collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 07:02:22 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by JD
[Today at 05:32:46 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Hillbilly
[Today at 04:32:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Offside  (Read 12501 times)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Offside
« on: January 24, 2021, 06:46:58 AM »
Can someone tell me when this law changed to include the “defender deliberately playing the ball” rubbish. The Watkins goal last night didn’t need to be checked because of the defenders touch?? He looked behind the ball tbf.

Offline TelfordVilla

Re: Offside
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 08:01:13 AM »
2017 but it isnt that the law has changed, they just added this bit. Google law 11. It says an offside player is not given offside until he becomes active in the play. He becomes active if he challenges an opponent for the ball (man city) however if he receives the ball after it has been played by an opponent(newcastle) he is not given offside. Watkins didn't challenge for the ball, it came through to him from an opponent so it was a legal goal........rodri on the other hand did challenge for the ball and should have been given offside. Error pure and simple then covered up by the PGM spokesman and media fools like lineker and savage etc

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 08:15:47 AM »
Exactly Telford.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 08:41:51 AM »
I think Mings touched the ball before Rhodri challenged for it, so his touch put Rhodri onside enabling him to rob Mings from an onside position.

Personally I think a player who has been offside cannot get involved in that phase of play but this would need a rule change.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2021, 08:46:17 AM »
Totally wrong. Couldn't be more wrong. Where do you get this stuff from

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 08:48:47 AM »
Please read law 11 before making any further comment. It only takes a minute.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 08:52:50 AM »
I'm with you TV

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 09:01:04 AM »
Thanks pal. It's one of them, when you can see it, its so clear. Difficult to understand why people have trouble with it.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 09:08:49 AM »
I did read the law, took 2 minutes.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent. “

My reading is that if Rhodri tackles Mings from an offside position - he’s offside.

But, as per the above quote, if Mings touches it THEN Rhodri tackles him, it’s ok.

I came on this thread for clarity. Where is my interpretation wrong?

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 09:44:38 AM »
I posted in the match thread that I thought Ollie was offside at the point where Targett put in the cross. Many people were saying no because the defender touched the ball deliberately. So have I got this right now? A striker can be offside when the ball is played to him but only if the ball goes straight to him. He can be offside by miles but if a defender touches it before it reaches him that negates him being offside and the goal stands? If so what have they done? Ollie's disallowed goal at West Ham was denied by the tiniest of margins but last night he was clearly ahead of the defender it's ok because the defender got a touch on the ball. Ffs what's going on?

Offline Clive W

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 10:04:40 AM »
The key word in Law 11 is “receive”

It requires a remarkable contortion of the English language to conclude that Rhodri “received” the ball from Mings. He clearly took it and Mings tried to prevent it.

Offline colin69

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 10:05:02 AM »
I remember taking my girlfriend (now wife) to a couple of games at Villa Park in the 89/90 season and trying to explain offside to her. It seemed so simple to try and explain it back then.
I wouldn’t know where to start now.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
I remember taking my girlfriend (now wife) to a couple of games at Villa Park in the 89/90 season and trying to explain offside to her. It seemed so simple to try and explain it back then.
I wouldn’t know where to start now.
But I bet she still doesn’t understand LBW

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2021, 10:09:22 AM »
I did read the law, took 2 minutes.

A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent. “

My reading is that if Rhodri tackles Mings from an offside position - he’s offside.

But, as per the above quote, if Mings touches it THEN Rhodri tackles him, it’s ok.

I came on this thread for clarity. Where is my interpretation wrong?

The attacking player isn't allowed to try to tackle the defender, which is what Rodri did. Simply receiving the ball as in Mings' case doesn't make the attacker onside. He then has to give the ball to the attacker, which Schär did last night.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2021, 10:18:23 AM »
It's a bollocks law. The Newcastle defender wouldn't have touched it if Watkins hadn't been there. Therefore Watkins has gained an advantage by being offside.

However, Watkins was level with the ball when it was initially crossed so shouldn't have been offside anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal