collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burnley vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 18878 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Burnley vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2021, 10:48:24 AM »
The galling thing about the goal from the corner was that there were two Burnley players attacking the ball against none of ours. You play all that silky, sexy football and then throw it away for a shittily won corner (Wood outmuscled Mings but he also could have been penalised for shirt-pulling) and a simple unmarked header.

I also blame Conor McNamara...he was on about the commentators curse in another recent Villa game he covered. First he bangs on about Villa never giving up a lead this season and Burnley never coming from behind to win (to which Stephen Warnock rightly poured scorn over) and secondly, just as Burnley won that corner (typically, it was their first of the game) he was waxing lyrical about how better we were playing. Just shut the fcuk up in future Conor or even better, stay away from our games. Clive Tyldesley is still weeping somewhere about being dumped by ITV, bring him in out of the cold and see how he does.
I'm glad you've nailed it eamonn. People can now get off Tyrone, Barkley and Traore's backs. It was Conor McNamara's fault.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »
The galling thing about the goal from the corner was that there were two Burnley players attacking the ball against none of ours.

I half watched one of their games about a month back (not 100% sure who against, possibly Wolves) and this was a definitive corner kick tactic if theres, somebody close enough to block the keeper coming out, runners blocking off the better headerers so that Mee and Tarkowski can attack the far end of the 6 yard box together. They won headers on almost every corner doing this.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 11:12:22 AM by LukeJames »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2021, 11:06:42 AM »
Hard to fathom how we didn't win that with something to spare on the balance of play and chances created. We did play excellent football for a lot of that game. But Burnley did pick up in the second half, Luiz was poor throughout really but McGinn disappeared. Cork gave them more of a foothold in midfield. Aside from conceding three goals, biggest moan for me was the age old problem of the timing of Deanos subs. At 2-1 up, those subs should be made. Traore was squandering numerous openings and Barkley was running out of gas. Making those subs at 82mins when 3-2 down is not giving AEG and Trez much of a chance. Throwing Davis on seemed to push Jack to a holding midfielder role. That's ridiculous.

Martinez 5 - maybe harsh but I wasn't happy with him for the second or third goals. His centre halves did him no favour for the second one but his footwork was slow for their winner.
Cash 5 - a popular player on here but continues to be average defensively for me. Found McNeill a real problem in the second half
Konsa 6 - out of position for the second goal and struggled a bit with the physicality of it at times
Mings 7 - one of his better games but not happy at all with him for the second goal, for me he half bottled out of diving at that cross to avoid an own goal
Targett 7 - beaten in the air for the winner which spoiled a fine performance, another assist. Took wrong option with that shot in first half
Luiz 5 - complete passenger first half, not at the pace of game at all. Loose touches, very rarely tried to get the ball from the back and beaten in many physical exchanges
McGinn 6 - decent first half (his ball put Watkins clear didn't it?) but totally anonymous after half time. Needs to up it
Traore 6 - squandered so many chances and openings. An enigma really and should have been hooked at least 10 mins earlier
Barkley 6 - much better than last two games, ball hogging as always but influential and very unlucky to hit bar. Tired and hooked a little too late
Jack 9 - best player in the league, we completely mismanaged his role last 10 mins.
Watkins 8 - brilliant for most of the game before tiring late on. Lovely finish, poor effort on the one on one but always a threat

Subs AEG looked lively but not given enough time. Trez hardly had a kick and poor old Davis first touch was horrid

Surely Luiz deserves credit for a fantastic assist for Grealish.

Perhaps, would prefer him to be sticking to his task more though as the holding midfielder. Not courageous enough with or without the ball last night for me. Also if Cash needs help, surely Luiz should be spotting that and dealing with it. Two poor games back to back from him.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2021, 11:09:33 AM »
Bogey teams come and go, expect for Newton Heath perhaps.

I remember Notts County being a particular pain in the arse, Wimbledon, Oldham, Palace.

Perhaps we have a new one in Burnley given the last two games agin them.
Boro

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #259 on: January 28, 2021, 11:23:26 AM »
Still can't believe we lost it.  Makes me feel sick thinking how we managed to pull that off.  Thought Luiz and Traore were not in it for long enough with Barkley having a so so game too.  I want to say great things about us after the first half but it's all soured by what happened in the 2nd half.  jack can hold his head high though, he was outstanding.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »
The galling thing about the goal from the corner was that there were two Burnley players attacking the ball against none of ours.

I half watched one of their games about a month back (not 100% sure who against, possibly Wolves) and this was a definitive corner kick tactic if theres, somebody close enough to block the keeper coming out, runners blocking off the better headerers so that Mee and Tarkowski can attack the far end of the 6 yard box together. They won headers on almost every corner doing this.
I hadn't noticed that before but you're right and it would appear our coaching staff missed this or are relying on zonal marking to deal with it.We had nobody even marking Mee & Tarkowski and Targett trying to stop Woods for their winner. Burnley are obviously using this ploy when they play teams that rely on zonal marking. As good as our defending has been this season this is clearly a problem area that needs addressing. This quote fro Dean Smith is quite telling:
"the attacking play was what I expect with the quality of players we have. What I don't expect is the defending for their goals"
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 11:40:40 AM by The Edge »

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #261 on: January 28, 2021, 11:37:27 AM »
Respect to the way Dean has turned things round (largely) since the re-start last June, but last night was a huge reality check. We are a long away from being a top ten side. what really pisses me off his brushing aside one antediluvian on Saturday and being out thought by another a few days later.
'Huge reality check' is a little strong. We are tenth right now.
We are still in transition - this time last year were about to dip into a horrible run of relegation-leading form. A feature of transitions is inconsistency (last Saturday vs last night) and 'bad luck' (refereeing in both Manchester games).
It will get better.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #262 on: January 28, 2021, 11:44:40 AM »

If there’s one team I hate, it’s Burnley. Possibly due to what that bastard Mee did and got away with. Yet again, we needed to be more clinical. They rely on Pope to get themselves out of trouble far too much.

I dislike them too and probably for that reason. Hopefully, a proper team buys Pope in the summer and they get relegated next season. Still time for it this season too.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #263 on: January 28, 2021, 11:48:34 AM »
If we are going to get a bigger, stronger squad - and Samson would appear to be a part of this - then Dean will have to change his mentality regarding substitutions.  Having players on the bench who are as good as, or maybe even better, than those on the field should be used particularly when tiredness starts to come in or the opposition change their tactics and start to dominate areas of the field.  This should have happened last night in respect of Barklay and Traore in particular but maybe others as well.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #264 on: January 28, 2021, 11:55:06 AM »
Respect to the way Dean has turned things round (largely) since the re-start last June, but last night was a huge reality check. We are a long away from being a top ten side. what really pisses me off his brushing aside one antediluvian on Saturday and being out thought by another a few days later.
'Huge reality check' is a little strong. We are tenth right now.
We are still in transition - this time last year were about to dip into a horrible run of relegation-leading form. A feature of transitions is inconsistency (last Saturday vs last night) and 'bad luck' (refereeing in both Manchester games).
It will get better.

I would say "reality check" on our European daydreams. It can still very much happen, but even top ten is a triumph after last season.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2021, 12:17:06 PM »
XG

Burnley 0.77 v 2.94 Villa

Says it all again. Need to be more clinical up front and that would negate the defensive stuff. That second goal was a freak and the others disappointing.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #266 on: January 28, 2021, 12:39:50 PM »

Why do you only ever come on here after matches we lose?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #267 on: January 28, 2021, 12:58:07 PM »
I've just watched the highlights again. Put me off my lunch.

The 1st was shit and a recurrence of problems we've had before. Their 2nd was just a fluke and the 3rd was just one of them, could have done better but his header went in the only place it could have resulted in a goal.

As for Pope, great saves.

We looked great at times, really smooth.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #268 on: January 28, 2021, 01:02:18 PM »
That felt like the Stoke 2-2.

Still think West Ham was worse with the missed penalty and then the VAR robbery at the end.

We came back strongly at Wolves nearly two weeks later so let's see if we can do the same at Southmapton, disciplined performance required even if it means we sacrifice a bit of attacking intent.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #269 on: January 28, 2021, 01:03:10 PM »
A win there and we're at 32 at the turn. 3 less points than we got last season. Not bad, but there is definitely room for bolts to be tightened.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal