Saturday at Brunton Park). Loads of West Ham outside after looking for trouble, kept my head down and my mouth shut. Vic Crowes last game in charge.

I had a ticket for the Cup final the next day. Liverpool walkover against Newcastle.

We took the lead, I remember that then were on the back foot rest of game, Orient wore sock tabs.  Would have thought it was there last 30,000 attendance including West Ham and Man Utd.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal