collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Man Citeh XIV 2 v Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread.  (Read 16437 times)

Offline Flamingo Lane

Re: Man Citeh XIV 2 v Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread.
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2021, 10:45:59 AM »
On Saturday, to reinforce the absurdity of this decision, Smith should instruct Ollie Watkins (or any one of our players) to go and just stand in the Newcastle penalty box for the first 10 minutes of the game, and only move when the ball comes near him.  See what the referee (and the opposition) makes of that.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2021, 10:47:25 AM »
If you seriously think there isn’t the slightest bias towards the traditional sky four/six that has been going on since time immemorial then I think you are mistaken.  27 penalties for manure since clooob man joined alone is enough to determine it.  The only time I can think it’s worked against them this season was when Manure fan David Coote overruled Salahs ridiculous non offside against Everton.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:54:12 AM by kippaxvilla2 »

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2021, 11:02:58 AM »
12 Jan 2020 Villa 1 Man City 6

Re the above we gave one of the most pathetic performances, I have seen from a Villa side for a long time, just over 12 months later last night's performance just highlights the massive improvement we have made in that time. We were playing against the best team, by some margin presently in the league, and gave them one of the toughest games they've had all season.

Gotta mention Matt Target, absolutely superb last night, not only is he the most improved Villa player this season, but must also be one of the most improved players in the league, hopefully he'll be ok for Saturday.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2021, 11:07:19 AM »
Its that sort of season that I cant wait for the next game, championship era aside i probably havent felt like that since the O'Neill days.  I expect Saturday to be similar to the Palace game on Boxing Day or even the game against the Toon last season, score first and we will be in complete control (albeit with eleven men unlike the Palace game).

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2021, 11:24:00 AM »
This is just opening up another can of confusing worms, trying to justify shit decisions and mistakes, it's going to come back and haunt everyone and piss more and more people off when they get robbed by a top 6 wank decision themselves.

Only solution for us is to become a top 6 club! On our way!

Hopefully we will soon be in the top six but let’s face it we will never be “the top six”

Just as Leicester will never be in “the top six”

Why not? We used to be before someone arbitrarily decided it was Everton.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2021, 11:27:26 AM »

Re the above we gave one of the most pathetic performances, I have seen from a Villa side for a long time, just over 12 months later last night's performance just highlights the massive improvement we have made in that time. We were playing against the best team, by some margin presently in the league, and gave them one of the toughest games they've had all season.

Gotta mention Matt Target, absolutely superb last night, not only is he the most improved Villa player this season, but must also be one of the most improved players in the league, hopefully he'll be ok for Saturday.

Was just thinking that.  It took a blatant bit of cheating from the ref to break us down last night, after we'd had a few chances ourselves. Compare that to last season when they'd scored three goals before we'd even realised the game had started and we had that wanker Drinkwater hauling his shit self around the pitch.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2021, 11:37:35 AM »
Rodri gains an advantage from an offside position. Fact.

Any other "ifs, buts and maybes" don't come into it.

Does Rodri gain an advantage from an offside position?
Yes.
Then he's offside.

Not if he received the ball from a deliberate touch by Mings, in which case there is deemed no gaining of advantage. So onside if Mings had played it to him. This is what the PL are claiming. But he clearly didn't receive it from Mings he took it off his foot.
Rodri is able to "tackle" Mings because he has come from an offside position and takes advantage of that position to get the ball.....so as you say he didn't "receive" it from Mings......therefore.....offside.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2021, 11:53:25 AM »
I have said it before and i will say it again For some reason Aston Villa seem to play to a different set of rules to everyone else in the Premier  .Brighton,West Ham,Arsenal Man Utd and Man City are five matches this season that we have been on the wrong end of big decisions  I also notice the fat bastard Moss  did, not give City a single yellow card last night but could'nt get his cards out quick enough for McGinn, Taylor and of course a yellow then a red for Deano  As i said last night  Moss is up there along with Friend for his obvious anti bias towards Villa and shoud never be allowed to referee another Villa game

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »

Was just thinking that.  It took a blatant bit of cheating from the ref to break us down last night, after we'd had a few chances ourselves. Compare that to last season when they'd scored three goals before we'd even realised the game had started and we had that wanker Drinkwater hauling his shit self around the pitch.

It shouldn't, but thinking of that game makes me laugh as my brother had a fair wedge coming his way for the 6-0, then we got that consolation at the death.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2021, 12:06:00 PM »
I think there's another part that's being missed. When the ball is played Rodri is 15-20 yards from Mings but he then runs towards the ball clearly intending to challenge for it and is 3-4 yards away when Mings plays it, by his actions he's clearly involved in play and the tackle is just a continuation of it. Quoting a rule that was clearly written for different circumstances to justify it is ridiculous.

What's annoying me even more though is the amount of fans on twitter, etc who 'knew' that the rule was exactly as described and think Villa are just sulking about it as if they wouldn't have any complaints if it happened to them. I hope at least some of the more vocal ones get ripped to shreds next time they moan about a decision not going their way, hypocritical twats.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2021, 12:13:43 PM »
On Saturday, to reinforce the absurdity of this decision, Smith should instruct Ollie Watkins (or any one of our players) to go and just stand in the Newcastle penalty box for the first 10 minutes of the game, and only move when the ball comes near him.  See what the referee (and the opposition) makes of that.

What any striker should do now is just stalk the last defender and stand 4-5 yards behind him at all times.  Any time the ball goes anywhere near him stay offside, but then make the tackle as soon as he controls the ball.  You can guarantee the rule will be 'clarified' as soon as that starts happening, but only when it works to the advantage of someone other than the likes of Liverpool or Manure.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:17:56 PM by Pat Mustard »

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2021, 12:21:30 PM »
Last night's incident kind of reminded me of playing football in the park as a boy, with jumpers for goalposts.  Even then we were able to recognise the goal hanger for what he was, and invariably a lad with very few friends.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 12:23:28 PM by Flamingo Lane »

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »
I have said it before and i will say it again For some reason Aston Villa seem to play to a different set of rules to everyone else in the Premier  .Brighton,West Ham,Arsenal Man Utd and Man City are five matches this season that we have been on the wrong end of big decisions  I also notice the fat bastard Moss  did, not give City a single yellow card last night but could'nt get his cards out quick enough for McGinn, Taylor and of course a yellow then a red for Deano  As i said last night  Moss is up there along with Friend for his obvious anti bias towards Villa and shoud never be allowed to referee another Villa game

It's not just that but in at least two of those incidents it's as if they've had to re-write or re-interpret the rules on the hoof, and have then started interpreting things differently after that.  The Brighton pen didn't stand because it grazed the players toe as Trez knocked it past him.  He didn't win the ball or take it away from Trez, he barely touched it and Trez would have still been in control of it had he not been kicked.  he clearly impeded Trez.  Previously they had been saying it doesn't matter if you get the ball if your follow through is a foul.   I wonder if the pen had been give if he'd touched the ball but gone straight over the top and broke Trez's leg?  No foul cos he touched the ball?  Bollocks would it.  Ollie's goal at Spam was supposedly offside because of his arm and they are now less likely to consider the arm.  Then last night - and it arguably wasn't even the worst decision - there is no way that is a pen given that they are supposed to not give them if it's hit at the player form very short range.   

It does seem that if there is any room for interpretation or subjectivity at all, either at the time or in retrospect, it goes against Villa. You could even say the same about Mings red against Palace - if a Villa player had raised his hands like Zaha did on Mings he'd have been off. Zaha did similar in a subsequent game ang got away with it again.    I can only think of Fulham's disallowed goal that has gone in our favour this season - honestly can't think of another one that's gone our way.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2021, 01:05:40 PM »
The penalty decision was just as bad to be honest.  Cash was really close to the player, and had his back to him.  You know, exactly the sorts of decisions that they said wouldn't be given any more.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #239 on: January 21, 2021, 01:05:59 PM »

What any striker should do now is just stalk the last defender and stand 4-5 yards behind him at all times.  Any time the ball goes anywhere near him stay offside, but then make the tackle as soon as he controls the ball.  You can guarantee the rule will be 'clarified' as soon as that starts happening, but only when it works to the advantage of someone other than the likes of Liverpool or Manure.

2 min 05 for Dermot Gallagher comments
https://youtu.be/Vzcr0aSWvgU

NEw Phase?

The offside law makes no mention of phases :

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside#:~:text=A%20player%20is%20in%20an,and%20the%20second%2Dlast%20opponent

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal