collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Man Citeh XIV 2 v Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread.  (Read 16504 times)

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: Man Citeh XIV 2 v Aston Villa 0 Post Match Thread.
« Reply #210 on: January 21, 2021, 09:57:52 AM »
On seeing other examples of the rule in action, I can see the confusion on the deliberately playing the ball. Most examples is that unless it is blasted at the defender and deflects naturally then the attacker is onside. Anything where you go to control the ball (unless it is a goal line clearance) means it is onside. So if the ball was blasted at Mings, hit him and deflected to Rodri = offside. If he had gone to head it and just misjudged and it had flicked back = onside.

Then you have the normal if they are coming back from play they are not normally flagged initially. I still think it was offside as Rodri went to an area to make the challenge from an offside position on the anticipation of Mings making his normal one per game ballsup. I also think the Lino would have flagged as well but are told not to because "VAR will pick up the offside if a goal is scored" and flagging stops that option.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #211 on: January 21, 2021, 10:02:28 AM »
Regarding our performance. I was delighted with many aspects - what a way to return from an enforced 2-week absence!!
All I'd say is that if we are planning to attack on the break, we need to be more clinical with the few chances we get.

Apart from that, let's move on and rip the Jawdies a new one.
My immediate reaction to the first goal was that Mings had screwed up by dilly-dallying on the ball.
The offside really only dawned in the replay, and then the interpretation of the rules is all: when Mings chests the ball, have we moved into a new phase of the game, thereby legitimising Rodri's involvement in what took place? That's the issue in a nutshell, for me.
i.

If you look at the extracts of the Laws of the Game posted here earlier phases doesn't come into it. The nub of the question is whether Rodri received the ball from Mings (not offside) or challenged him for it (offside). I think it's fairly clear that it's the latter - I really don't see how anyone can argue otherwise -  and PL et al are quoting the wrong part of the law to try and justify their latest failure.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #212 on: January 21, 2021, 10:03:48 AM »
Rodri gains an advantage from an offside position. Fact.

Any other "ifs, buts and maybes" don't come into it.

Does Rodri gain an advantage from an offside position?
Yes.
Then he's offside.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2021, 10:06:23 AM »
Can I just say, we were all lauding VAR as the nail in the coffin of dodgy Sky 6 decisions, but how many dodgy decisions can you remember now that have been given against them using VAR, it just feels like a big fuck you, right in your face with these muppets sitting in the darkened room fucking you over big time and then coming out with some codswallop that didn't make sense last week but does this week.

I'm still raging, my breakfast hasn't calmed me down at all. I need a bloody walk.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2021, 10:07:40 AM »
I think we all know that, had this been Watkins coming back from an offside position, tackling Stones, then laying it off for Grealish to score, it would have been chalked off instantly.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2021, 10:10:04 AM »
What's galling is players have been given offside by the hair of an armpit but then they'll pull this 10 yards offside bullshit on you and excuse it away.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #216 on: January 21, 2021, 10:12:46 AM »
I think we all know that, had this been Watkins coming back from an offside position, tackling Stones, then laying it off for Grealish to score, it would have been chalked off instantly.

Almost certainly.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2021, 10:24:44 AM »

I'm still raging, my breakfast hasn't calmed me down at all. I need a bloody walk.

An aggressive, angry walk just after breakfast often does it for me. Nine times out of ten I drift straight back to sleep.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2021, 10:33:59 AM »

Almost certainly.

And nobody would have argued about it as it would have been blatant.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #219 on: January 21, 2021, 10:37:00 AM »
Looking at the various options for awarding an offside decision, I think I would go for "Making an obvious action which has a clear impact on the ability of an opponent to play the ball". So offside but I would have to say that Rodri did appear to wait for Mings first touch before challenging so maybe he was aware.

For me though, as soon as Rodri, plays that ball, he has gained an advantage from being in an offside position and therefore he must be offside.  Anyway, the media and the rest of football have moved on now - apart from the off " you would have been relegated.........Yes etc.  A lot to be proud of but sadly another potential point lost

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #220 on: January 21, 2021, 10:40:12 AM »
The rule that is being put forward to justify this appalling decision (receiving the ball from an opponent) is really on the books for one principal (only) purpose, which is to allow an attacking player to be in a position where he might legitimately prevent or intercept an intended back pass to the goalkeeper.  It is not to allow or encourage the sort of thing that did us last night and, as others have said, the shite that has been spouted since then, by the so-called experts, is to miss the point entirely, probably deliberately.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #221 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »
Rodri gains an advantage from an offside position. Fact.

Any other "ifs, buts and maybes" don't come into it.

Does Rodri gain an advantage from an offside position?
Yes.
Then he's offside.

Not if he received the ball from a deliberate touch by Mings, in which case there is deemed no gaining of advantage. So onside if Mings had played it to him. This is what the PL are claiming. But he clearly didn't receive it from Mings he took it off his foot.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #222 on: January 21, 2021, 10:41:55 AM »
I do not agree that there is a so called top 6 bias out there and to say so makes us look small time. This is how our neighbours talk about us. There is general incompetence and confusion emanating from muddled rule making and misuse of technology.  To harp on about top 6 bollocks is feeding the monster that is top 6. Fuck them and anyone else let's just sort ourselves out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:40:24 PM by olaftab »

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #223 on: January 21, 2021, 10:43:01 AM »
I want us to try this on Saturday night.

Offline ktvillan

« Reply #224 on: January 21, 2021, 10:44:21 AM »
As for the performance itself there was one brilliant pass from from Jack that was pure De Bruyne, the one where he threaded a pass between two defenders to find McGinn free in the box.  Who then did an air shot when he should have scored. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal